Lip-sync errors after latest update?

GrahamH: Thanks. But I’m confused.
In response to BGIYYZ saying "…> may have thought it should be set to 4K". you said…

Common misconception. There is no benefit to having the GUI at more than 1080p. When you upgraded, the resolution may have changed without your knowledge. This is a one-off. You ended up with vero having to convert resolution, refresh rate and aspect ratio which is a bit of a stretch.

Just set Adjust refresh rate to ‘On start/stop’ and you should be good for both HDTV and 4k video.

I assume this was what you were referring to when you suggested that I…

“Have a look at the solution in that thread with the Talk video and check your resolution settings to rule that out.”

My resolution has always been 3840 x 2160 x 60HZ, although I’ve just noticed that the refresh is now 23.98.

Are you saying the res should be set to 1920 x 1080P?

Yes, the GUI should always be set to 1080P. Refresh rate can be your choice, but it’s recommended that you set it to match your most often watched content.

Then why does the Vero have 4K in its name?

The Vero 4K can play 2160p video just fine. It’s an issue with the Kodi skins not being designed for 2160p. There is not skin at this time with artwork or the design to really work in 2160p.

Just switch the GUI to 1080p, you will not notice a difference, but it may fix your problem. Just make sure you have ‘Adjust Refresh Rate’ set to ‘Start/Stop’

Okay, I reset it to 1920 x 1080p x 60HZ.
You’re right - there’s no apparent difference in appearance, I guess that’s mainly because the majority of my movies and TV shows are in 1080 or less.
I have one one file that was shot at 12k - an aerial view of New York - but I’ve just played it at 3840 x 2160, then 1980 x 1200 and I can’t see any difference.

Also, after the res reset to 1080, the Endeavour Morse episode has no lip-sync issues.

One question: There’s no ‘Start/Stop’ in the refresh rate chart of figures. Is that somewhere else?
The config is the latest, BTW: Leia 18, is it?

The 1080p setting is just for the GUI. If you have:

Setting > Player > Adjust display refresh rate = Start/Stop

Then the resolution will be adjusted to the video’s resolution when it starts.

Now I’m REALLY confused. All of that previous palaver was just about the KODI GUI?
Which would explain why there was no difference in appearance of the 12K New York video.

OK, so I’ve found the ‘On Start/Stop’ setting for the refresh rate.
Is there also a setting for player resolution? Or is that automatic?

On Start/Stop changes the resolution to match the currently playing video.

When you are at the GUI, the resolution will be 1080. When you start the video, the resolution will switch to match the video, so for 4K it would switch to 2160p. When the video stops and the GUI returns resolution will go back to 1080p

bmillham, thanks again. You’ve been very patient and informative :wink:

One last question: Do you know if anyone has created a thorough How-To-Do-It of all the various KODI settings? Just looking through the details in the various menus makes me wonder if I have everything properly set up.

That’s a really difficult one to answer. It depends on what settings you are talking about as some are just personal preference.

The main settings are the Start/Stop, GUI at 1080 and if you are using an AVR you probably want audio passthrough on.

After you changed the GUI to 1080, did your lip sync problems go away? That’s the real focus here.

By AVR do you mean a Sky box, DVD player, etc? Or an actual AVR - an ‘audio\video recorder’?

Re the GUI at 1080p, yes, I think the lip-sync issue went away. But I don’t see why. I mean, those settings only affect the GUI, don’t they?

It seems kinda like changing your shoes to make your hat fit better :thinking:

If the GUI is set to 2160p and you don’t have Setting > Player > Adjust display refresh rate set then everything you play that isn’t 2160p will be up converted and frame rate adjusted. That’s a lot of work.

The important point is setting the player to ‘adjust refresh rate’. I suspect that before the update to Leia, your GUI was set to a refresh rate which was more compatible with the videos you were playing so it worked better, even though the refresh rate wasn’t switching. There is a glitch in the update process that can change the GUI resolution settings. You and @BGIYYZ and potentially anyone else with their GUI set to 4k were affected similarly.

So yes and yes.

Adjust refresh rate will switch to a higher resolution if the video is a higher resolution but it won’t switch to a lower resolution (eg 1080p when the GUI is set to 4k). That behaviour hasn’t changed between Krypton and Leia, as long as you don’t mess with whitelisting.

Actually, given that there was almost no documentation about the KODI\OSMC settings when I bought the Vero 4K in January last year, I just guessed what the start-up settings should be. And, IMHO, it’s counter-intuitive to have a new and unknown device labeled ‘…4K’ and be expected to set anything in the configurations at less than 3840 x 2160. So, yes, the GUI was set at 3840 x 2160 x 60HZ and has been that way ever since. Until just now, when BGIYYZ said ‘wrong’.

And lip-sync issues have occurred before now, but very infrequently, and I’ve usually been able to resync the movie with the Audio-Offset control.

But honestly, guys, if it’s so crucial that the GUI be set at 1080 and the refresh at ‘On Start\Stop’, why isn’t there a small piece of paper in the packaging that says this? Or some warning in the config menus?

I don’t think you guys really appreciate how esoteric the Vero can be to people who have no experience with it. I have a LOT of experience with Windows software and hardware, but it wasn’t until you, Graham, answered another member’s plea, that I finally learnt, three month after buying the thing, how to make the Vero talk to my Windows network.

OK, I have it working now, more or less, but it’s been a long frustrating journey to get to this point.

It’s not ‘crucial’ to set the GUI to 1080, as you have found over the last year. You just get a smoother GUI experience and most people find using their TV’s upscaler gives better results than using Kodi’s. The glitch came with the Kodi update which changed the way resolutions are stored in Settings. It meant most people (with a 1080p GUI) ended up with a 720p or lower resolution, which was obvious needed re-setting. The effect on people with a 2160p GUI was more subtle, so sorry it took a while to nail down, which we were able to do thanks to users who submitted debug logs.

…and probably the resolution was 4096 x 2160, like BGIYYZ’s.

There’s an internal debate about how much to put on the printed user guide. Too much, and it risks going out-of-date before a print run is used up.

Let us know if you have any further issues.

Maybe it’s an idea to refer to a page on the site with recommendations of first steps/settings. Then you’re not going to be “out-of-date” and could follow the latest versions.

1 Like

We had a quick start card for other products.

On the new website, it definitely makes sense to have an online manual and just refer users to it in the box, where they can always get the latest information in one place.

Sam

1 Like

https://kodi.wiki/view/Quick_start_guide

That wasn’t the guide — and it’s not that applicable for the Vero

This information is platform agnostic for any user who is new to Kodi though.