Kodi 18 Released

Sometimes as a developer you’re not always aware of when something can be achieved. It’s not due to ignorance or oversight, but a case of ‘shit happens’. When I can give clear timelines, I do so.

The 4K + shipping situation was complex, but I made sure to keep people as updated as frequently as possible. There is no benefit from lack of communication; only downsides. The shipping backlog was caused by corrupt customs officials in the EU, which forced stringent checks and backlogs.

Kodi v18.x has some issues with its CMake build system. I have workarounds, but I want to fix these in a more appropriate manner before release. I don’t air dirty laundry and don’t like criticising open source projects. I prefer to get things fixed via the appropriate channels. At the moment, I cannot ensure a reproducible build, which is a big no-no for stable releases.

As always – you think something is just a couple of days away but something pushes it back. Something you didn’t know would be an issue.

This is not feasible unfortunately

The last thing I gave a good time frame on was HLG. This led to a critical review of no one but yourself (on AVForums); saying it wouldn’t happen EOY 2018. You weren’t wrong in that regard. This is now ready; but I’m definitely discouraged from putting any dates on anything for the foreseeable future unless I can guarantee it.

Better to say ‘we’re still working on it’ than give a date. In the case of HLG, I can say that we have it running.

3D MVC has been thoroughly looked at, and I still look at it. Unfortunately there is no progress so far in a meaningful context for a user. Once v18 is out of the door, I will look again. There’s a difference between looking at something and producing a measurable result from it however.

There are a lot of things we’re working on – the goal here is to under-promise and over-deliver.

There’s absolutely no reason I’d hold back information from any of our users. I don’t like BS and I don’t understand why sometimes getting an answer from a company is like pulling teeth.

I do appreciate your concerns. v18 will be out the door and it will be soon. I have standards for what constitutes a release; currently they are not being met.

Cheers

Sam

29 Likes