Long press support on the OSMC remote

The other three things you wanted I think will be in the final mapping. As for this one I understand why your wanting this so I searched high and low for a way to do this… and came up empty. You can map the action “AspectRatio” but that cycles through all of the options. Furthermore because of the way that control works it pretty much has to be put on a shortpress button as the delay with longpress makes that control incredibly frustrating to actually use that way.

I ran across someone who scripted it in python but that was a messy solution that was not seamless. I think there may be a way to program the function into a skin as a onclick action and then that would allow you to map a sendclick in a keymap but as I know nothing of skinning I could be completely wrong.

Yeah, that’s what I do at the moment (using a short-press on the “i” button). It’s annoying having to press it eight times. :slightly_smiling_face:

Would adding the ability to turn on the playerdebug overlay (shown below) during fullscreen video playback be something people would find useful?

On a general note to this topic I think we are getting very close to getting to getting this into testing. If there is an action for a specific screen (other than full screen video playback) that would be useful and sensible to have added as a default mapping then right now would be the best time to speak up. I only use certain aspects of Kodi, and have only recently started using this remote, so please don’t expect me to know what is lacking in its current state. For example, I don’t use the picture section but I noticed when editing the map that this remote currently lacks the ability to properly zoom so it make sense to add…

<slideshow>
		<keyboard>
			<up mod="longpress">ZoomIn</up>
			<down mod="longpress">ZoomOut</down>
			<return mod="longpress">ZoomNormal</return>
		</keyboard>
	</slideshow>

I think, with the help from our userbase here, we can make this remote have the best out of box Kodi experience seen to date.

1 Like

I’m not so sure. How many people understand those numbers?

I for one would love it, but I understand if your average user wouldn’t find them useful.
I’d be happy enough mapping this myself.
@darwindesign good work mate, looking forward to testing.

1 Like

It only takes two button-presses now, I’m not sure a single long-press is an improvement.

1 Like

As far as i’m aware without a custom map this is not available without a keyboard to press ctrl+shift+o. Are you thinking of playerprocessinfo which is something different (and will be longpress info button) and what the remote brings up now?

If (during playback) you press Menu, then OK, isn’t that the screen you get?

No, this may explain it a bit better…

I decided to go ahead and map it for the initial testing release. I’m sure the users will let me know if there is a more important function to be added in it’s location.

EDIT: I just figured out what you meant. It looks like that is something that Chillbo added into the OSMC skin (I use estuary normally) and you can access it that way. Personally I think the longpress is a bit better approach than bringing up a window to turn on/off an overlay requiring you to dismiss the window again. Plus this allows the overlay to be seen on skins other than OSMC.

Good. I was wondering if I was going mad. :laughing:

Fair enough! :slightly_smiling_face: I hadn’t actually realised the current key combination was unique to the OSMC skin.

@darwindesign Sorry if this has already been proposed, but what I would find very useful would be a long press to trigger recording when in the live TV epg…atm I need about 4 button presses.

2 Likes

This will be added to long-press OK for fullscreen live TV and TV guide. Thanks for the suggestion.

Would there be a change in battery usage in the newer OSMC remote controller?
Because I have found that I need to replace the battery almost every 3 months. (And I have 2 remotes, so every 6 weeks)

(And especially when it it is wearing out the button presses are not always working, pushing on the bottom battery lid when pressing helps to “squeeze” the last bits out of the battery :-D)

No. The long-press update only affects how osmc handles the signals it gets. It changes nothing with the remote control itself.

1 Like

Long-press support has now moved to the testing phase. Sam has made an annoucement regarding this here…

Please direct discussions and comments to this new thread. Thank you.