More Music Visualizations for OSMC on RasPi2?

I know but have big graduation party this Saturday want to hang big screen out side. My windows boxes have no hdmi so gotta get this last piece done

works just fine on helix 14.2 been running it since my initial post on this thread without issues just missing a randomize function on fx

Hi,

please help, shadertoys has stopped working with the latest update on my Raspi 2, all I see is a white screen, and no more effects selectable, whatā€™s going wrong?

After what updated?
shadertoy add-ons havenā€™t been updated since 20th June.

after july update (kodi 15) visualizations are working somehow but with no presets (if you get to presets window you get no presets.

At least for me it is always showning the preset i had before upgrading to july version of osmc.

If logs are needed please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Damn this is a skin problem. The problem exists in both osmc skin and amber (those are 2 of the 3 skins i have). If you use confluence the shadertoy preset list works normally.

I guess its time for me to report that to amber skin.

Thanks in advance and sorry for posting here.

Done for amber skin

Afer I updated Kodi, I now manually installed the latest version of shadertoys, and it seems to work, it didnā€™t with the older version from May :frowning:

When will it be possible to auto-update shadertoys with the rest of the system?

developer of amber skin fixed the visualization presets and they work normally. The changes are yet only on github but according to amber developer he will push them to the stable repo in the next days.

1 Like

this is very awesome, now the PI2 has the power t run this this is amazing.

Thanks for creating guys.

Just a quick note, on the PI2 some of the visualization have a defined ā€˜tearā€™ down the middle of the screen (V-Sync is enabled)

Any ideas on how to rectify?

Yes - Iā€™ve fixed it on master: [visualisation] Don't restrict the sample buffer to 256 samples by popcornmix Ā· Pull Request #7395 Ā· xbmc/xbmc Ā· GitHub
Will backport to Isengard.

1 Like

Thanks, also the shader seems to lag significantly?

Are there any additional parameters which need configuring? Running on a Pi2 so this should run like a dream and be very smooth.

Unfortunately the shadertoy shaders that support audio input are limited in number and Iā€™m not entirely happy with them.
There is a much better choice when you donā€™t need audio input, so the screensavers shaders are much better.

If you spot any nice shaders with audio input on shadertoy.com then post here, although many only work on desktop class graphics card.

In theory the Pi could handle much more impressive visualisations but not by using shadertoy.
shadertoy does all rendering inside the pixel shader (i.e. there are always two triangles in scene).
Really you need separate vertex and pixel shaders to make effective use of the hardware but that requires a lot more work.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, alas this is more than I already knew so canā€™t help here.

thanks for the info also.

Is there any way to have visualizations randimize automatically? If there is is there any way to choose which visualizations i want to have in the randomizer?

I am not asking to implement if they do not exist. Just by having them is quite something from nothing.

how about this one?
Demo - Volumetric

Volumetric gets about 1 fps on my laptop when running fullscreen (about 8 fps in the default small window).
Iā€™d guess my laptops graphics card is about ten times faster than a Pi/Pi2.

So that shader is way too complicated.

Rembember all the code gets executed for every pixel.
At 1080p there are 2 million pixels per frame.

Realistically you can do about 100 operations per pixel (an operation is an add or sub or multiply) on Pi/Pi2 at 1080p.
For complicated shaders we render a smaller buffer and scale it up, so you can go up to about 1000 operations per pixel with a lower resolution.

But complex instructions like divide or sin/cos take multiple operations (maybe 10 for divide and 20 for sin or cos).

Note: volumetric has a 128 iteration loop that contains several complex operations.

aie got it mate. the donkey cannot pull the weight. we need a track for it.

thanks again.

Iā€™ve also lost the presets somewhere between installing them in the June build where they were present & upgrading to the August build. I can see them in the Github repo - perhaps thereā€™s a way to manually copy them into Kodi?

Ok managed to install ShaderToy (screensaver & visualizations), fired it up, rifled through the included presets and it works ok. Now, I found shadertoy.com where there are some amazing presets and I tried copying the code of each preset to a text file, added the .glsl extension and uploaded those new preset files in the path .kodi/addons/visualization.shadertoy/resources next to the ones that came along with the original installation. Rebooted the raspberry and when I go to the select preset menu I canā€™t see them there (only the original ones are displayed). Am I missing something? Is this the way that presets are added or have I left something out?

1 Like

Yes, the C code contains a list of presets. Unfortunately Kodi doesnā€™t support dynamic changing of the preset list without changing the C code.

You can try modifying an existing preset (find one that uses the same texture IDā€™s) which should work.
Be aware that most shadertoy shaders are far too heavy for the Pi. (Most are too heavy for my laptop).

ah poo. There are some stunning ones in ShaderToy.com -though as you said I really doubt theyā€™d be properly displayed by the Pi. Something I noticed on some pre-installed ones is that they are rendered with an offset, leaving a black gap at the left and bottom sides. Is this a bug or can I somehow fix it in the .glsl preset file?

Not something Iā€™ve seen. What resolution are you running?