Kodi unable to update any of the addons. If used skin has update results in black screen

Hello.

I have now some rpi2 model b that cannot update any of the addons. Even after updating them to august latest update did not resolve the problem with addons.

Basically what happens is that not even one addon that is installed and has an update cannot deploy the update.
Not only that but there is no abbility to install new addons. Already tried that with no success.

Now in case one of the addons that has an update is the skin in use then the rpi is trying to update it and the moment it fails to do it the screen becomes black with the rpi and kodi working in the background normally. And all you can see is sometimes fragments of the skin in use, or words on the screen.
A reboot solved temporarelly this problem, just until kodi try again to update the skin.

One solution to this is to either use a skin that does not have an update, or stop automatic updates in kodi. Either way they do not work anymore.

Device: (Rasp Pi 2 Model B)
Installation media: (SDcard)
Connection: (Wired or Wifi) It does not matter. Still addons are not able to update
Power Supply Type: 5V
Power specs: 2A
Peripherals: (USB hub, Wifi Adapter)
Storage Device (incl. Network Sharing Protocol): (USB drive)
Codecs: (mpeg2)
Audio/Video Output: (HDMI)
Overclocked: No
Config.txt Extras: No
LINK to uploaded logs in pastebin: http://paste.osmc.io/sulusomapo

unfortunatelly the user that gave me the logs did not enabled debbuging.
If those logs are not enough i can ask him to do it.

in case anyother user gets a black screen a while after they get into kodi either disable automatic updates of addons in kodi or use a skin that has no newer update.

Thanks in advance

ps This might come handy since i took a look in the logs

WARNING: Delete: Can't access file "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf"
13:54:35 142.025604 T:1668281376   ERROR: Delete - Error deleting file /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf
13:54:35 142.025879 T:1668281376   ERROR: Delete - Error deleting file special://home/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf
13:54:35 142.031281 T:1739379744 WARNING: No information found for item '/media/SAMSUNG/Savvas/Family Guy Megapack/Family Guy Season 10/Family.Guy.S10E04.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi', it won't be added to the library.
13:54:35 142.310333 T:1668281376 WARNING: Delete: Can't access file "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf"
13:54:35 142.310593 T:1668281376   ERROR: Delete - Error deleting file /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf
13:54:35 142.310852 T:1668281376   ERROR: Delete - Error deleting file special://home/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf
13:54:35 142.311722 T:1668281376   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[skin.amber]: could not read addon description of special://home/addons/skin.amber

I believe I am having the same issue, although I am using the default skin.

08:54:41 32000.720703 T:3023946288 ERROR: unable to load:/usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.osmc/16x9/DialogSeekBar.xml, Line 0
Error document empty.
08:54:41 32000.720703 T:3023946288 INFO: Loading skin file: VideoOSDSettings.xml, load type: LOAD_ON_GUI_INIT
08:54:41 32000.722656 T:3023946288 ERROR: unable to load:/usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.osmc/16x9/VideoOSDSettings.xml, Line 0
Error document empty.
08:54:41 32000.722656 T:3023946288 INFO: Loading skin file: VideoOSDSettings.xml, load type: LOAD_ON_GUI_INIT
08:54:41 32000.724609 T:3023946288 ERROR: unable to load:/usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.osmc/16x9/VideoOSDSettings.xml, Line 0
Error document empty.

1 Like

can you install a new addon or if you have any of the old ones that have an update can they update?

also forgot to say. this did not happend after the latest osmc update. this already exists at the one before august 30 update.

i also used recovery console to be sure that the sd card does not have a broken partition or something but it says it is clean.

Your skin seems to be corrupt (empty files) most likely due to a failed upgrade. Try forcing a reinstallation of your skin like so:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mediacenter-skin-osmc --reinstall

Then reboot.

its not only the skin addon. I cannot update any of the addons that have an update. I cannot install any new addon.

Also any ideas are quite hard to test and will take some time. I do not have any of the rpi 2 with me. All 3 of them are in different houses owned by different friends.

So it will take me some time.

I was actually replying to Bryan there…

oh really sorry my friend.

No problem - I replied from my phone and it’s too difficult to quote the message when posting from a phone to make it clear who you’re replying to…

Replying to your original post, it’s very hard to understand what exactly you are trying to describe - whether you have a graphical glitch issue in the skin, or whether you have a network connection issue that is preventing addons being downloaded.

