No Hdmi ARC on AV receiver when V4K is hooked

Did I say it wasn’t? Although I could see how it might seem condescending or whatever to point out something (hdmi 2) that may seem obvious to some there are others that it may not seem so. I got tripped up myself on a LG TV I recently purchased as I just assumed that the one hdmi port on the back of the TV would be the correct port to plug in my AVR. It wasn’t until I went to swap cables that I turned on some additional lighting and was able to read the labels I saw my error.

As for your ‘lock-up’ issue that is probably the known issues with Denon and Marantz and happens to people who are not running any kind of Kodi box. I use a Denon receiver and have had to power cycle it a few times to straighten out CEC. I added a expensive power conditioner to my setup (because of a seemingly unrelated issues) and my AVR has not hiccuped since.

I have a wide range of devices on my AVR, never had a lock up on ARC before connecting the Vero. System ran fine for a few months, one day, out of the blue, ARC locked out. What was strange is that it was impossible to re-start the external speaker service from the TV menu, even after full power down. Only once the Vero was physically disconnected from the AVR did ARC come back. Happened again a while later, but thankfully has been trouble free now for quite a while. Not impossible that it is not an issue with the Vero itself, but the circumstantial evidence is very much pointing against it.

That is my workaround as well. Very annoying, but better than when I leave it plugged in.
If I leave the Vero connected the ARC locks out a few times a week. The only fix then is rebooting the Vero or disconnecting its hdmi. And rebooting the tv and AVR.

My setup is Vero 4K->onkyo AVR->LG C8

I’ve been watching all these ARC issue threads and can’t help but notice that everyone has an LG OLED TV.
I’ve experienced this issue myself (I have a C8).
It’s always happens when my children fire up the TV to use it with some other device (WiiU, WebOS app, etc.).
I have found that if I turn on my TV to the Vero and let everything establish, you can then switch it to a different input or launch and app and it works.
It’s like the Vero is willing to surrender if it’s up, but if it’s not you have to pull the HDMI to break it’s hold on your setup.
I have my CEC settings configured so if I press a button on the Vero it wakes up and the TV and soundbar follow.
So I always turn on my system that way since I’m usually using the Vero.
If I switch from there to something else, then no problem, but if everything is off and my wife or children turn on the TV with the TV remote and then pick an input for a different device or launch an app, then no ARC.
I know that sounds weird, but maybe it helps you guys out in your pursuit to finding a fix or work around.
My setup is Vero > Samsung HW-N950 > C8 ARC HDMI
My children’s WiiU is plugged directly into the C8.

I had the same issue which was fixed using Kontrarian’s advice: Vero 4K+ messes with ARC - #68 by pinn73

Kontrarian, i encounter the topic’s issue with my Samsung Q950R tv, so it’s not about LG TVs.

Same as people thinking about Denon/Marantz AVR related, first time I noticed the issue, I had an Onkyo RZ710 AVR.

I think it’s needed to stay focus on AVR/ARC combinations not on other setups since this is a minimalist (although higher end) configuration.

Hi all,

Reading this topic made me reacting.

I have the same issue with the Vero4K on my brand new Denon 2700x…
As soon as I unplug the HDMI cable the ARC function came back almost instantly from my, a brand new, Philips TV… I tried 3 diffefrent cables for and all cables resulted in the same outcome

Switching to an other HDMI port on the Receiver worked. For a few hours.
After switdhing every thing on, no ARC and thus no Netflix/Amazon or other apps gave sound from the TV to the receiver. No I have the Vero 4K unplugged for 6 day and no issues. But it’s not the way I want it to work :slight_smile:

I tried the solutions mentioned above and none worked. The only solution to get the audio from the TV (apps) is by disconnecting the HDMI cable from the VERO…

My setup:
Denon Receiver X2700H - Feb 2021
Philips TV 58PUS8505 - Jan 2021

Also issues on older setup:
Onkyo receiver TN-XR868
Philips TV 58PUS7304

Bastiaan

When you experience this problem, is the Vero still powered?

Sam

Hello Sam,

Yes, it was still powered. The strange thing: I changed all the cables etc to find out, it was the VERO on the “MEDIA” HDMI port from the Denon X2700 receiver.
I changed it to the “BLURAY” HDMI port, as I don’t use that port. For the rest of the evening it worked smoothly, TV not showing "Turning to TV-Speakers.

But the next morning, when I turned the TV, AVR and cable box on, immediately the TV showed the Turning to TV Speakers. When I want to change in the TV menu the output, it’s giving an error.

So, I unplugged the HDMI from the VERO, restarted TV and Receiver and no issues anymore. When I turn on the Reveiver, TV and Cable box, the TV shows: Sound switching to AVReiver. (so ARC works again) But to make sure its when the VERO is off or on, I plugged him back in this morning and turned power on. I’ll check this evening if the problem remains when I turn the VERO off and leave the HDMI connected. (Only issue then is turning on the VERO, as I need to unplug and plug the powercord)

Keep you posted!

You can use the Suspend option which should let you wake the device with the remote. When you do this, we turn off the HDMI TMDS clock, so it should not cause problems.

Well,

That didn’t work. Even using suspend, it seems the V4K is blocking the ARC functionality from the TV
Tested it yesterday, but the only way to get ARC working again, is by unplugging the HDMI cable.

I’ll test other ways to. Even with a complete shutdown, the ARC issue remains. (on different HDMI in ports on the receiver). Will follow up on this later this week.

Thanks so far for the support (and the great device)

Have you read this in your Denon manual?

https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2700H/EU/EN/GFNFSYkabkahie.php

→ TV Audio Switching

Does it change the behaviour if deactivated?

I have read the manual and I’ve tried all options. Nothing changes.
With the V4K unplugged, I have no issues. It might be another device is screwing the V4K’s connection, but for now, I can live with the situation. And most important, I can use the Netflix/Amazon/F1Pro app etc from the TV with sound via the receiver.

Further on, nothing but kudo’s for the V4K…4K, DTS-HD sound … I love it!

Have the same thing here.
LG TV <-> Onkyo <-> Vero.

If the Vero is plugged on a HDMI there is trouble with other Devices, even if the power of the Vero is off!
If i unplug the Vero all other device work as they did before.
My only “workaround”: I unplug it from HDMI. No software update helped, on cable-change, nothing. The vero is disturbing my hole setup. i had 2 other set top boxes before they did not make this trouble. iam very disappointed because this problems i have last for a couple of month now. and all i can do is unplug it from hdmi.

There is an option to physically disable the CEC connection on the Vero. You loose all CEC functions on the Vero, but it would allow the rest of the setup to have unencumbered use of that bus. There are so called “CEC less adapter” that can be purchased to put inline with your device or you could modify a cable. If you google “hdmi disable pin 13” you will find lots of info on the subject.

In addition to @darwindesign’s suggestion: You find the CEC settings at

settings → system → peripherals → input → CEC adapter

and besides the enable/disable flag you’ll find tons of other methods how to adapt the mediacenter’s CEC behaviour to your specific environment.