New install - disk manager (udisks, udisks-glue) fails to start

I just did a new install of OSMC (9-2) and on load the two services listed in the topic fail.

I tried the solution listed here:

But since that thread, udisks and udisks-glue are apparently no longer used, instead they have been replaced with armv7 osmc versions

osmc@osmc:/var/cache/apt/archives$ dpkg -l | grep udisks
ii  armv7-diskmount-osmc                 1.5.5                              armhf        Disk automounting for OSMC using udisks with standby support
ii  armv7-udisks-glue-osmc               1.3.5-7                            armhf        udisks for OSMC
ii  armv7-udisks-osmc                    1.0.5-9                            armhf        udisks for OSMC

trying to install udisks attempts to remove rbp2-device-osmc (1.4.4) which is not allowed.

osmc@osmc:/var/cache/apt/archives$ sudo systemctl status udisks.service
● udisks.service - Disk Manager (legacy version)
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/udisks.service; static)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2017-10-22 17:35:07 PDT; 23s ago
     Docs: man:udisks(7)
  Process: 1194 ExecStart=/usr/lib/udisks/udisks-daemon --no-debug (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 1194 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 22 17:35:07 osmc systemd[1]: udisks.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 22 17:35:07 osmc systemd[1]: Failed to start Disk Manager (legacy version).
Oct 22 17:35:07 osmc systemd[1]: Unit udisks.service entered failed state.
osmc@osmc:/var/cache/apt/archives$ sudo systemctl status udisks-glue.service
● udisks-glue.service - mount disks automatically with standby
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/udisks-glue.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2017-10-22 17:24:07 PDT; 13min ago
  Process: 1086 ExecStart=/usr/bin/udisks-glue --foreground (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 1080 ExecStartPre=/bin/bash -c sudo rmdir /media/*/ 2>/dev/null; time udevadm settle; exit 0 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 1086 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 22 17:23:42 osmc sudo[1081]: osmc : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/rmdir /media/*/
Oct 22 17:23:42 osmc sudo[1081]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Oct 22 17:23:42 osmc sudo[1081]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Oct 22 17:23:42 osmc bash[1080]: real        0m0.021s
Oct 22 17:23:42 osmc bash[1080]: user        0m0.000s
Oct 22 17:23:42 osmc bash[1080]: sys        0m0.010s
Oct 22 17:23:42 osmc systemd[1]: Started mount disks automatically with standby.
Oct 22 17:24:07 osmc udisks-glue[1086]: Unable to enumerate the devices: Activation of org.freedesktop.UDisks timed out
Oct 22 17:24:07 osmc systemd[1]: udisks-glue.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 22 17:24:07 osmc systemd[1]: Unit udisks-glue.service entered failed state.

Hi

I noticed this when testing OSMC on a fresh Stretch install today, but chalked it up to a stretch issue.
Can you let me know if the previous image works as expected?

A full set of logs will also be quite helpful

Cheers

Sam

We’ve found the cause of this problem and it will be fixed in the update at the end of the month - in the meantime the following command run via ssh should fix it on your installation:

sudo mv /usr/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.UDisks.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.UDisks.conf

(all one line)

Then reboot.

Or (to test the update):

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

This fixed the issue. Thanks! I will keep an eye for the next update as well.

1 Like