Kodi v19 Matrix is here. Here's what you need to know - OSMC

That’s the plan, but we don’t have a timeline for when a test build will drop at the moment.

You welcome on the tip. Just make sure you check the setting in backup before running it to make sure your grabbing/restoring everything you want. If you happen to have any issue just exclude guisetting.xml from the restore as that is the only file that seems to ever cause any issue with switching platforms.

Will the test builds support 3D MVC on the Vero 4k or do we need to wait for when the new kernel test build development merges into the main releases?

My guess would be that the test builds will include the new kernel, thus with MVC.

Correct.

Out of curiosity as a fellow Plex user, what skin are you using on your Vero 4K+? I use Embuary and have for a while but wondering if there are other/better options I haven’t explored.

I’ve a question concerning KODI 19 + RPi4 and the both HDMI Outputs. Will it be possible to mirror the display or any other advanced functionalities?

1 Like

It will be part of the stable v19 release.

2 Likes

I haven’t switched my Vero over yet but I did give Plex a once around on a RPi 4 and it doesn’t seem to act any different on Matrix than it does under Leia with my Vero. I have 2001 playing right now in 4K HDR and DTS MA using the official Plex add-on and I’m not seeing any issues.

Is Kodi 18.9 (eg on a Pi1) able to coexist via shared database with Kodi 19 (eg on a Pi3/4)?

Yes, but they would “coexists” means two different databases as they will have different versions.

I should have been clearer but your answer covers it.
It means Kodi 19 has new tables so no interoperability between 18 and 19 … so people with shared library need to update all at the same time if they want to keep things in step.

So I guess it is finally time to retire my secondary RPi1 that has run for years and get RPi3/4 and new power supply.

The functionality of the Pi4 will be pretty gimped for the foreseeable future ( just a fair warning)

You can update them separately and use Trakt to sync watched status. That being said The original RPi IMO is painfully slow compared to newer models and not worth hanging onto given the fairly low upgrade cost.

All RPi’s are going to be partially gimped due to loosing some of the hardware decoding support with the Kodi 19 update. The RPi 4 performs better than model 3 does with Matrix and I’ve not seen any downsides to the upgraded hardware so far.

As someone not native in English but still pretty decent at it I have trouble understanding that statement.

You are saying that all Rpis will lose hardware decoding wich I think is vital because the CPU on most SoCs in this price range is too slow to decode in software.

And then you are saying that Rpi4 performs better with matrix then older Rpis… but what does it perform better considering video playback is gimped due to no hardware decoding?

They will lose some hardware video decoding functionality, not all.

Pi 4 has a faster CPU, so there are less noticeable effects of this for some formats.

The most observable issue presently is the lack of deinterlacing.

1 Like

Due to changes in Kodi there is no more OMX or MMAL support for the RPi. There is new hardware support, but as Sam just stated, their is currently no deinterlacing support in that hardware decoder. With progressive sources my RPi 3 seems to play without issue. My RPi 4 plays the same, but it is a bit faster in the UI, and it adds the ability to play 4K HEVC and do HD audio passthrough. If someone was planning on purchasing a new RPi I can’t think of any advantage to purchasing an older model. If someone was in need of playing progressive sources they would, in my opinion, as of right now, be better off sticking with Kodi 18 or purchasing a Vero.

The only thing worth mentioning here is that HD audio won’t happen until we do a Debian Bullseye (11) release as we need a newer version of libasound. The current Debian Buster (10) version is too old.

I suspect that’s a bit over a year away.

MMAL is still used / supported on these devices, but the V4L2 interface is the direct API used via Kodi. V4L2 is a shim around MMAL.

Sam

My Vero box tells me it is no longer supported and consequently I can’t update Kofi. Can you confirm that this is the case?

Terence

We need more info to provide an answer. There have been 4 iterations of the Vero. Which one do you have? If it’s a Vero4k or Vero4k+, we’re going to need to see logs or possibly just a screenshot of this (notification?) to understand what you are describing.

@paulwebster by saying keeping things in step you mean syncing watch status between 18 and 19 instead of using mysql you could use the service plugin I wrote at GitHub - watchedsyncforkodi/service.watchedsync: Real-time watched status video library synchronisation between multiple kodi devices

A Kodi 19 version is in the works (waiting for 19.1 to be issued)