MKV file plays on one OSMC Vero 4k+ but not another

Hi all,

I have two OSMC Vero 4k+ devices. All of my DVDs, Blurays and UHD Blurays are ripped to a Synology NAS as MKV files.

One file (Mystic River MKV) will play on my secondary OSMC Vero device in our lounge, but not the main device in our cinema room.

When I hit the play icon, I get a spinning wheel icon but the file does not play. Oddly if I then attempt to play the file again, the player gives me the option of playing from where I left off (“Resume from mm:ss”) and the file then plays, so the issue seems to be with playing the file from the start.

I don’t have any issues playing the file from the start or from any point on our secondary device.

I assume this is version related but the problematic player has a more recent version of Kodi than the other device. Both devices are running the Aeon Nox Silvo skin.

Any suggestions ?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Hi,

I’ve just uploaded the logs : https://paste.osmc.tv/osihusejix

Thanks

Does disabling the embuary helper add-on make a difference?

Thanks for the suggestion, but disabling the Embuary helper add-on made no difference.

1 Like

Can you post a log from the working device?
Looks like you are trying to play a VC-1 file

We have a couple of fixes in Kodi v21 which we hope to release as a stable update shortly. If the other device is on an older version of OSMC, it may not be affected

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Hi Sam,

When I booted up the working device it said that an update was available, which I installed.

Now the previously working device has the same issue as our primary device. Both devices now will not play Mystic River.mkv

The post-update log file for the previously working device is : https://paste.osmc.tv/eradivawed

Cheers

Thanks. I will check this out shortly.

1 Like

Any updates on this please ?

Are any other files affected or just this one?

Just this file as far as I’m aware. I haven’t tested every MKV file but this is the first one that I’ve had a problem with in around 3 years of Vero/Synology use.

OK, I can check in more detail tomorrow otherwise a sample of the file would be good

Sam

1 Like

Not forgotten but haven’t had a chance to check this - been a bit rough.

Thanks for your patience. I’ve had a look at the log.

The video file is VC-1.

We recently made changes to improve VC-1 playback quality (particularly with interlaced content). It appears your file is interlaced. There might be a regression here which is why you’re now having problems playing this file.

But in your log, it shows that you stopped the playback:

2024-07-09 13:51:16.945 T:2904 debug : HandleKey: stop (0xf0bc) pressed, window 10138, action is Stop

It would be good if you could share the file via PM so we can look in to this

Many thanks

Sam

1 Like

Thanks Sam.

Yes, I had to press the stop button after waiting for the film to start playing. This is when the spinning wheel icon is displayed and the film never starts.

How can i share the file via PM ? Obviously it’s pretty big (around 31GB).

Thanks

You could cut a smaller file size that also demonstrates the problem (i.e. 200MB or so) if that helps. We don’t need the whole file.

1 Like

Thanks Sam - I’ll see what I can do.

Hi Sam,

I’ve just sent you a PM with a link to an MKV of the first minute of the movie file.

Let me know if you have any issues accessing it.

Regards

Many thanks

I’ve had a look at that file. It plays fine here on 21. I don’t have a device running 20.5 anymore. But 21 has some additional fixes that didn’t make it into the last 20.5 release. So I guess, your issue is fixed in 21.

1 Like