New user, observations and one more question

I have had mine since Friday, and think its a really great bit of kit. Below are initial immpressions and one more request for a pointer to the right help file

The support and help on this forum has been MAGNIFICENT, many thanks to all who have helped.

Few things that could be better
1 Extra meter on power lead, I know I can use an extension lead, but there is so much cable benind my system I’d rather not.

2 Some way to put it to sleep, without that Blo***dy red light on

3 An option for ‘native’ resolution that just sends the video diretly to the TV for it to do all upscaling. I am using the white list at present.

4 A note in the box in big letters that says the remote wil not work with out the (tiny) USB dongle plugged in, and a picture of the USB dongle, and the IR eye. I have had so much AV kit over the years, and so my IR remotes, I missed the dongle till helped here.

One more question, I am using servioo to access my files from the PC (as I have used it for ages with the TV etc.) All works perfectly well. I am aware that this is not ideal. Is there a guide as to which of the many options I should use, and how to use it ?

The PC is windows 7, with the drives shared using simple sharing. The PC and the Vero both attach via ethernet cables to the BB router. The PC has a VPN that caused a bit of a problem with servioo till I added it o the VPN list.

Thanks again for the great help.

1 Like

HI,

2 - Leave it on, doesn’t draw that much power or black electrical tape over the red light.

Thanks Tom.

In what way does the whitelist fall short of meeting that requirement?

Quite possibly because I am not using it correctly ?

I have a 4K TV and want it to do all the upscaling. I Play 720, 1080 and 4K files. I have the output resolution set to 1080. When I Play a file, I use the info button to finds its actual resolution, then the drop down to change to this resolution on the fly.

I had imagined that a ‘native’ setting would do this for me, but perhaps I have it wrong ?

Did you enable
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

You still would need to whitelist the resolutions you want to use but with this setting resolution switching will be automatic

Sorted thanks again for help

Hopefully you’re all sorted re: the whitelist settings now, but you might want to have a glance at the “how to” I wrote about the whitelist function - in particular, at the recommended other settings to use with it.

1 - Tacking on an extra three feet to a 5v 2A power lead is not a trivial change. Although one may think that you can just add extra wire the reality is that you would have to increase the gauge of the wire to prevent a voltage drop and you have a knock-on effect with cost and potentially packaging. That being said, there is nothing particularly special about the PSU and you could replace it with another unit with similar specs and a longer lead from another vender.

I don’t think there should be anything particular server side that would need to be tweak for DLNA and Kodi, but IMO your really not going to get the best Kodi experience using that either. I would recommend using file shares on Windows and use that to setup a normal Kodi Library.

Thanks using the windows file shares is what l am after. I am just a bit lost as to how to go about it, is there a guide ?

The Kodi wiki is where you want to look for all the relevant information. A few notable links were posted on another thread earlier today.

Everything involved is just normal Kodi and Windows shares so any guide you find on the interwebs should be valid.

You may possibly find that accessing an SMB (i.e. Windows) folder at Kodi level doesn’t give you quite enough speed for 4K blu ray rips. Equally, you may well find that it does! But if you do need a little more speed, you can mount the share at OS level and then have Kodi access it as if it were a local folder.

If you want to Investigate that, see here: Mounting network shares with autofs (alternative to fstab)

Thanks I have managed to get the access with SMB1 then set it back to SMB3, will see how it goes.