Network HDD spin up time

My media is shared from one Pi 4 to 3 clients via NFS. Occasionally on a client I am getting a “this file is missing, would you like to remove it from the library” message however if I select the file again a few seconds later it plays fine.

This obviously seems like a network time out issue but I’m not seeing an option to change how long the system should wait before deeming a file missing.

Can anyone confirm if such a setting is available please?

How did you install the NFS server? We don’t provide one out of the box or via the App Store.

It’s set up via fstab, I can post the settings in that and exports if required. I just followed a guide initially and then had a bit of assistance on here to get it working but I’m not well versed enough myself to know if anything in there controls time out.

This is the line added to my exports file if it helps…

/mnt/HDD 192.168.0.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

and fstab…

UUID=“REDACTED” /mnt/HDD ntfs defaults 0 0

Hi,

What are the fstab entries on the clients?

Also if it is a network timing out issue, I would consider looking at autofs; which tends to be a bit more forgiveable:

Thanks Tom.

Hi, you could also try this setting in advancedsettings.xml: Since Matrix update playing from network gets error - #8 by JimKnopf

Perhaps, this has the desired effect.

Thanks for the response Tom, I’m going to recheck whether or not NFS was set up via fstab or autofs.

The /etc/fstab file from the client currently only has the following line…

/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults,noatime,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

that looks to me like a local drive however.

Thanks Jim, I’ve added the lines into my xml, will see how it goes.

Using the new for v19 nfstimeout option set to 60 has fixed this issue for me. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 Like

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv buster-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating.

I’d also recommend you deactivate the staging repository. You can do so with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.