From looking at the log it appears that Amber is the skin in use ? It looks like it may be corrupt:

13:53:30  77.582451 T:1649407008 WARNING: Delete: Can't access file "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf"
13:53:30  77.582779 T:1649407008   ERROR: Delete - Error deleting file /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf
13:53:30  77.583061 T:1649407008   ERROR: Delete - Error deleting file special://home/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf
13:53:31  77.808441 T:1739379744 WARNING: No information found for item '/media/SAMSUNG/Savvas/American Dad/S7/AD0711.avi', it won't be added to the library.
13:53:31  77.884460 T:1649407008 WARNING: Delete: Can't access file "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf"
13:53:31  77.884735 T:1649407008   ERROR: Delete - Error deleting file /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf
13:53:31  77.885017 T:1649407008   ERROR: Delete - Error deleting file special://home/addons/skin.amber/fonts/Default.ttf
13:53:31  77.886055 T:1649407008   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[skin.amber]: could not read addon description of special://home/addons/skin.amber

If so, what I would suggest is to switch to another skin like Confluence, then completely delete amber from the .kodi folder:

rm -rf /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/

Then reboot and re-install the skin. Also please keep in mind that Amber is not in the official repo’s anymore because it was not being kept up to date with Helix or Isengard.

So make sure you manually download the very latest Git version of Amber from the author. (Or just use a different skin)

the problem is that system is not able to download/install or update any addon/skin/subtitle/or anything else

so the system is stuck with anything it already has in it.
it is not able to update them at all
if you look at the logs you will see the system is trying to update another addon with same exactly results

if you try to install something new you just get a huge error
same with updating.

and that problem appeared in 3 installations almost the same time.
3 installations i 3 different houses with 3 different routers with 3 different providers.

all installations have internet connection and the system was able to even update to latest version of osmc. but it is not able to update or even install any addon.

and no the 3 installations are not image of the same one. they are completly different installations.

try to get into recovery console with hold down shift key, the message i got is system is clean.

so it is not only the skin. but if the skin is among the addons that have an update version ready to be installed then kodi downloads the version and when it try to install it it fails and the screen gets black.
But it is not only the skin. Nothing inside kodi can be updated.

It may not only be the skin that cannot update, but if the skin is failing to update due to corruption in the skin files then it may prevent any other addons from updating as well.

So please try what I suggested. You are not going to have a stable system when you are running a skin that is corrupt and cannot even update itself without failing.

i have already changed skin. still no addons can be updated, still no new addons can be installed.

i have already updated by hand all the addons that needed update (at least on one of the installations i had the time to do it), and still when a new update appeared in an addon it failed. still there is no way to install any new addons.

2 out of 3 installations only uses amber. the last one uses osmc skin and does not even have amber installed. even in that installation no addon can be updated, no new addon can be installed.

Listen to what he says.

Do what he suggests.

That is all.

but as i said twice or three times till now i have done that. i have deleted the skin and i have changed to confluence.

Also i have a system with exact same problems that does not have amber skin installed and the user works with osmc skin.
what will i do in that system?

If so, what I would suggest is to switch to another skin like Confluence, then completely delete amber from the .kodi folder:

rm -rf /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/skin.amber/
Uninstalled skin from within kodi, checked the .kodi/addons and the folder is not there any more.

Then reboot and re-install the skin. Also please keep in mind that Amber is not in the official repo’s anymore because it was not being kept up to date with Helix or Isengard.

But after reboot even with the skin deleted i still have 6 addons that get me error on updating, and i get also errors if i try to install any new addon

So make sure you manually download the very latest Git version of Amber from the author. (Or just use a different skin)

it does not work even without addon.

i am getting tired of saying the same and same and same all over again and again.

i have uninstalled the skin. at least it lets me do that.
i have made sure the folder of the skin is not there any more.
i have changed for good to confluence.

Still i cannot install addons from withing kodi.
still i cannot update addons from within kodi.

i have installed all the addons that needed updates via console (download them unzip them and copy them to the addons folder).
After that i have no addons that needs update.
Still i cannot download addons from within kodi.
And if another addon gets a new version the update fails.

So i am left in 3 systems with no automatic updates of addons from within kodi. I can only update them by hand by erasing all the files of an addon and manually transfering the new files there.

I even have one system that does not have amber installed, it has only osmc skin and confluence that does not let me update any addons, that does not let me download any addons.

what exactly did the man said that i did not do already?

Try this:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mediacenter-addon-osmc

If that fails to help, run nano /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/autoexec.py and insert the following:

import xbmc
xbmc.setosmcwalkthroughstatus(2)

And run

sudo systemctl restart mediacenter

Can you install addons now…? Can you change skin now?

I’d like to see a debug log that demonstrates this…

i will reply tommorow i just left to go home. got quite tired of this just with the thought i have to start from scratch 3 systems.

anyway before i erase anything i will try as you wish and report back. it might help you in the long run who knows.

do you need any logs before i do them and after?

i will happily provide one tommorow.

i can provide more from the other two rpi2 but that will take me some days till i manage to go there.

really i do not have any need to mess your time or anything like that. Damn i am not in need of attention either.

Thank you very much. That did the trick. :grinning:

I am new to kodi. I am having the same issue but where do u input the suggested code?