[TESTING] OSMC remote improvements

Just over a year ago, we started a discussion on improving the OSMC remote functionality and adding support for long press functionality.

Late last year, we updated our OSMC remote controller to further facilitate this functionality. We also added a low battery warning when the CR-2032 battery is near its end of life (only works on new models).

We’ve been working hard to bring this long press functionality to every generation of OSMC remote and not just the new iteration. We’d like to now get some feedback before making this part of a stable update shortly.

Please note that if you are on a nightly (Kodi v19) build, this functionality isn’t available yet and the following instructions won’t change the remote behaviour.

To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

For details about the changes, please see this post.

Many thanks to @darwindesign for testing and developing the long press keymap.

We are looking forward to your feedback.

If you were previously on the staging repository you may have to manually enable the custom keymap by going to settings>system>input>peripherals>osmc rf remote> and set the toggle to disabled as shown below…

…and I am well aware the double negative is confusing. This is how it is implemented in Kodi and I did not find an option to display it the other way around.

We could really use some feedback here whether good, bad, or indifferent on the long-press update before a wider release. If your on staging could you please post how your getting on with this.

I had no issues with it, although I only used it for a few days as I’m now using the 4.9 kernel.
If possible could this functionality be added to the next 4.9 test release ? I’d be happy to test it more then.

1 Like

It will be released publicly shortly

2 Likes

Hello! I’m new to OSMC, i just received my first Vero 4k+.
I’m just begon to setup my Vero 4k+ with the remote and some custom keymaps and found the topic about the longpress support. Then I saw that the update is availible for testing so here I’m.
I just installed the latest build as discribed and now I’m ready to give some feedback.

The new long press support is nice! But I noticed some wrong information in this manual. I mean this part:

You say

But is needs to be longpress without the -
If you directly copy the text into the command line, the quotes do not work on “linux”
The manual says but better say "

That being said, I’m very happy with this feature but one thing does not seem to work. I would like to custom keymap the suspend action to the longpress home button. If I program this, the longpress home button does not suspend osmc on the home screen, on every other screen it does work. How can I not suspend the system with a keymap on the home screen?

Thanks again for this feature!

1 Like

Hi there,

We have just added this long press support as part of our stable update last night.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you let us know what modification you have made?

Thanks

Sam

Darnit, then I think I crossed that stable update by 1 hair XD.

<keymap><global><keyboard><key id="61467" mod="longpress">suspend</key></keyboard></global></keymap>
In the "/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/osmc/gen.xml" file. The edit works, only not the home screen.

Edit: I just added this to the gen.xml and now the suspend works on the homescreen:
<home><keyboard><key id="61467" mod="longpress">suspend</key></keyboard></home>

Thanks for that. I guess I got carried away with the find/replace. I updated the guide.

I don’t quite understand what your saying here. Could you elaborate?

I see you have it working so i’m not sure how much I would need to go into this but changing things in global is a bit tricky as they can be overridden in many other windows and they can cause problems in certain windows. You might want to look at (but don’t modify) the custom map itself (/usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/osmc/osmc_remote.xml) and kodi’s key-map (/usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml) so you can see everywhere that button is currently being mapped.

You are welcome :wink:

I copy and paste directly from the manual in to putty (directly into VIM). Only VIM does not understand what the symbol means. I would suggest to change the quote symbol in the manual to the old school symbol: ".

Yes I got it working now, no action is needed anymore. Thanks for the locations of the original keymaps, they can sure come in handy.
Thanks for your quick help and support! Kudos!

Agreed.

I’ve fixed this in the guide as well. Thanks again.

I forgot about MS Word’s smart quotes and with my poor eyesight I wasn’t noticing the difference between the straight and curly quotes on my small screen :man_facepalming:

How is this done? Is there a LED on the remote, or is there a warning in the UI of Kodi? Somehow, it never tells you how this warning actually manifests itself.
Furthermore: “only works on new models” is also a bit vague. The vero box, the remote, what? Also, is there a log where you can see the model number and can determine from that whether or not it works?

I understand that if you devs work with this stuff all the time, these questions are probably stupid, but if you read an announcement, a lot of that “glue” (one could even use “clue” - pun intended) info is missing.

The Remotes that started shipping in January will send out a F2 key-press if a button is pushed and the battery is below a certain voltage. There is a notification programed in our key-maps that push out a message in the Kodi UI when it receives the F2 key-press. If you have the model with this feature it can be identified in the system journal as…

New USB device found, idVendor=2017, idProduct=1689

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the info. This is what I was looking for. :+1: