Movie scraper not geting most titles

This has nothing to do with Vero or OSMC. It’s a Kodi issue. Exactly what ‘left over settings file’ are you talking about?

I bet it’s a .nfo containing a link to the IMDB entry from earlier attempts / ages.

You gave the answer yourself, your additional file did, not the Vero or OSMC. Stick to Kodi naming conventions for the future:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/TV_shows

https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies

Good thought. .nfo files never crossed my mind…

There is a really good reason why this did not scrape. By putting that file in a folder called “The Incredibles” you are telling Kodi that everything in that folder is part of a movie called “Incredibles”. To scrape without issues you should have files that were either…

/Movies/The Incredibles (2004)/The Incredibles (2004).mkv
/Movies/The Incredibles 2 (2018)/The Incredibles 2 (2018).mkv

or

/Movies/The Incredibles (2004).mkv
/Movies/The Incredibles 2 (2018).mkv

Although you may be able to get away with a bit less formal file layout if your ‘set content’ settings have the ‘movies are in a seperate folder’ unchecked and ‘scan recursively’ checked, you are still likely to get more problems than if you use one of the above formats for all files (and I would recommend using folders).

Even better would be to use some kind of a auto renaming program such as FileBot. In the case of FileBot it will actually lookup the name from the same sources kodi scrapes from so you rarely have any issues.

That’s depending on setting. I have:

/media/Movies/j/James Bond/Dr. No/Dr. No.mkv
/media/Movies/j/James Bond/Live or let die/Live or let die.mkv

and have no problems. But I have the setting off (the default) for using the directory name for the movie.

With that particular layout I wouldn’t expect you to as you are not putting more than one movie in the same folder as the OP had. How is Kodi suppose to know if two files in the same folder are two different movies, or two parts of the same movie? I would argue that for anyone less familiar with the scraping process the examples I listed above are a path of least resistance.

I guess that was a bad example, because I also have:

/media/Movies/a/Airplane Collection/Airplane.mkv
/media/Movies/a/Airplane Collection/Airplane 2.mkv

And that all works for me. But if like you suspect that the OP had the use folder name set, you are right that it is a problem. Until he responds with that he ‘fixed’ we will never know.

Thanks for all the replies and help everyone.
It had nothing to do with any .nfo files as because there aren’t any.
It had nothing to do with the folder they were in because it worked fine before, it still worked in my master profile, and many other files, not just the Incredibles 2, were not scraping that were just in the root Movie folder.
It had nothing to do with my naming conventions because my naming conventions follow Kodi standards (again, it worked before, works on my other profile, and worked when I created a new profile).
I checked and made sure that ‘movies are in a seperate folder’ was unchecked and ‘scan recursively’ was checked before I even started the thread, so that wasn’t it either.
My “Master user” profile worked, my “Children” profile worked but then stopped working after I did a bunch of weird stuff to get my Enable Menu Customization working again which required me to back up and restore various things, the new profile I created called “Children 2” worked.
I deleted profiles “Children” and “Children 2”, then made a new profile “Children” to just start from scratch.
When I did that, it didn’t work because it somehow was using something residually leftover from my previous “Children” profile.
So I had a look at my Kodi files and I had all kinds of extra files in there that I don’t need anymore from my Enable Menu Customization issue.
See here: Enable Menu Customisation does nothing - #51 by Kontrarian
Instead of deleting files one by one and see what works and what doesn’t, I just removed everything that wasn’t needed for my Master user profile since I was getting impatient and then recreated my “Children” profile and did everything fresh.
It was annoying because I had to redo all my guisettings etc and I still have to fix other things here and there to get it back to my children’s likings, but everything scrapes now 100%, just like before.
I didn’t have to change MKV header information, I didn’t change file or folder names, nothing.
It just works now again and it had to do with some file that got removed from the profile directories.
Which exact file, I don’t know.
But it had nothing to do with any files or folders on any of my USB HDDs and everything to do with some file that was sitting on the Veros internel memory.
Other than putting some music in the Vero’s local storage Music folder and a wallpaper in the Pictures folder, I have never created or deleted any file on local storage until I was doing SSH commands remotely trying to fix my skin helper addon issue mentioned in the above link.

If any doubts my folder structure or naming convention here’s my recursive dir list: Directory: R:\MoviesMode LastWriteTime Length N - Pastebin.com

Everything scrapes just fine.

I guess instead of having a directory called Cars with all the Cars movies in it, it would make more sense to call that directory Cars Collection, but movie sets are independent of what you call that folder so it would just be a matter of personal preference because Kodi doesn’t care.
Now maybe if I titled the folder Cars (2006) that would be a problem but just plain old Cars is fine as is The Incredibles.

Thanks again for everyone’s input and help.
I really do appreciate it a lot.
We have a great comunity here.

Glad you could resolve. As a suggestion for tiny improvements:

Have a look at Kodi’s movie sets feature. This will save you from having to create folders for franchises like in your pastebin dump.

Use years in brackets for all movies, not only the ones who don’t scrape and/or who don’t have a namesake in a different year.

Name folder and file identically.

Use single folders for all movies, not only those who have franchises.

Thanks for the pointers.
I use movie sets in Kodi already.
I create the separate folders for my own file organization, not for Kodi.
The Incredibles is a good example actually because the first one is called “The Incredibles” and the second one is called “Incredibles 2”, so if they are just in my root Movie folder then they are separated when viewing the files in Windows explorer.
The same thing happens with “Wreck it Ralph” and “Ralph Broke the Internet” or all the various Winnie the Pooh movies my children have.
So when I go into their HDD via Samba I can easily see which Winnie the Pooh movies they have and which they don’t; and what source quality they have ([DVDRip], [BDRip], [BDRemu]x, [UHDRip], or [UHDRemux]).
Trust me, there’s a reason for all of it and it work s great for me when managing their stuff in my work flow.
All Kodi needs is (Year), anything else after that in “[ and ]” is for me, and of course .atmos or .dts at the end is required to have those show up in the skin instead of it just saying TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.
Having each movie in it’s own folders seems unnecessarily redundant to me, but that’s obviously just a matter of opinion.
It doesn’t help at all with the scraping of the files.
It would clean up the look a little bit though when viewing the files in explorer since I do have some -poster.jpg and .mkv.skv files.
But I have other reasons that are unique to my work flow for not doing that.
Again, the way I have it, everything scrapes perfectly fine, it was just some issue with that profile ever since it was restored from the skin helper issue.

I havent been able to scrape the last six movies I have added to the Vero.
Anyone else having issues scraping from TMDB lately or is it just me.
I could only get them to go through if I created a parsing nfo file.

According to the Kodi Slack, TMDB has some serious issues presently. Not sure when they’ll be resolved.

See TheMovieDB - Movie scraper

Thanks for the fast response Sam, glad to her I’m not crazy.
I was able to get a couple ti scrape by finding them through Videos>Files>etc and choosing “Scan to library”, the others I just made parsing nfo files and once they were scraped I deleted the nfos.
Atleast parsing nfo files work as a temporary fix until they get things sorted out.

1 Like