Leia: subtitles not working ?!

Hi,

Since i switched to leia the closed captions to the video is not displayed.

I note in the videos that it’s about the format UTF-8.

Regards.

What device are you using?
Can you upload some logs and MediaInfo for your file?

Sam

Yes Rpi 3B+

Example movie, Logs here:

> ID                                       : 3
> Format                                   : UTF-8
> Identifiant du codec                     : S_TEXT/UTF8
> Identifiant du codec/Info                : UTF-8 Plain Text
> Durée                                    : 50 min 46s
> Débit                                    : 0 b/s
> ElementCount                             : 6
> Taille du flux                           : 197 Octets (0%)
> Titre                                    : French Forced
> Langue                                   : Français
> Default                                  : Oui
> Forced                                   : Oui

That looks like a srt that only contains a couple lines for foreign dialog and not the entire movie. Are you sure it is actually not working?

Yes, I’m sure it does not work on some video with UTF-8 from what I’ve seen.

Does not work on “some”? So are you saying that the subtitles are working on some videos and not others? If you select a different subtitle in the same video does it work then?

Yes, no one works, I noticed that movies with UTF-8 subtitles do not work.

For example manga with ASS, no problem.

Is this related to the problem where you need to set a subtitle language?
I think @JimKnopf knew about this in more detail.

No, that I leave by default or choose my language is the same.

Sorry, doesn’t ring a bell to me.

If you run the video calibration can you see the subtitle bar? I’m wondering if somehow it is getting pushed off the screen.

Hi, yes is visible.

I made an installation on another SD card, and it works.

Yet the parameters are the same, I do not understand ?!

There is another place to look ?

https://paste.osmc.tv/ufazirudub.coffee

So, in summary you have an installation where the subtitles work and another where it doesn’t.
I suggest to take logs after trying to playback the same video on each of the installations. Sounds to be just a setting issue/difference and might be someone can figure out the delta.

You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Hi,

Here are the logs of the 2 installations with the same film and the same passage.

I do not see where the problem could be.

Here my install (subtitle not work) https://paste.osmc.tv/axetunoker

Here new install (subtitle work) https://paste.osmc.tv/qobihahani

CSettingsManager: requested setting (kodion.subtitle.language) was not found.

The parameters are not the same between the two installs. The one that does not work has the subtitle language set to French and the one that works is set to English. If you go to Add-ons->My add-ons->All is the French language installed?

1 Like

Yes he is present:

Perhaps you should just transition to the new install. It is a bit difficult to try to make sense of the information that is actually given. You said the issue was only with UTF-8 but the two files with info shown are both ones with only a couple lines of dialog, ie NOT full srt files. Furthermore the comparison logs that you said one worked and one didn’t is a subrip so your then talking about something completely different.

I suspect BSPlayer grabbed some bad downloads and everything else is just smoke but i’m not going to chase a moving target.

I do not understand me too. whether the subtitles forced or not when it’s UTF-8 it does not show up.

I do not download subtitles, these are the subtitles present in the video files.

The problem appeared when i made the update to kodi 18

Hi,

I solved the problem, it’s because of “adjust display refresh rate”.

I always put it on “On Start / Stop”. Only when I set it to “No” it displays the subtitles. I did not have this problem before Leia.

By cons I do not understand why it prevents the subtitles to be displayed ?

An idea ?

Could it be that the TV has different overscan for different resolution/frequency which would cause the subtitles to be off screen?
Does the picture looks the same (besides the missing subtitle) when you have Adjust Refresh Rate on?