No Internet (eth0 or WiFi)

Parental control on the router is another idea … but we do not know this router in detail.

And you disabled the wired adapter in MyOSMC and enabled the wireless one, there?

in the My OSMC settings i’ve tried disabling wired and enabling wireless, and vice versa.
on the one Vero, i get no internet connection on wired, but i do get internet wireless. but it is then too slow to stream any content from my server (same house, different room).
on the other Vero, neither wired or wireless are able to get an internet connection

Last night I tried something. I reset one Vero by reinstalling osmc from a USB stick. I then tried to connect to my home WiFi and had no internet connection. So it can’t be an add-on or config problem on osmc.

I then created a WiFi hotspot from my mobile phone, and connected to that, and still had no internet. Surely this rules out my router as the problem, because here I’m connecting to my mobile and going straight to the internet.

Tonight in going to try installing a different version of osmc and see.

The only other thing I can think of is that somehow, even when installing osmc from scratch, the Vero is keeping some config somewhere that is messed up?

No, if you reinstall via USB stick all data is overwritten.
And while your phone hotspot test clearly points to the Vero as an issue I can not imagine any problem that would impact wired and wireless network.
When connect to the phone is it same behavior that traceroute stops at the Gateway?

I’ll test that this evening

Still no luck on this. i basically have 2 Vero devices that are almost useless at the moment because they are unable to update their libraries with new content on my server (as they cannot connect to MovieDB or TvDB sites)

not sure what else i could do.

So did you test that?

Also my only other advice would be to try to change the MAC of the Vero as that is one of the last things how a router can identify the device other than the IP

i thought a MAC address was hardware based and cannot be changed. how can one change the MAC address?

Yes, it is hardware base but you still should be able to spoof in in software
sudo ifconfig eth0 hw ether d4:43:29:b8:43:49

Anyhow I suggest you do some more test as all your LAN communication is working it must be some magic happening in your Gateway.

1 Like

i agree. the only other i can test is to bring a vero into work, and try connect it to my work Wifi. it that works, then it must be something at home.

if i get the same result at the office (with a completely different network) then surely there must be something broken on my vero’s (not sure what could have broken both of them though?

The fact that neither WiFi or Ethernet work suggests a routing issue to me.

Both functionalities would have been tested prior to dispatch and the odds of both failing are extremely unlikely. I would test it at a friend’s or on your work network.

1 Like

I’ve had these Vero’s working for more than a year. never had an issue. the only other thing i can think of is that my ISP is blocking something… maybe i should give them a call.

but i’m not sure if there is any way that they’d be able to block traffic from a vero, and why? (i did ask earlier if the vero uses any specific ports or protocols that might be blocked by firewall or routers, but the answer was no)

No they will not be able to detect a Vero as your Router/Gateway will hide all that.
And the Vero doesn’t use any specific ports especially when you run a traceroute.
You could check traceroute 8.8.8.8 from your notebook to see if that might be in general be blocked by your ISP.

my laptop (connected with ethernet or wifi) is able to traceroute to 8.8.8.8

Than I would try with changing the MAC address of the Vero to see what happens.
Or as you wrote test in your office first.

1 Like

I’ve uploaded screenshots of my router.
Nothing seems out of place or strange. but i thought someone here might see something i’m missing

Hi all.

Its been a few weeks since my last post or update. and here’s where things stand.
I have tried everything I can imagine, to try and get my vero 4k devices to work smoothly.

currently I have 2 vero 4k boxes. both are plugged in to my network via ethernet cables and are able to play content from my server. however they both continue to state that they have no internet connection, and so cannot update OSMC or their libraries.
The only way i am able to update libraries is by turning off ethernet and connecting to my wifi. I have a 5G wifi router and the signal is strong at both boxes both on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. My fibre connection runs at 200 Mbps, and once connected to wifi I can update libraries and OSMC versions, but for some reason the wifi is so slow that it takes a long time to update. Secondly, I am unable to watch any content while on the wifi as the network is too slow (after a few seconds of playing, kodi pauses to buffer for 10-15 seonds). This is strange because I am able to run Kodi on my laptop or mobile phone in the same room, connected to the same wifi SSID and can watch content without any issues.

I have all but given up at this point and have now installed an alternative app (won’t say the name) on my smart TV, and am using a chromecast with the same same to cast content to the other TV, which at least allows me to view my content, although I never like the UI and far prefer OSMC/Kodi…

Any last attempts to help before I make the final call to disconnect the vero boxes, and hang up the towel on this one, would be greatly appreciated.

Well surely there are always ways. E.g. as I suggested

Did you do either of that? If you need help to change the MAC address please let me know.

Hey.

I’m busy trying to cahnge it, but i can’t change the MAC address unless I down the interfact, then i have no way to connect to it. one user online suggested

I recommend additing it to /etc/rc.local then. Then it will be set, in software on every boot.
You can also do it with sudo fw_setenv mac “xx…” to make it permanent, but this will void your warranty.

not sure if this is the correct way to do it and if i will in fact void my warranty (although I’ve had these for quite a while so i assume my warranty is over a long time ago)

Can’t you used quickly connect a keyboard to do it on the terminal?