Kodi v19 Matrix is here. Here's what you need to know - OSMC

You can update them separately and use Trakt to sync watched status. That being said The original RPi IMO is painfully slow compared to newer models and not worth hanging onto given the fairly low upgrade cost.

All RPi’s are going to be partially gimped due to loosing some of the hardware decoding support with the Kodi 19 update. The RPi 4 performs better than model 3 does with Matrix and I’ve not seen any downsides to the upgraded hardware so far.

As someone not native in English but still pretty decent at it I have trouble understanding that statement.

You are saying that all Rpis will lose hardware decoding wich I think is vital because the CPU on most SoCs in this price range is too slow to decode in software.

And then you are saying that Rpi4 performs better with matrix then older Rpis… but what does it perform better considering video playback is gimped due to no hardware decoding?

They will lose some hardware video decoding functionality, not all.

Pi 4 has a faster CPU, so there are less noticeable effects of this for some formats.

The most observable issue presently is the lack of deinterlacing.

1 Like

Due to changes in Kodi there is no more OMX or MMAL support for the RPi. There is new hardware support, but as Sam just stated, their is currently no deinterlacing support in that hardware decoder. With progressive sources my RPi 3 seems to play without issue. My RPi 4 plays the same, but it is a bit faster in the UI, and it adds the ability to play 4K HEVC and do HD audio passthrough. If someone was planning on purchasing a new RPi I can’t think of any advantage to purchasing an older model. If someone was in need of playing progressive sources they would, in my opinion, as of right now, be better off sticking with Kodi 18 or purchasing a Vero.

The only thing worth mentioning here is that HD audio won’t happen until we do a Debian Bullseye (11) release as we need a newer version of libasound. The current Debian Buster (10) version is too old.

I suspect that’s a bit over a year away.

MMAL is still used / supported on these devices, but the V4L2 interface is the direct API used via Kodi. V4L2 is a shim around MMAL.

Sam

My Vero box tells me it is no longer supported and consequently I can’t update Kofi. Can you confirm that this is the case?

Terence

We need more info to provide an answer. There have been 4 iterations of the Vero. Which one do you have? If it’s a Vero4k or Vero4k+, we’re going to need to see logs or possibly just a screenshot of this (notification?) to understand what you are describing.

@paulwebster by saying keeping things in step you mean syncing watch status between 18 and 19 instead of using mysql you could use the service plugin I wrote at GitHub - watchedsyncforkodi/service.watchedsync: Real-time watched status video library synchronisation between multiple kodi devices

A Kodi 19 version is in the works (waiting for 19.1 to be issued)

Hi Terence,

My understanding is that you have a Vero 2.
Support for this device is now end of life.

It will stay working and you will be able to download images from Download - OSMC for the foreseeable future, but there is no planned update to Kodi v19 for this device.

Sam

Apart from the Vero 4K is one to which I could upgrade?

Terence

The Vero 4K + is the latest model to upgrade to.
There is no immediate need to do so – if your device is still working and doing what you want, then you should just keep using it.

Sam

2 Likes

Thanks.
I took a quick look (not installed yet)
Is there a distinct thread on this where I can ask a few questions rather than using this Kodi 19 thread?

Been a long time here, is V19 kodi matrix available for vero 4K yet?

We are already testing it internally. We will make some public test builds available very shortly.

3 Likes

ok good to know, thank you Sam !

Will Kodi 19 bring Dolby Vision MKV support to OSMC Vero 4K player?

No, osmc will probably never support Dolby vision because for that to happen they would need to lock down the device wich goes against the open source philosophy

IMO, you should operate on the assumption that the Vero 4K(+) will never support Dolby Vision in any form.

1 Like

Kodi 19.1 released