New Vero?

I am using a 5v SBooster power supply and it made a big difference!
Meaby a bit to much, but I don’t like to have switching powers in the audio / video chain.

There are 2.5 gig ethernet ports that the new device could get as an example, most newer consumer routers and computers have them. Which would make the wired faster than most wireless.

I run my Vero 4k+ with the AuraMod skin and it is more or less silky smooth and snappy, even displaying 1000s of tv show episodes is snappy (I’ve made a custom list with all of them just to test).

1 Like

FYI I’ve had one remote completely fail and 2 partial fails in the same way: play, stop and back buttons stopped working.

What does one need >Gigabit speeds for in a media player? UHD blu ray remuxes have a video bit rate that maxes out at 128mb/s; what has a higher bit rate than that? The player won’t be capable of 8K playback (as far as I can tell from the SoC specs). Even if you want to copy files across the network onto a locally-attached hard drive, most hard drive write speeds aren’t much faster than Gigabit unless you’re using a RAID array with striping. Solid state drives go faster, but likely aren’t big enough to hold large video files. There’s nothing you’re going to be doing that would benefit from more speed.

6 Likes

I am sorry, would you be so kind as to expand on the characteristics of this kind of files or point me to where I could learn about them and the different deinterlacing approaches one can adopt with them. I suspect I have some and I’m not sure I’m handling them correctly. I have a Vero 4K and a RTX 3070 HTPC, if that matters.

If we go too offtopic, please do write me a privatr message to explain, if you can.
Thanks in advance!

do you want to go mars with the new vero v? what are you plan to do with 2,5gb?

1 Like

I’ll send you a PM with some background.

1 Like

Have you opened a support request about this?

This is such an annoying attitude. When the Vero 4K originally came out, the question would’ve been “what does one need with >100mbit speeds?” and we all know how that turned out…

But he’s right. There’s nothing that requires speeds greater than Gigabit.

My point is that he’s right at this point in time but that doesn’t mean it will hold true in the future. Why not future-proof it? 2.5gig has been around for a decade now, and chips are readily available.

Most people don’t need it and adding it would inflate the cost to everyone. I don’t know if this is an extra £2, £20 or what but it likely would increase the cost for no real benefit.

When you bought/built your laptop/PC did you add 2.5GbE to it? Did you max out the RAM? This would future proof it for the exact same reasons. I know I certainly didn’t add these to my devices simply because I didn’t need them and by adding them I’d be adding cost that wasn’t needed.

4 Likes

Why not 5, 10, or 100gb? They have been around for a long time now as well. Outside of an increase in BOM I would imagine that power consumption would also factor in as well as having to work around extra heat. And let’s be honest, 2.5gb networking has only started becoming more common in the last couple years. It is nowhere near some kind of common minimum standard for consumer electronics at present. It has also been stated that the Vero V has a USB 3 port and 2.5gb nics that plug into that are a thing that exist for someone who just can’t live with having only gigabit networking.

Gigabit is future proofing. This is a video streamer, not a server.

5 Likes

The answer would have been “for playing UHD blu ray remuxes”. There absolutely was a need for that, which is precisely why the Vero 4K+ came out within a year.

Because you can’t. The SoC is not capable of decoding videos with Gigabit bit rates. So even if you could supply it data at that speed it couldn’t do anything with it.

And honestly, bit rates probably won’t climb much higher for a long time, if ever. Internet video providers have consistently used bit rates well below what is available on contemporary physical media; it will be a long time before they even catch up with UHD blu ray. And it is well established that UHD blu ray is the most advanced form of physical media that will ever exist: there will never be another generation of physical media after this one; this is the last. So we won’t be seeing higher nitrate disc remuxes - ever.

There are other issues too. If a video has a bit rate of above 1Gb/s, that means a two hour movie will take up at least a Terabyte on your hard drive; how much hard drive space will you need to be able to store a library of hundreds of movies? And plenty of hard drives have difficulty sustaining a data read rate of more than 1Gb/s too, unless you resort to RAID arrays.

If you’re expecting to stream gigabit video over the Internet, then good luck with that: remember how, during the pandemic, streaming media providers reduced the bitrates of their videos so that their customers didn’t use up every scrap of available internet bandwidth and paralyse vital services? You think the physical internet infrastructure that’s available right now can sustain the average customer downloading at >gigabit speeds for hours at a time? It can’t. Most people don’t even have >gigabit broadband connections, and that’s not going to change soon.

Then there’s the question of what you’re going to watch the video on. How many people own 8K displays, or will own one within the lifetime of this device? And how many people have eyesight good enough that they can actually see the difference between 4K and 8K on a smaller-than-cinema-sized screen?

Chances are we will never see gigabit videos. We’re more likely to see newer, more powerful video codecs that that can produce better quality video from the same bit rate. If we ever do see gigabit videos it will be decades in the future, not years; well outside the lifespan of this device.

6 Likes

What an utterly useless discussion this is. I bet there are much more interesting innovations about the new Vero. Please change the subject to literally anything else.

4 Likes

@sam_nazarko Sam, any chance the new box will get glitch free 3D MVC, or is just too niche to support going forward? I know I’m part of a very small group asking for it, but I have to ask.

They already answered that one: no chance at all.

To be clear, this isn’t the OSMC guys’ fault. The problem is in the SoC microcode, which AmLogic has no interest at all in fixing.

1 Like

So, does the Vero V have any more RAM compared to the Vero 4K?

Is the HDMI output capable of producing an 8K signal? And can it play 8K stuff on YouTube or is it still limited to 4K?

serious, what is the thing with 8K here with people? we are too bizzy with irrelevant things about the new box.

2 Likes