My reflections about the differences between Vero 4K and NUC Braswell running LibreELEC

I understand that everything might confuse you all that are trying to help me. With this post I hope I can straightening things up.

I use an unRAID server, with both SMB and NFS shares on.
My 3 NFS shares are /mnt/user/media, /mnt/user/backup and /mnt/user/temp.

First when I got the Vero, I added two Kodi shares, named “series” and “movies”. The path set in Kodi was then SMB://media/videos/series and SMB://media/videos/movies

In my advancedsettings.xml I added that I wanted to use mySQL, and later when I set content to the Kodi shares series and movies, and scanned the library, stuff went in to the mySQL database. Everything worked as it should.

I then wrote a post here, telling that I had some small problems with the network speed. I was told that SMB wasn’t as fast as NFS, and even better, mounting the NFS share with fstab was even better.

First, I had no problem changing my Kodi shares “series” and “movies” from SMB to NFS. Kodi finds the series and movies over NFS with no problem.

When I asked about how I should do with my library now, that was “started” and scanned followed the Kodi guidelines for mySQL, using SMB with the IP, and it would then not access the video files over the faster NFS, I was told to do a path substitution.

I think I managed to do a correct substitution from SMB://192.168.0.103/media/ to NFS://192.168.0.103/mnt/user/media . Or at least, that the change I did in advancedsettings.xml, and on boot, I can still access the library over mySQL. I just don’t know how I can check that it’s really over NFS and not SMB.

Later, I read that even faster then just using the Kodi NFS, was to use fstab to make the Vero 4K mount the NFS to a local folder, and then again in Kodi change my Kodi shares, from NFS to a local path I guess. And then I will have to make my path substitution from SMB to /mnt/media instead of SMB to NFS.

The problem I got now is that I don’t manage to do the fstab mount. Since I can access the NFS over Kodi, my guess was that there was no problem for the Vero 4K accessing the unRAID servers NFS share. But maybe I need to do something else?

When I type showmount -e 192.168.0.103 this is what I get:

osmc@osmc:~$ showmount -e 192.168.0.103
Export list for 192.168.0.103:
/mnt/user/temp *
/mnt/user/media *
/mnt/user/backup *

I hope this post will help you to understand me better, and I hope that you can help me fix this problem.

Thanks.

/Söder

When you type at the command line

cd /mnt/media
ls

Can you get to the folder and Does a list of your videos show up like this?

No, nothing in /mnt/. Not even the a media folder…

/Söder

Hi,

I think you need to create the folder:

sudo mkdir /mnt/media

then

sudo mount /mnt/media

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Why not start by sharing your fstab from the vero and the exports from the file server?

Also, why are 3 shares necessary? Why not one NFS share of /mnt/user?

In my fstab, the only line I get it this one I added.

192.168.0.103:/mnt/user/media /mnt/media nfs noauto,x-system.automount 0 0

And my export from the file server, I guess you mean this.
osmc@osmc:/mnt/media$ showmount -e 192.168.0.103
Export list for 192.168.0.103:
/mnt/user/temp *
/mnt/user/media *
/mnt/user/backup *

I’ve created the folder and will try again…

EDIT: When I’ve created the folder, and followed the guide again, there was nothing in the /mnt/media, but when I did sudo mount /mnt/media it worked.

Will it then be there after a reboot to?

/Söder

The actual exports file will be clearer.

this

192.168.0.103:/mnt/user/media /mnt/media nfs noauto,x-system.automount 0 0

should be

192.168.0.103:/mnt/user/media /mnt/media nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

maybe thats it…

1 Like

A typo!!! OMG!!!

Will try it all again.

About having three shares…that’s how unRAID works… and with NFS it looks like I can’t access /mnt/user over network, only the direct path.

EDIT: I did a reboot, and it works. Now I will look in to the path substitution.

/Söder

1 Like

I have not changed my Kodi shares from a NFS share to a local share with /mnt/media/videos/movies and /mnt/media/videos/series

In advancedsettings.xml I use

SMB://192.168.0.103/media/
/mnt/media/

Will that make my mysql use the “local NFS share” instead, even though the mysql database is setup during a SMB share in Kodi when the first scan was done?

/Söder

No, path substitution will require complete paths

1 Like

OK. One strange thing happened. I had the path substitute set to not complete paths, and not one for series and one for movies.

After reboot, the movies and show in the library was still there, but when I go to videos in Kodi, there was only the shares, and not the shortcut to the library TV SHOWS and MOVIES like it use to.

/Söder

If you try to play one of the videos does it play?

Yes…and I hope it’s substituted to the local path now…

But, the MOVIES and TVSHOWS are gone since my boot with not complete path…

/Söde

Logs will reveal all.

https://paste.osmc.tv/lamivebaru

Maybe these logs can tell me why there’s no “flags” in my skin at top on the main menu, like on the other players I got in the same default stock Kodi skin.

/Söder

Why is path substitution really necessary here? Why can’t you just rescan your media to the db?

The first thing was that I maybe didn’t had to redo the library. I don’t really know if I need to remove the old first, or if it’s just to rescan it.

The second thing about the path substitution was that I use mySQL, and I guess the first unit that scans the library, decides what the path in the library looks like.

I guess that’s why the Kodi guide says to change local paths to a smb share.

If I now scan the library with local path, other units using Kodi and mySQL db will need to either support NFS or do a path substitute? In my case, the other unit is a Android phone, and a Mac, and I think I have larger problems with NFS there then SMB?

/Söder

I rescanned my library using the Vero local mounts and used the path substitution for my windows machine. Windows machine uses Kodi NFS. I think it makes more sense to connect one way either nfs or smb

What do you mean by that last part? “I think it makes more sense to connect one way either nfs or smb”?

If I rescan with local mounts, I have to make path subs for all other. If I keep the scan made on SMB, I can keep the others, and make change for Vero 4K where I’m will watch 4K movies and need great network speed.

https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_Kodi#Make_files_accessible_over_the_network

/Söder