i agree with fzinken never rc.local use fstab for mounts

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

should help you get along

Or quick and easy here from the forum

Thanks @fzinken & @Toast
In regards to rc.local, I will wipe that out. I was following:

Instead of rc.local I will alter fstab when next home as per

Using (sudo nano /etc/fstab)
//192.168.1.139/osmc/roms /home/osmc/roms cifs nobrl,uid=1000,sec=ntlmv2,user= guestread,pass= MyRealPass,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

I believe I need to confirm the uid via
sudo id osmc

Where do I keep the symlink for tying the /osmc/roms folder to /osmc/RetroPie/roms? Just after the fstab mount?
ln -s /home/osmc/roms /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms

Thanks again!

ok no idea why mcobit would say such a thing but fstab is the proper way.

mount directly to the retropie folder thats what i did worked just fine for me

@Toast Awesome, I will try the following in fstab then :wink:

//192.168.1.139/osmc/roms /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms cifs nobrl,uid=1000,sec=ntlmv2,user= guestread,pass= MyRealPass,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

@mcobit shame on you :stuck_out_tongue: J/K, thanks for the help

Edited my post to prevent others from doing it.

1 Like

Cheers…
If I can get SMB/NAS rom storage and 2 8bitdo controllers working well in RetrOsmc I plan on sharing a How-To

I Had this working in Dual Boot Recalbox, however the update to 4.3 beta broke badly… that forum support does not have the robust backing that this community has… and GitHub updates of Recal look very sparse in comparison to Retro. While the setup of RetrOsmc/Retropi may be harder (due to Gui limitations and info scattered about), it at least appears to be more active.

on what how to mount a smb folder ?

2 parts
1 - Retrosmc 8bitdo multi-controller setup
2 - footnote on SMB ROM folder mount

Just get mcobit to add the smb part having partial howtos just gets messy

hmm…

SSH into a freshly rebooted system after rc.local has been cleared out…

The following works fine…

sudo mount -t cifs -o user=guestread,password=XXX //192.168.1.139/osmc/roms /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms

But what I want to believe needs to go into fstab results in the error: -bash: //192.168.1.139/osmc/roms: No such file or directory

//192.168.1.139/osmc/roms /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms cifs nobrl,uid=1000,sec=ntlmv2,user=guestread,pass=XXX,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

Any advice?

You mean you get that error when you do sudo mount /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms?

post output makes less guess work :slight_smile:

sudo cat /etc/fstab
sudo mount -a

here is how mine looks

cat /etc/fstab

/dev/mmcblk0p1          /boot                           vfat    defaults,noatime                                         0   0
/dev/mmcblk0p2          /                               ext4    defaults,noatime                                         0   0
//10.0.0.15/home/roms   /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms/       cifs    username=redacted,password=redacted,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0   0

Awesome @Toast ---- getting close now! Stumbling on how to automount upon reboot now…

sudo cat /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot    vfat     defaults,noatime    0   0
/dev/mmcblk0p2  /        ext4     defaults,noatime    0   0
//192.168.1.139/osmc/roms /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms/ cifs username=guestread,password=MyRealPassword,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0[/CODE]
[CODE]sudo mount -a[/CODE]
[CODE]reboot[/CODE]
Now lets check if the mount works...
[CODE]ls /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms[/CODE]
[CODE]roms[/CODE]
**Not Automatically Mounting.... how to automount?**

**Attempt to manually mount test:**
[CODE]sudo mount -a[/CODE]
[CODE]ls /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms[/CODE]
[CODE]amstradcpc  cavestory     gamegear  gw     mastersystem  msx1    nes   pcengine    scummvm  snes        wswan
atari2600   fba           gb        lutro  megadrive     msx2    ngp   pcenginecd  sega32x  supergrafx  wswanc
atari7800   fba_libretro  gba       lynx   moonlight     n64     ngpc  prboom      segacd   vectrex     zx81
atarist     fds           gbc       mame   msx           neogeo  o2em  psx         sg1000   virtualboy  zxspectrum

@fzinken — one of the optional settings being used was not liked in the prior attempt. @Toast fstab settings work

1 Like

enjoy your gaming

Thanks @Toast, @fzinken, & @mcobit

I thought that fstab mounts would automatically mount upon boot? No?
Any idea why I need to manually run upon a reboot
sudo mount -a

Looking through the fstab ArchWiki it looks like I may need to use the following command
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab#Automount_with_systemd
noauto,x-systemd.automount

Which puts it close to the original, non-working code

Working: //192.168.1.139/osmc/roms /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms/ cifs username=guestread,password=MyRealPassword,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
Broken:  //192.168.1.139/osmc/roms /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms/ cifs username=guestread,password=MyRealPassword,nobrl,uid=1000,sec=ntlmv2,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

Thoughts? Better methods to ensure automount upon reboot?

Thanks Crew!

What is the error you are getting (check sudo journalctl) when you use the automount line?
Remove nobrl and sec=ntlmv2 from your mount line

here is what i dont get if my line worked why change it ?

why over complicate things

@toast Your line works fantastic… but requires a manual mount after boot via the command: sudo mount -a

What I am now looking to solve is an automatic mount upon reboot. If that involves a tweak to the line in fstab, great. If that involves a script elsewhere, also OK.

While I have a blast playing out old games, I am mainly getting the emulators up for my children, who are just coming into early gaming age… and given that I work travel frequently… and that our power oft goes out… it is likely that OSMC will reboot while I am unreachable despite the smallish UPS I run it on.

@fzinken Using the ‘broken’ Automount line I receive an error upon boot… Password for root@//192.168.1.139/osmc/roms:… which makes no sense to me whatsoever. This error locks the system up before SSH is initialized, so by hooking a keyboard up and hitting enter with or without a password (both the SharePassword and osmc) results in: -bash: //192.168.1.139/osmc/roms: No such file or directory

Try
//192.168.1.139/osmc/roms /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms/ cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,username=guestread,password=MyRealPassword,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0