Kodi profile problems following Leia update

Problem
Since updating my Vero4k in the normal release channels, I.e. April update. I’ve had problems when changing from one profile to another.

I have master profile (Mum and Dad), and two additional profiles, (family & kids). This is just to control the media library and parental ratings for programs. I use Emby as the library management server, with with Emby for Kodi addon loaded onto the Vero 4K unit separately for each profile. I’m using the Embruary skin on all profiles.

Prior to April update, the system worked a treat. Now when logging off the non-master profiles, the system delays, sometimes freezes. When logging into the non-master profiles I get the sad face crash and restart. But on rebooting I can access the non-master profiles either family or kids no trouble.

Is this a Kodi Leia issue (which I’ve read is not due to be fixed) or an OMSC issue? Any tips on work arounds to maintain segregation of the library for parental ratings?

Hopefully the debug log files will help
Https://paste.osmc.tv/biqagufudu

Many thanks

Profiles in Leia have quite a few bugs. The bugs affect all platforms (not just OSMC). The OSMC team has done a lot of diagnosis and reported everything upstream to the Kodi developers.

So, there are two groups of developers trying to find solutions, but, it’s going to take some time to find something that works for all platforms.

Unfortunately, the only real workaround right now is to not use profiles in Leia.

I’ve fixed some issues with profiles for the next update.

Thanks Sam, Nabsltd
I was loath to downgrade to 17.6 so hopefully the fixes you mentioned Sam help with the stability.

Profiles have a lot of problems in Leia. And appearently, they will not be fixed (Kodi 19 is appearently dropping support for profiles all-together) There are some work-arounds for the changing profile issue, [SOLVED] Problem with profiles involving dropping an autoexec.py file into the profile to make it re-load the skin automatically.

I already fixed this issue:

Not sure if it belongs upstream; particularly if v19 will drop profile support.

Sam

To be fair I’m not really worried about lots of variations (skins & adding) per profile, I was more interested in different media libraries per user. At the moment the “log off” user, and from the main kodi start page, profile “log in” seems to be struggling (freezing and crashing).

But happy to wait for Sam’s bug fixes before looking at options as the TV stays on the kids profile 99% of the time anyway.

There is nominally a year to wait for v19 and dropping profile support. There will be something else to replace the process I’m sure.

Jenkins is building.

I’ve noticed on mine that path substitutions for sources.xml and other files and folders in the profiles to nfs paths have stopped working reliably with the leia update. So I solved it now with a mount in fstab and symlinks, which works fine for my vera 4k and raspberries, but not for my laptop. Are the fixes likely to also fix this issue?

Absolutely.

Hopefully the issue is now addressed.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Haven’t changed / noticed issues in this area.

Sam

Ok. I will test again after the next regular update and provide debug logs if i notice an issue.

Hello Sam,

Just had a quick try of the updated code, and sadly on just a very quick try the Vero 4K froze. On reboot I used one of the non-master profiles (kids), logged out…which took quite some time, then attempted to log into the master profile. The screen froze, although I was still able to access the Vero unit by the command line.

Do you have a log of this?
This wasn’t an issue that I was trying to fix with the changes.

Hi Sam,
I’ve the original log from the post above,
B
ut then following your updated script I have this log below. This may not reveal anything, as I’ve only enabled debug logging on the master profile

https://paste.osmc.tv/ususumerop

I’ve also had the “hang when logging out of a profile” issue, although it [anecdotally] seems to mostly be a problem when using on of the “heavier” skins (Aon Nox Silvo, etc). Using lyreird (Mimic’s replacement) which is much more lightweight, it seems to just sometimes take a couple minutes.

I frequently see complaints such as these:

2019-05-09 18:15:24.642 T:3619754720 WARNING: CPythonInvoker(2, /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.artwork.beef/service.py): the python script "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.artwork.beef/service.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: N14PythonBindings31XBMCAddon_xbmc_Monitor_DirectorE,N9XBMCAddon7xbmcgui16DialogProgressBGE
2019-05-09 18:15:29.646 T:4069175296   ERROR: CPythonInvoker(3, /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.common.plugin.cache/default.py): script didn't stop in 5 seconds - let's kill it
2019-05-09 18:15:29.886 T:3594576608 WARNING: CPythonInvoker(5, /usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.updates/service.py): the python script "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.updates/service.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: N9XBMCAddon7xbmcgui6WindowE,N9XBMCAddon7xbmcgui12ControlImageE,N14PythonBindings31XBMCAddon_xbmc_Monitor_DirectorE

So could be a case of miss-behaving helper plugins. (note when I copied these errors just now, it actually logged out fairly quick, although I had just logged in, so the problematic plugins may not have actually had time to start up and cause issues yet)

note, I also find it very annoying that it auto-logs-in to the admin user when logging out of a profile, which requires another autoexec.py to make it automatically log out of admin again to get you back to the “pick a profile” screen, which adds another minute to the whole process of switching users)

EDIT: I suppose I should add that sometimes I just get the frowny screen instead, which means kodi crashed… but that usually means less time waiting (since it starts back up again instead of sitting in a hung state) so is actually preferrable… I’m wondering if instead of “log off” I should instead just have a menu item for “restart” to keep things more stable?

I’d really need full logs to look in to this, with debugging enabled.
Snippets are not very useful.

I’m happy to polish this a bit as v19 is quite a way off; but the time I spend on this will be a bit more limited as I know it’s getting the chop in the next release.

Sam

I’m going to be sort-of rude and chip in with a “me too”…

This may already be addressed the skin loading fix, but my symptoms are:
Two profiles - Master with all media and “Kids” with stuff appropriate for my kids…
Confluence skin
TVHeadend PVR on a separate machine
Raspberry Pi devices (1B, 2B, 3B)
On every machine that was updated, some of the text doesn’t appear on the interface (the large labels across the middle of the home screen) until the skin was changed away from Confluence and back to Confluence. This needed done each time the profile was logged out and logged in again.
The TV guide was transposed so that the channel names on the leftmost column were correct, but the shows on each channel were moved up by one row (the channel 1 / BBC1 shows were missing entirely)

I updated 4 devices, and all 4 did this.

I had profile problems on the update to Krypton too, so I just reverted. I can wait for a fix, but there’ll be tears if I break the TVs! :slight_smile:

This has since been fixed.

Ah. Outstanding! I didn’t think it’d take long to be noticed. :slight_smile:
So is that just a case of waiting for the next update to be flagged on the blog, or is it ready for me to update already?

Thanks!