Multichannel audio incorrectly mapped

Need to offer at least 2.0 and 7.1 pcm container support for HDMI.

This way you can perform upmixing on stereo sources like TV. Or even stereo music.

2.0 and 7.1 output is already supported by HDMI (as PCM) with the proposed fix.

Sam

Did I say it shouldn’t be there? :wink: My ideas are just about layout/menu design (profiles that can be customized). But that’s more for the time when we have fixed the issues.

1 Like

Thanks guys. It wasn’t clear from above with the proposal.

While I can live with 5.1 in a 7.1 container (well once the static noise issue is fixed) I cannot live with 2.0 in a 7.1 container.

Thanks for working on this.

2.0 shouldn’t be sent as 7.1 at all.

And at least for me, it has never been :wink:

Yeah my bad. The problem was 5.1 was playing back stereo audio in a 7.1 container. The original issue that brought me here to begin with that the workaround here addressed.

1 Like

So, I did the promised testing… Did connect my speakers for a proper 7.1 system again.

The first run with a 5.1 test file from @swrobel - surroundTestDTS.dts.wav (within the test run I changed the active amps of the AVR back and forth between 5 and 7 amps after three test playbacks):

AVR set to 5.1 speaker layout (only 5 amps active):

1: all channels clear, no strange noises 
2: all channels clear, no strange noises
3: all channels clear, no strange noises

AVR set to 7.1 speaker layout (all 7 amps active):

4: slight crackling noise from 5.1 surround channels
5: a lot of crackling noise from 5.1 surround channels
6: distortion from 5.1 surround channels

7: all channels clear, no strange noises 
8: all channels clear, no strange noises
9: all channels clear, no strange noises

10: slight crackling noise from 5.1 surround channels
11: slight crackling noise from 5.1 surround channels
12: slight crackling noise from 5.1 surround channels

Log: https://paste.osmc.tv/vajeladica

The second run with a 7.1 test file from AAC Multichannel Playback Test - 7.1auditionOutLeader v2.wav (within the test run I changed the active amps of the AVR back and forth between 5 and 7 amps after three test playbacks):

1: all channels clear, no strange noises (7.1 back channels played via 5.1 surround channels)
2: all channels clear, no strange noises (7.1 back channels played via 5.1 surround channels)
3: all channels clear, no strange noises (7.1 back channels played via 5.1 surround channels)

4: all channels clear, no strange noises 
5: all channels clear, no strange noises 
6: all channels clear, no strange noises 

7: all channels clear, no strange noises (7.1 back channels played via 5.1 surround channels)
8: all channels clear, no strange noises (7.1 back channels played via 5.1 surround channels)
9: all channels clear, no strange noises (7.1 back channels played via 5.1 surround channels)

10: white noise from 7.1 back surround channels (heavy distortions there)
11: all channels clear, no strange noises 
12: all channels clear, no strange noises 

Log: https://paste.osmc.tv/qarinelihi

Regarding this: I don’t have a sub speaker, but the LFE channel is blacked back via my large front speakers and when the test files are playing the LFE channel, there’s bass audio audible from my front speakers - the LFE channel is working and audible here.

I suspected that my LFE was working but my crossover settings just made it inaudible. My AVR definitely indicated it was working but pleased to hear you confirm it. Thanks

Just a quick update. Everything I have played in the past week has sounded perfect. Nice job on the fix.
Baby Driver particularly showed off the surround mix and used the back speakers really effectively.

Watching this with PCM surround audio?

5.1 or 7.1 ?

5.1 AAC (so output as PCM).

And was that displayed as 7.1 on your avr?

Yes

So, all as expected…

Yes - so far the hotfix has worked for me.

With the OSMC update coming up soon, I just want to verify if, after the update, do I need to repeat the steps outlined via the new AML-M8AUDIO.conf file post?

Or will the update contain the changes to that file?

Also, I saw to posts that mention a “Baby Driver”, what is that?

Baby Driver is a film ( I was using it for testing)

That would interest me, too. But nothing looked like there has been work done on this issue due to the focus on Stretch…

Sry, but I had to laughe a lot :joy::joy::joy: Didn’t think about the title that way before…

1 Like