Major problems with the March update

Here’s an idea:

Can you run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vero364-kernel-osmc -y
reboot

Then post the output of uname -a and let us know if you see a picture. This should rule out whether the changes are Kodi specific or kernel specific. I can’t see how it could be an issue with the new kernel.

Sam

thanks for giving this further consideration. I ran the commands advised, the output of uname -a is the same as it was before I ran the commands.

> osmc@VeroLounge:~$ uname -a
> Linux VeroLounge 3.14.29-157-osmc #1 SMP Fri Mar 20 01:38:33 UTC 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I did a full power-down this morning and behaviour is as before. The Vero will typically boot to the Kodi GUI but sometimes I see nothing after the blue OSMC screen. From Kodi, playback starts may be ok for a couple of titles, but very soon, either a playback start causes a blank screen, or a playback stop causes a blank screen. The number of start/stops required to produce this seems a bit random, but it does not take many. On most occasions, putting the AVR in stand-by gives me a picture again as the passthrough to the TV is then working, but this does not always work, sometimes I have to cycle that a bit before I can get a picture again.

A minor update on this, I’ve now got two Vero’s connected to my Marantz AVR, one on the 3.14 kernel, the other 4.9, both otherwise on the March OSMC. Both are intermittently blank-screening on start/stop events. I’ve found that when the screen goes blank, switching the AVR to another input and then back recovers the display. I’m out of permutations to try in terms of posting logs, there are lots in this thread already, but if there is anything further I can do at my end, happy to to consider further diagnostic work (thus far the only guaranteed fix is dropping to the January OSMC).

We haven’t had any other reports about such a black screen issue and using a Denon AVR myself, I can say that both the 3.14 March update as well as the latest 4.9 builds don’t produce an issue like this. It sounds very much limited to your setup and possibly related to your AVR as it’s not showing when you’re connecting your Vero directly to the TV.

It is an odd one. I just switched HDMI socket on the AVR, and after a few successful stop/start events, another black screen event, display then recovered by switching inputs back and forth on the remote. There has to be something in the March release that has caused this as all versions up until January are fine, and dropping to January fixes it. I will run a 3.14 Vero on the Jan version for stability, and see how the 4.9 platform develops on my other Vero.

There are no changes to the HDMITX subsystem in the March update.

Still looking in to this.

I am facing this issue too. with Denon AVR
started after update.

More on this: Problem after latest update with Vero4K+ - #6 by grahamh

Hello,

Since the March update on my Vero4k I have no sound anymore at all. Also the PVR plugin (tvheadend) has stuttering all over the place (for HD in mpeg4 and SD in mpeg2). I do not know that happened. Before everything was smooth with VERSION_ID=“2020.01-1”.

Is there anyway to downgrade without loosing everything?
Thanks a lot.

Cheers, stay healthy

You can re-install OSMC from Download - OSMC, but it would be better for you start a separate post with logs so we can solve this for you.

Sam

I will try to do it. I will select the 2020.1 for reinstalling via SD Card.
Thanks for now

Btw: I tried to downgrade the kernel and got “failed to initialize EGL display (EGL error 12291)”. Because i previously had tried to switch to the new “videoimprovevero” channel ([TESTING] Linux 4.9 kernel and improved video stack for Vero 4K / 4K +). But it didn’t fix my problem…

If you install the 4.9 release, you need to reinstall OSMC to go back to the old kernel, as there are a number of changed dependencies.

Sam

1 Like

Thank you a lot for your fast feedback.
Just did a reinstall and now I am restoring my Kodi setting thanks to Backup plugin…
Luckily there is enough time now with Corona :wink:

I posted many logs to this thread regarding random blank screen events upon playback start or stop as a result of the March OSMC update. I have not been able to pin down a pattern for this. But when it happens, changing the input on my Marantz AVR to another source, and then switching back to the Vero, recovers the display. I thought I might post a log of the same behaviour under 4.9, as I’m keen to get this fixed in order for the Vero to have a sustainable future in my main system. I’ve summarised the exact sequence leading up to the blank screen event (in this case, I managed 7 successful start/stop events before the blank screen, normally the blank screen happens after fewer events than that).

The GUI is set to 60Hz.

Avengers bluray mkv start (60 to 24) - ok
Avengers stop (24 to 60) - ok
Live TV start (60 to 50) - ok
Live TV stop (50 to 60) - ok
DS9 DVD mkv start (60 to 59.94) - ok
DS9 stop - ok
Apollo 13 bluray mkv start (60 to 24) - ok
Apollo 13 stop (24 to 60) - blank screen, display recovered by source switching on the AVR

https://paste.osmc.tv/igiqucaxoc

I do not have this issue with any version of OSMC prior to March.

Hi,

The only thing that I can think of that could cause any issues like this would be the bootloader changes we introduced in March. But the bootloader won’t be downgraded on a re-install at the time of writing – so the issue should remain, even if downgrading, if this was the problem.

Your log shows that we switch back to 1080p60 correctly when you stop playing Apollo 13, so it seems like the AVR cannot lock on to the change for some reason.

We recently added some HDMI TMDS toggling changes to facilitate moving in and out of 3D modes. This is also included on the standard builds and I am wondering if this may be the cause of your problems.

I will produce a test build without these changes for you.

Sam

Please try this build:

wget "https://collab.osmc.tv/s/VyFLgAihekb5n0w/download" -O mediacenter.deb
sudo dpkg -i mediacenter.deb
sudo systemctl start mediacenter

Thanks

Sam

thanks for taking the time to look at this. I tried this build on a 4.9 V4K+ and it’s blank screening very frequently. Should I try on a 3.14 Vero?

You can use it on either kernel. 3D MVC will not work.

Just installed January OSMC on one of my Vero’s, no blank screen issues at all.

An odd thing: most of the movie thumbnails are not downloading from my mysql NAS database, but some are. All the TV thumbnails are fine. All the movies with missing posters have all the synopsis information, cast details etc. My Pi’s all connect to the same database and download all the movie posters instantly. This has never happened to me before with a reinstall of OSMC on a Vero. I tried deleting the userdata\thumbnails folder and starting again, rebooting the NAS, rebooting the Vero, but the poster download keeps stalling. Any ideas?

No, I would need logs for these issues.
It’s basically impossible for me to tell what is going on otherwise.

I also don’t know what you meant by blanking screen: during playback; on the menu; playing certain types of files?

the “blank screen” I refer to is the term I have been using in this thread in relation to the TV screen going completely black upon playback start or stop events since installing March OSMC on the Vero. These occur quite frequently with no apparent pattern. Sometimes the screen goes blank on a start event, sometimes on a stop event, sometimes it’s fine.

Here is a log of a Vero unable to recover the movie posters, some are present but most are missing.
https://paste.osmc.tv/legomacanu

I have put an OSMC Pi back into service for my main system on the March release and I get no blank screen issues at all.