No 5.1 with optical audio + onkyo receiver

I’m having some trouble getting my 5.1 to work, and I’m not sure which settings to use.

Currently I have my Vero connected to the tv directly via the HDMI cable, so I can get 60hz HDR. This doesn’t seem to work if I route the hdmi via the Onkyo TX-NR414 receiver first, even though I have high speed hdmi cables. So to output the audio to my 5.1 system, I had to do it via the optical cable.

However, the audio seems weird now. It can’t output it nicely to my 5.1 speakers. Sometimes I have 5.1 sound, but I can’t hear the actors speak (I guess the speech channel doesn’t get routed to my centre speaker) . AC3 5.1 audio seems to work fine, but Eac3 doesn’t, for instance.

If I enable allow passthrough sometimes all audio mutes, and in other videos it seems to work, it’s not consistent.

Hi,

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Those are some very specific settings which I would have never figured out myself! Everything is working now, thanks.

2 Likes

Glad to hear this!

Another small question. I have a movie with DTS-HD audio, my receiver should support DTS-HD, so I’ve enabled it in the optical passthrough settings as shown in the wiki, however I only get the 5.1 audio when I disable it.

After doing some research it seems that both TrueHD and DTS-HD can not be sent over optical. I was confused by the following mentions in the wiki:

* **DTS-HD passthrough:**   *disabled*  (only present on Vero 1 and Vero 4K/4K +)
* **TrueHD passthrough:**   *disabled*  (only present on Vero 1 and Vero 4K/4K +)

Which made me think the option is present and you could set it as enabled if you were on a vero, but I guess what is meant is that you can only see this option on a vero :wink:

Good to know… How would it have been clearer for you?
Just asking so I can correct this/make this clearer. :slightly_smiling_face:

The paragraphs about HD audio and non-HD audio should make things clear eventually.

Well, I should have just looked better. Maybe change it to ‘option in menu only visible on…’ to make it a bit more clear for idiots like me.