My image viewer is in low resolution

You need to compile osmc yourself with those patches applied.

How am I supposed to do that?
Iā€™m a user, I install stuff on my computer and on the Vero4K
I can edit a text file to change a configuration. But thatā€™s barely it.

Please?

Vincent

It is best left for someone else to test then. Anything produced would be experimental.

Sam

Sure.

Do you have an idea when that improvement (correction?) will be available for all of us?

Vincent

It would need to be tested first. I am not sure if itā€™s viable because itā€™s not easy to make it an option

Sam

Iā€™m astonished (I already mentionned it) that not that many people complained about that missing element.
Iā€™m checking my pictures on a 4k device and I was really surprised that the Vero4K was displaying them in 1080p

I understand nothing will be made quickly if only a few users wants it, But I would really appreciate if I could have such a version (not optional)

Thanks

Vincent

Im surprised that you get such bad results having a 4k photo downscaled to 1080p. This should only be a big issue if you examine photos from a very close range or use the raw-format.
Nevertheless I agree that this should be implemented in Kodi, but I dont see OSMC in responsibility in the first place.

Anyways, you could test some Kodi picture addons like the Photo App. In my understanding apps dont necessarily rely on the Kodi-UI-resolution and might herefore have the option to view photos in 4k.

Havenā€™t mentioned this here before because I havenā€™t got a 4k TV yet. But as soon as I have, Iā€™d like this, too!

This argument has been made on the forum here before, but I would see it the other way round: Why would one want a device that is 4k capable to downscale photos that have a way higher resolution than 4k in the first place?
Itā€™s not so much about whether the result is ā€œnot that badā€ downscaled, but it just doesnā€™t make sense - from the resolution standpoint, I donā€™t want to say that implementation is not a big dealā€¦ :wink:

What is probably the underlying, basic problem about this: photo viewing hasnā€™t been a priority for Kodi and devices using it. Thereā€™s no proper library functionality, proper viewing implementation with highest possible resolution and not to mention proper file format support (most ARM based phones are capable of opening more formats properly than most Kodi devices - e.g. Vero 4k crashes when opening tif format panorama photos all the time) seems to have been a low priority as well. Sad, but most people just watch videos and play music with Kodi devices.

Yes, I would be really interested in trying something like that.
What is the exact name of the addon?

Vincent

@Chillbo

Since i will buy a 4k TV in a couple of months this will be a feature I really would like to have too. But its not like that someone cutted an existent feature, but it is simply not yet developed/implemented in Kodi.
And I agree furthermore: I personally really dislike the Kodi musicplayer and music library navigation compared to a PC. Kodi mostly is focussed on a flawless movie experience and is doing nearly perfect in that discipline. Pictures and music seem only like a small bonus. But I have high hopes this will change in future.

@devinv

There is one addon called ā€œPhoto-Appā€. But you really have to search for the others yourself and try them out.

Music is fine for meā€¦ The library works flawless with my music files and itā€™s like any other library. Controlling that with a remote app on my mobile devices is quite uncomplicated.
But the photo section is basically missing. Hoping for that to come some day!

I tried some addons some time ago, but wasnā€™t pleased with them. Either too complicated (and not intuitive) or just not functional in a way Iā€™d like it to beā€¦ Thereā€™s an addon out there to implement a photo library, but it didnā€™t solve the problem of format compatability and lack of speed for me (MyPicsDB: Pictures DB with EXIF, IPTC & XMP tags).

But let us know, if you can solve the problem in some way! :slightly_smiling_face:

Isnā€™t that addon only for watching photos shared by a Mac OS photo library?

Well the sound output quality is absolutely fine. The player itself works but isnt a beauty and I really miss a nice visualization.
What I really hate is the fact, that I always land in the [artist] [album] etc. section and cant choose a prefered view mode. I do tag all my mp3s quite accurately but there are still sometimes tags missing or wrong. I havent found a way to view the files like i organized them on my drive. Poweramp e.g. has that feature to list all files according to the filestructure.

And yes youre right, Photo-App is Mac related, it just was the first thing i found on google. It was merely a initiative to consider an app solving the 4k-photo-issue. Maybe other users have more experience here.

Music ā†’ Files does that

Means that i have to go to the
Music Tab->Files->External Drive->Music->Lossy->Albums->[Aritst XYZ] everytime I want to start a song.

Can we stay on the photo resolution subject?! :wink:

You can put that path in a favourit and then add a main menu entry for that favourit so itā€™s only one click away.
If you need more help open a new thread before @devinv get a heart attack

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry if I sounded harsh, but as Sam mentioned the changes needed to display pictures @ 4k require modifying the system as well as kodi and since there has not been a high demand for such feature itā€™s reasonable to ask users to get their hands dirty if they want to test that first.

Itā€™s the same thing I did and Iā€™m still doing to make moonlight work on the Vero 4k, Sam provided me with instructions and hints on how to compile it and I did.

Anyway, as stated in other similar threads, I have viewed 4k pictures on my tv before, but I was and am satisfied with the downscaling (I used the google drive addon to view google photos pictures stored on it).

Iā€™m happy to make changes, but I need testing and Iā€™m scarce of time right now.

Sam

Yes, thank you to do it as soon as you can
Watching my picture in 4k with my Vero4k is something Iā€™m also waiting for

H

1 Like

Can we hope for a patch anytime soon?