Low speed on X820

Hello. I have RPi 3B+, X820 and HDD Western Digital Blue. Installed SMB, Serviio (DLNA Server), Transmission. Sometime HDD’s speed low to 300-900 kbyte/s. Why? My TV’s DLNA lags, buffering. A transmission currently off. If DLNA offed and to use only smb in that moment - speed low. How to fix this? RPi uses LAN. HDD mounts in /etc/fstab. All ok except speed. Transmission’s speed is 1-2 mbyte/s. So slow… My router Zyxel Keenetic Viva has 4 mbyte, but it isnt intended for media server.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

How is the drive formatted?

Drive - NTFS.
Log https://paste.osmc.tv/mokudegeta

You will get better performance with ext4

Me need access from Windows.

The hard drive format has nothing to do with accessing it over a network. If it was an internal drive on a Windows machine then NTFS would be a logical choice. What you have is a internal drive on a Linux machine so ext4 would be the logical choice. The bit that allows your Windows computer to talk to your Pi is the network protocol (SMB) which is completely divorced from the formatting of the hard drive.

Understood. In this case, are you all sure that it is in this file system (NTFS)? I’ll try Ext4.

Check CPU usage. If it’s high, then this is likely the culprit

CPU usage is ~20%… Now I trying other HDD in ext4 through other USB-adapter. May be system really don’t love NTFS, like you said.

No. Ext4 too not works for this situation. I probed it, but HDD works slow. When HDD plugs through X820 board to PC - copying fast, etc (speed ~30 mbyte/s). May be a fault in this OS? Does somebody has ideas? Speed on raspberry ~ 1-2 mbyte/s. How fix it? Please…image image

Unlikely to be an OS issue.
Can you try another enclosure?

But it doesn’t make sense. (?)
Can you see S.M.A.R.T. of my HDD?

It’s ok?

You have three Pre-fail flags so I would say no. Since it works fine on a different connection I think there might be a fault in your hat or power supply that is causing errors on your drive.

The drive is mullered.

1 Like

Supply power is normal, I tried others. Lightning isn’t.
What I do with it? Is standby mode fault?
HDD normal works after power on about 5 minutes. Then it works slow.

I’m on holiday right now but couldn’t let this one go without comment. Here’s what the smartctl man page has to say:

The Attribute table printed out by smartctl also shows the "TYPE" of the Attribute. Attributes are one of two possible types: Pre-failure or Old  age.
Pre-failure  Attributes are ones which, if less than or equal to their threshold values, indicate pending disk failure.  Old age, or usage Attributes,
are ones which indicate end-of-product life from old-age or normal aging and wearout, if the Attribute value is less than or equal to  the  threshold.
**Please  note:**  the  fact  that  an  Attribute  is  of  type 'Pre-fail' does not mean that your disk is about to fail!  It only has this meaning if the
Attribute´s current Normalized value is less than or equal to the threshold value.

@sam_nazarko @Q-Tuzoff the smartctl report does not seems to indicate a failing disk. Pre-Fail is a type of statistic, not a status.

I now using X820 with HDD on the Zyxel Keenetic Viva. It works great. How use it on RPi+OSMC - it’s a secret for me… I read S.M.A.R.T with Victoria HDD on a PC and the drive status is “Good”, no errors. How to get rid of read / write drawdowns, playing 4K video freezes and lags like from the DLNA server built into OSMC and from third-party minidlna or serviio? I will have to use Keenetic for a media server. But it has a transmission-bt speed limit of 4 mbyte/s.

What exactly are you saying? Although it is a known fact that S.M.A.R.T is a poor predictor of impending drive failure, it is not known for lying about its condition. According to the image provided the drive is not always spinning up at the correct speed and it is detecting a large number of internal read errors.

The OP was maxing out at USB2 speed when connected to another system so I assume that he was likely not hitting a bunch of internal rewrites then as that normally will tank the performance on a average hard drive. This leads me to believe that there is a strong likelihood that it is getting starved for power when connected to this case which would likely cause all three fault conditions.

If there is a flaw in that logic i’m all ears (eyes).

The image doesn’t say anything like that.

The only thing that jumps out is the large load/unolad cycle count, but some disks do that lot. It’s not great, but it’s not an indicator of anything, unless you have other issues that it causes.

None of the other values that are actually predictive of failure (Raw Read Error Rate, Spin Up Time, Reallocated Sectors Count) are in the “bad” zone. There has been exactly 1 “CRC Error” (value #199), which is likely spurious since nothing like reallocated sectors has happened.