Network Shares not availabe after October Update

Hello All,

After the october update my network share does not browse.
I keep getting the “operation not permitted” error.
On my other, not updates OSMC devices, the same network share works just fine.

Anyone an idea how to fix this problem?

Please post some logs and advise what device you are connecting to.

Sam

What was your previous version/update?

I’ve never accessed any logs before, so I have to look into that how to access these on a Vero 4K+.
Connecting to a desktop running windows 10.

Believe this was the OSMC june version…

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Thanks for your help, below the log file link

https://paste.osmc.tv/ olayuvupax

What is your Samba Server?

What kind of answer are you looking for?
I do not use SMBv1, I use a device name to connect to the desktop not an IP address. And I use shared folders in Windows 10…

Does that help?

Well that was the answer I was looking for.

1. You can try to enable component specific logging for SMBlibrary and see if the logfile indicate the problem
  2. Also can try on command line to install smbclient sudo apt-get install smbclient and then run smbclient -m SMB3 -L willms2
  3. You could try to replace the name with the IP address to see if that works.

I’ve enabled the specific logging, link is:

https://paste.osmc.tv/qocuhakino

Can you please check this logfile for me?

Oct 19 18:03:14 vero mediacenter[361]: SPNEGO login failed: The attempted logon is invalid. This is either due to a bad username or authentication information.
Oct 19 18:03:14 vero mediacenter[361]: SPNEGO login failed: {Access Denied} A process has requested access to an object but has not been granted those access rights.

Looks like an authentication problem. Double check your user/password.

Using smbclient may make it easier to test.

I don’t use a username or password. User/password are both empty…

I think this is the problem. You could make a guest account.

From the logs, it appears that you are using a user/password:

Oct 19 18:03:14 vero mediacenter[361]: smbc_stat(smb://renger:PASSWORD@willms2/users/renger/Videos/folder.jpg)

But as @sam_nazarko pointed out, I believe that user/password is required for SMB3.

So I’ve made a account and password. Still didn’t work.
But after I changed the server name from device name to IP address it worked!

Still strange that my other devices (not updated yet) can access the share without any passwords or server name changes. So it might have something to do with the october update…?

Having said that, happy with the result!!

Thanks everybody for your help.

Interesting that IP works and name doesn’t. Does the server use DHCP, or have a static IP?

A couple of unrelated notes about your system that I noticed in the logs:

1. You have some banned repositories/addons. I’d suggest getting rid of those as they are know to cause problems.
  2. You should check your video settings, you have:
    Adjust refresh rate: off
    Sync Playback to display: on

they should be:
Adjust refresh rate: On start/stop
Sync playback: off

That may improve video playback, and will also allow you to use passthrough for audio.

Indeed interesting, server uses DHCP.
Maybe a clean install would be nice, thanks for the feedback…!