Kodi v19 Matrix is here. Here's what you need to know - OSMC

Hey @sam_nazarko,

Wonderful news, here are some questions from a Vero 4K owner:

1. Any approximate timeline for this change (June, September, December etc.)?
  2. If I understood properly Kodi 19 should improve the playback for 4k and HDR files (among other thousand improvements). That would be what I am looking forward at least. Can you confirm?

I hope that by the time OSMC moves to Kodi 19, Plex for Kodi addon will function properly. I tried to play around with it yesterday on my phone and it was unstable. I use this addon 100% of the time except for the moments when I stop playing a 4k movie and then it crashes my Vero when I try to play the movie again 2 days later and I am forced to watch it through the Kodi interface.

All the best and keep up doing the hard work. You are doing an awesome job.

I bought the codecs and am generally happy with my setup right now on a RPi 3B – although I am working on a challenge right now. I don’t use the RPi for music. Based on everything I’ve seen here, I think my strategy will be to stay on the November 2020 release until a release targeting the RPi 4 becomes a stable and “fully” functional, then either switch to it or a Vero.

With that in mind, I’m inclined to suppress update available messages by going to My OSMC >Updates> Schedule and, for “How often do you want to check for updates”, selecting “Never”. This seems to make sense to me unless the team here will be maintaining a separate release branch for folks like me who’d like to stay with the November 2020 release product. I suspect that’s not the case since it would involve a lot of extra work.

Thanks for any advice.

That’s not going to happen. There won’t be any more updates of Leia from Team Kodi.

So, my suspicion was correct. :slightly_smiling_face: I understand completely. Thank you.

I realize you don’t like to give an ETA about when the test builds will be released and will release when it’s ready. I however was wondering if you can give an indication if it’s going to be days/weeks/months.

I am a rpi 4 user and am debating whether to put libreelec on it if the test build is going to take a while still, but would massively prefer OSMC

I am sorry if this question is tiresome

I’m not sure they’re actually able to answer that question. I suspect it depends (for example) on when Kodi 19.1 comes out - and that isn’t under their control.

If you want to get that device up today just install LE on it today. If you to move that Kodi setup to OSMC when it becomes available just install “Backup” from the Kodi repository and use that to backup in LE and then restore it in OSMC using the same.

1 Like

I was under the impression that the test build was coming before kodi 19.1 was released and that they’re waiting on 19.1 for the first stable release.

Also darwin design thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

That’s the plan, but we don’t have a timeline for when a test build will drop at the moment.

You welcome on the tip. Just make sure you check the setting in backup before running it to make sure your grabbing/restoring everything you want. If you happen to have any issue just exclude guisetting.xml from the restore as that is the only file that seems to ever cause any issue with switching platforms.

Will the test builds support 3D MVC on the Vero 4k or do we need to wait for when the new kernel test build development merges into the main releases?

My guess would be that the test builds will include the new kernel, thus with MVC.

Correct.

Out of curiosity as a fellow Plex user, what skin are you using on your Vero 4K+? I use Embuary and have for a while but wondering if there are other/better options I haven’t explored.

I’ve a question concerning KODI 19 + RPi4 and the both HDMI Outputs. Will it be possible to mirror the display or any other advanced functionalities?

1 Like

It will be part of the stable v19 release.

2 Likes

I haven’t switched my Vero over yet but I did give Plex a once around on a RPi 4 and it doesn’t seem to act any different on Matrix than it does under Leia with my Vero. I have 2001 playing right now in 4K HDR and DTS MA using the official Plex add-on and I’m not seeing any issues.

Is Kodi 18.9 (eg on a Pi1) able to coexist via shared database with Kodi 19 (eg on a Pi3/4)?

Yes, but they would “coexists” means two different databases as they will have different versions.

I should have been clearer but your answer covers it.
It means Kodi 19 has new tables so no interoperability between 18 and 19 … so people with shared library need to update all at the same time if they want to keep things in step.

So I guess it is finally time to retire my secondary RPi1 that has run for years and get RPi3/4 and new power supply.

The functionality of the Pi4 will be pretty gimped for the foreseeable future ( just a fair warning)