No Audio with DTS-HD-HRA Movies

I know that… think the only possible solution is to revert to an older firmware for the receiver or to live in the future with this problem and to change the kodi settings for a movie with HRA… what i mean is when the vero team find a solution this will be very great but other and vero related things like 4k and playback of 3d mkv/iso are much more important!

1 Like

Just for information… change my setup to 5.1.4 with a Denon AVRX4400H 9.2 Receiver and the problems are gone - DTS-HRA will played correctly (Fast and Furious parts 5-7 audio shows “DTS:X” - my Marantz NR1607 display shows “Stereo” and no sound). I have read that Denon released a new firmware to fix problems with DTS-HRA audio…

The 4400 same as the 4300 and above have never been affected by the HRA issue. They use a different chipset which does a bitstream analysis and is therefore a lot more stable when it comes to detecting passthrough formats than the lower end AVRs from Denon…

Ah… doesn’t know that… the Denon Support told me last month that all models are affected and that was not a bug and that only dts Certified Player can play dts hra streams correctly in the future after a dts Firmware Update from November 2017…Never trust the Support! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually, the DTS firmware from November broke the playback for the lower end AVRs - users who reverted to the firmware before that could play HRA again, but had problems with DTS:X. It might be that HRA is transported differently than MA, but the problem is that the DTS specifications are not publicly accessible.
Denon saying it should be working, if the player is certified, still ignores the fact that many other AVRs (e.g. all Yamaha, as it seems also all Sonys and Pioneers as well as high-end Denon/Marantz AVRs - the latter two the Denon support should know about!) don’t have any problems playing back the HRA passthrough stream delivered by the Vero. There’s some mistake in their logic :man_shrugging:t2:

The main (published) reason for the November update were problems with DTS:X especially based on HRA (which is still very rare). The Cirrus Logic chipsets of those lower end AVRs (used by Denon and also some Onkyos which seem to have the same issues) had problems with DTS:X from the beginning on. They were the last ones to receive DTS:X updates due to faulty firmware which couldn’t playback DTS:X properly - other chipset manufacturer like Analog Devices and Texas Instruments were faster and more accurate at delivering this it seems.
The conclusion I personally draw from this: DTS had some serious problems delivering proper specs for DTS:X when it was introduced under a harsh deadline (Atmos was already gaining momentum) and therefore one of the three big chipset manufacturers produced a chipset which is kind of faulty when it comes to DTS formats. It might be that others are just more tolerant to non-certified ways of transporting DTS audio, but it’s certain that those Cirrus Logic chipsets are somewhat different. Whether this is now a mistake by DTS, Cirrus Logic, Denon or all of them: who knows :man_shrugging:t2: But none of them have been helpful or willing to share any knowledge about the difference or a workaround.

Call yourself lucky now you have an AVR which is very robust. I’ve got the predecessor, the 4300H, and we’ve done extensive testing with it during work on audio improvements. It’s rock solid with even the strangest ways of signaling passthrough formats :+1:t2:

2 Likes

@Chillbo
True, you might remember that I also own the 4400. The April update fixed the playback of almost everthing. However I sometimes still must turn the AVR off and on, as sometimes the detection fails. Maybe its a matter in which order I turn on TV AVR and Vero4k.

Maybe. When I turn my TV on, the AVR (Yamaha) comes on (through some CEC magic, I suppose) but then I have to toggle the AVR off and on to get ARC to work.

I’ve a Shield and Dune 4k Pro. The Shield exhibits the same problems with DTS-HD HR. And with high bitrate Atmos tracks. The Dune copes with it all fine. But has other problems. So far these just no such things as a problem free player. I guess it’ll take a while and possibly some hardware revisions before everyone has a handle on it all. By which time we’ll be onto new formats and new challenges :wink:

Receiver manufacturers obviously aren’t helping.

I have some ideas on the high nitrate Atmos issues

Thats great news Sam

I was going to make a post to help me troubleshoot but a search led me to this thread.
I’m having the same issue with my admittedly low end Denon amp,
sometimes the high bitrate DTS tracks on my UHD rips play but more often than not they don’t and the DTS core is not sent through to the amp, although all Dolby stuff works fine.

As my UHD system is being built piecemeal as and when I can afford it and I am still only using a 5:1 speaker setup I have a question for those more knowledgeable than me, is it worth me investing anymore time or money to rectify this or should I just stick to my Vero 4K having the DTS HD option unchecked in system settings which does then send the DTS core to my amp? Would I notice any difference on a 5:1 setup with the full DTS HD stuff being decoded by the amp or am I better off leaving as is until I upgrade my speaker setup?

We’re still looking in to it. Not sure how it will go yet.
But we will add an option to disable passthrough for HRA only so you can still get other formats passed through without issue.

Sam

@sam_nazarko your dedication to your product never ceases to amaze me, thank you yet again for such a swift reply.
I really hope you sell many thousands of Vero 4K’s and make some good money from your hard work.

I only asked this now after 6 months of owning my Vero because I had some free time today and thought I’d have another stab at getting the DTS stuff working (sad I know lol).

As per my previous post though perhaps an audiophile or expert on these matters could help, am I wasting my time with a 5:1 setup trying to get it all working, should I just stick to the DTS core which is working just fine (with DTS-HD disabled in settings)?

Thanks for your kind words.

I would re-enable HD formats when the HRA option becomes available. I can make some testing available this weekend if you’d like to try. This will be the best scenario for receivers that are having problems with DTS-HD HRA audio.

Cheers

Sam

I thought you would make a test build based on the HRA patch posted in my topic?

I’m not going to have the time this weekend to test anything but thanks for the offer, I think I shall leave the status quo as is for the time being.

If you enable DTS passthrough but disable DTS-HD, I think vero will send the core 5.1 to the receiver. If you disable passthrough entirely, vero will decode the HRA which ought to sound better than the core 5.1. Only your ears can tell.

Which one was that? If you mean the link to the LAVfilters thing we’ve looked at that but are struggling to reproduce that with kodi.

Yup that one, been waiting for a test build since Sam said that would be coming shortly, haven’t heard anything since that post though.

There’s been progress but still working on exactly what to feed to the hdmi driver.