New Vero V - some issues

I have just purchased and installed a Vero V. This replaces a RPi 3B+ (with HW decode licences), which appears to have gotten a bit unstable.

The remote provided with the unit seems unreliable. Sometimes I need to press a button multiple times to get a response. Using the FLiRC (USB) from the RPi, I am able to use my previous remote to have each button press do something (no ‘ignored’ button presses).

I can watch and record TV using the TVheadend PVR client. TVH is running on a Synology NAS. IPTV is delivered by a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Quattro. All devices on the local network are 1Gb/s hard-wired (no wi-fi). HDHRQ is 100 Mb/s. TV is Panasonic TH-P65VT60 plasma. Using a Dell S2419HM monitor instead makes no difference. I use emby for kodi with the embuary skin.

When watching TV the image will seem to pause briefly before skipping forwards. It happens several times per minute. The audio is not interrupted. I’ve fiddled with all sorts of settings to no avail. Playing back a recorded segment seems OK. Playing back video files (ripped from DVD/blu-ray) seems OK. When replacing the VeroV with RPi the issue does not arise.

TV is unwatchable if I turn off HW decoding.

When starting to play a TV channel there is a significant delay of 5 s to 10 s before the stream is played. For Rpi the stream is played within 1 s to 2 s. These delays are the same when switching streams (changing channels).

I have looked through the forum but anyone with somewhat similar problems seem not to have a solution. At this stage I have not generated log files.

I reiterate: these problems do not arise for the ageing RPi.

Logs would certainly be useful. Could you post a log from the V and one from the Pi doing the same thing?

As for the remote, a replacement dongle is available. I don’t know which dongle is shipping now. See Vero V missing keypresses & pairing other osmc remote - #215 by sam_nazarko

We ship devices with the new remote receiver for quite a while now.

Are recordings affected or just Live TV?

I have multiple SiliconDust Quatro tuners and Vero Vs. Is the issue related to IPTV recordings or watching the streams live ? Also for the oens with issues are they 1080i or 720P ? suspect it might be 1080i and these are MPEG2 streams, I’ll do some of my own testing and report back. I use SiliconDust’s DVR software but that really shouldn’t matter. I also stream mine via Mezzmo over HTTP vs. SMB which could be a big difference. We’ll see.

Jeff

I had a few minutes to do some quick testing. I played a few 1080i and 720P MPEG2 recordings and all were fine. No issues with skipping, FF, RW etc. Very responsive. Make sure you have accelerate MPEG2 set to always. Again, I am streaming via HTTP so this might be one of the SMB issues with settings and such, which were recently changed in Kodi. I’ll leave that to the SMB experts here.

I too use the Flirc devices on all of my endpoints whether Intel, Raspberry Pi or Vero devices. I find it easier to keep the remotes in sync and the wife is happy that they all operate the same. When you have as many endpoints hanging off of a sharing solution as I do, pleasing the big boss and the grandchildren is very important. :smiley:

Thanks,

Jeff