Sad face 'loop' every 15 minutes or so

Hi

Edit (before reading further on – deleting my ~/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml file appears to have resolved the issue… I’ll monitor.

Edit 2 Deleting my guisettings.xml file looked like it had resolved the issue, but it hasn’t – 15 minutes later and the sad face loop has returned.

Original post:

Here are my full logs:
http://paste.osmc.io/garizarira

Background: I hadn’t updated OSMC since around January, because although I was notified of an available update, when running it through Kodi I would get stuck on a screen warning that I had modified my smb.conf, so I might need to reconfigure it after the update. This screen required a Yes/No response and as my RPi 2 is behind my TV I’ve been putting it off.

Today I decided to update, so I SSH in and run sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. All appeared to go smoothly and I was able to get past the smb.conf notice.

On reboot, Kodi goes into a ‘sad face’ loop, showing the home screen for a couple of seconds, then the sad face, back to the home screen and so on, around 10 times (for 30 seconds or so).

After that, it’ll stay on the home screen, thumbnails for my recents will appear, and all seems fine, for around 10 minutes or so, when it’ll jump out of whatever I’m doing or watching, back to the sad face loop.

My speculation:
At the end of the system journal log, I see a lot of this, where the timestamps match what I see happening:

Mar 05 16:31:39 osmc mediacenter[293]: terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::bad_alloc’
Mar 05 16:31:39 osmc mediacenter[293]: what(): std::bad_alloc
Mar 05 16:31:40 osmc sudo[1407]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user osmc
Mar 05 16:31:40 osmc mediacenter[293]: Kodi exited with return code 134 after 0 hours, 14 minutes and 55 seconds
Mar 05 16:31:40 osmc kernel: Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 240x67
Mar 05 16:31:51 osmc mediacenter[293]: Starting Kodi…
Mar 05 16:31:51 osmc sudo[1733]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=osmc ; COMMAND=/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd
Mar 05 16:31:51 osmc sudo[1733]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user osmc by (uid=0)
Mar 05 16:31:51 osmc mediacenter[293]: unknown
Mar 05 16:31:51 osmc mediacenter[293]: unknown
Mar 05 16:31:51 osmc sudo[1741]: osmc : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/mv /tmp/timezone /etc/timezone
Mar 05 16:31:51 osmc sudo[1741]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Mar 05 16:31:51 osmc sudo[1741]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Mar 05 16:31:51 osmc sudo[1744]: osmc : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London /etc/localtime.dpkg-new
Mar 05 16:31:51 osmc sudo[1744]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Mar 05 16:31:52 osmc sudo[1744]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Mar 05 16:31:52 osmc sudo[1747]: osmc : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/mv /etc/localtime.dpkg-new /etc/localtime
Mar 05 16:31:52 osmc sudo[1747]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Mar 05 16:31:52 osmc sudo[1747]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Mar 05 16:31:52 osmc kernel: Console: switching to colour dummy device 80x30

This looks similar to this topic: Kodi 16 keeps on crashing (sad face) every 14-15minutes

However I also found this one: Sad face after update - #22 by Dilligaf
And in my case, if I go into Settings > Services and toggle UPNP, it’ll force a sad face loop.

I’m open to ideas!

Thanks

I know this will sound completely idiotic, but bear with me for a moment …

Have you tried physically power-cycling the box? You don’t say whether it’s an “rPi”, “Vero”, “Vero 2”, …, but I found just a couple of days ago that when I updated our “Vero 2” I got pretty much the symptoms you’re describing.
When the update had finished, there were (very briefly) a load of messages about not being able to write to various files because the filesystem was read-only; then it rebooted, and entered the sad-face loop. And it kept on doing that - I left it for quite a while (about 2 hours) and still, that’s what it kept doing …

So I BRS’ed it (Big Red Switch - yes, I am that old :slightly_smiling:) and lo, back it came, no problems, not a single sad face since.

Now a reboot should re-initialise everything anyway. I’m guessing that, at least in my case, something is being missed that then caused the subsequent sad-face loop. Can’t immediately think what, and I hate advising people to BRS or give the “3 fingered salute”, but in our case that did sort out the problem …

Of course, YMMV :slightly_smiling:

Good luck!

Tris.

You might not like my suggestion but first I would suggest any of the none Kodi supported repositories that a know to create issues. Also enable debug as that might show the issue in the logfile.

And funnily enough, updated today; sad face loop. Nothing useful in what you could see on the screen unfortunately (just apparently register dumps, no stack traces).

And again, power-cycled, no problem since.

(and no, nothing unsupported installed; barely anything that is supported installed! :slightly_smiling:)

I hope you had debug logging enable and if you provide that log we can help you

1 Like

Nope, because I didn’t expect it to happen - (other than when applying updates) my shiny new “Vero 2” is nice and stable thanks :slightly_smiling:
Also, I don’t consider it a problem - in my case, it’s a minor occasional inconvenience.

However that doesn’t help anyone else, and debug logs may, so next time there’s an update to be applied, I’ll enable debug logging then update. Of course, Murphy’s Law says it won’t have a problem then :slightly_smiling:

1 Like