New Vero?

Yes – we will email subscribers on the Newsletter.

I’m gonna repeat a couple of questions, and poke @sam_nazarko this time. :slight_smile:

(poke)

1. Does the Vero V have any more RAM than the current model?

2. Is it capable of decoding 8K videos on YouTube?

3. Is it capable of outputting an 8K resolution picture? How about 4K/120Hz?

4. As of right now, and understanding that this could change at any moment, what kind of resolution on which providers does the L1 Widevine support get you?

These have been commented on, but if Sam has any info that would be nice:

1. Is there any chance the new device will fix the deinterlacing bugs that were introduced on the Vero 4K when you moved to the 4.9 kernel - particularly the lack of diagonal filtering?

2. Will be the new device be able to output a 25fps video at 50Hz without playback becoming jerky?

3. Does the new SoC give any improvements to cadence detection on interlaced material when decoding in hardware? (I.e. to distinguishing between field-interlaced and frame-interlaced).

And three new ones:

1. Given the more powerful CPU, will you enable upscaling methods other than bilinear when decoding in software?

2. Is upscaling quality when using hardware decoding improved by the new SoC?

3. Will it be able to play 4K 60fps videos with subtitles without skipping frames?

2 Likes

As someone who’s installed a gigabit ethernet adapater into the current Vero, I can attest to the fact I’ve not noticed any speed improvements over the scanning time.
Adapter details here: Gigabit Ethernet Adapter for Vero 4K

This has no doubt been asked many times and im sure your sick of being asked, but is there a rough timeline for expected launch? Is it expected to be Q3 or Q4 of this year?

1 Like

That would be awesome since one of my Vero’s was given away to my son who moved out…
Excellent moment to buy myself the latest :upside_down_face:

I see lots of great info here, but I am atill wondering if the hardware of the Vero V will output frame-packed 3D like the Vero 4k. I question because the newer hardware for various other devices can no longer handle it even though software can.

That has been covered in some detail. The new Vero’s MVC 3D capability will be identical to that of the Vero 4K - including, unfortunately, the macro-blocking issue.

It does indeed. I’ve published the technical specifications that I think people want here: Technical Specifications - Vero V - OSMC.

They’re not extensive, but I think it covers things from the sense of a media player.

I hope to open up orders to loyal customers as a soft launch in a couple of weeks

Cheers

Sam

6 Likes

That’s some pretty heavy post-processing, there (noise reduction, contrast enhancement, smart sharpness, etc.) - can you turn all of that stuff off if you want to?

Everything is configurable :slight_smile:

Sam

1 Like

Is the ethernet port still on the connectivity list :wink: as it doesn’t mention it, only wifi. Or did i overlooked something?

I’ve published the technical specifications that I think people want here:

It has a gigabit ethernet port.

Thanks for confirming, that is good to hear (as expected) that the ethernet port is still there

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning, will update specs shortly. There is indeed a Gigabit Ethernet port.

It is hard to work backwards (mention what’s included), when you know what’s included, if that makes sense…

3 Likes

Nice beefy specs, you mention an HDMI 2.1 port, does it also support QMS?

Hardware yes, software not yet.

1 Like

Not that many devices have it, so would otherwise be a nice plus.
My tv doesn’t even support it as far as I know, but would be a nice feature.

What is “Technicolor HDR processing”?

Another HDR format: https://advancedhdrbytechnicolor.com/

The HDR tonemapping is also very much improved on Vero V, with a lot of testers reporting significant improvements when playing on Vero V vs 4K +.

2 Likes