Missing menu items after crash / shutdown

I’ve had this weird display problem, I think since the last underlying Kodi update.

When the Vero restarts after a crash or shutdown, menu items are missing.

You can see the “My OSMC” menu item has disappeared.

To get them back you have to reset the home page menus.

Some items in the Setting Menus are also missing. In this case, the “OSD” menu.

Menu items are also missing from the “Skin Settings” menus.

To get things back to normal I have to enter the “Home” menu, click on the missing “Customise Home Menu” and “Restore menu items”.

After this, the menus magically reappear until the next shutdown / crash.

Maybe related: the crash happens at random periods when the Vero is not being used. i’m not sure if the problems are related. As I said, the disappearing menus happen both after a crash or on shutdown.

Any thoughts regarding solving the issue?

Could you please post a screenshot of the issue?
Logs would also be helpful:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Logs:
http://paste.osmc.tv/wipuxekepa

Can you reproduce this issue with others skins?

@Chillbo to me this looks like an issue where Skin Shortcuts are getting corrupted and a rebuild is not being retriggered.

Chillbo: No, it didn’t happen with the Kodi default skin. Everything in place after a restart.

It can’t be a skinshortcuts issue as it only controls the way the home menu is built. @tony-r’s screenshots clearly show that also other parts of the skin are affected. It looks very much like the profiles bug we addressed a while back…
Are you using Kodi profiles and is this happening with a different profile than ‘master’, @tony-r? If not, I’m pretty much out of ideas as I’ve never seen this before unrelated to profiles.

Please have a look at this thread: Item Text Missing after November Update It looks like the same issue and suggests that it’s some settings corruption issue. The solution advised there did help the user to solve the problem :+1:t2:

@chillbo I tried moving directories as in the suggested post. Moving the.kody directory gave me a clean desktop but all my settings and additions were missing. Not unexpected. I reverted to the old one.

I have a lot of additions so will live with the problem. Now I know which missing menu item to click to restore, it takes about 30 seconds to fix.

My recently added TV videos icons are now missing, which is annoying, but I’m not prepared to blow my setup away and spend hours rebuilding it.

Thanks for your help anyway.