No signal from device after playing 60fps content

Just tried again this morning with audio passthrough and no screen overlay and reached temperatures above 116C again although it wasn’t increasing as fast as before. I even tried removing the audio and subtitles entirely from the .mkv and only play the video with the same result.

CaptainMoody, what kind of temperatures did you reach? And did you experience any skipped frames?

I only watched the first 10 or so minutes and it just played normally, didn’t think to check the temp.
Is there a specific point in the movie where your player overheats or is it just a gradual build?

Just a gradual build up over 10-15 minutes before it reaches the critical temperature. Can you check whether you get skipped frames as well? Ctrl+Shift+O lets you see that.

Can you change your skin to Estuary and see what happens during playback with that.

Same thing happens. Here’s the log from the crash happening at 17:21:53.486: https://paste.osmc.tv/oxovelepuj

Hi Sam,

Same situation… Gemini Man 4k Hdr 60 FPS. Vero crash after some time. For the first time it was 60 minuts. Than I restarted and play where I finished and it crashed after 5 minuts.
I have problem only with this movie.

But I don’t have any others 4k hdr 60fps do long clips.

Best tegards

Experiencing the same issues. I fidled around a bit with the adjustable refresh rate but no real improvement realy. I dont seem to have the heat issues though, watched the first 10 minutes and when I stopped and checked the temp it was under the 100 degrees.

But frames keep skipping and there are hickups in the audio for a few miliseconds. Also it seems to lose the playback every now and then. Screen goes to black and comes back up after a second or so also flashing the HDR logo again.

Realy hope we can figure some out how to improve this because I howevery realy like the 60 FPS movies were gonna see more off in the future. And im gonna wait watching Gemini Man untill this gets resolved.

I’ve also started download on Halftime Walk to see if it has the same issues… Also a 4k UHD HDR 60 FPS movie. If I can do anything in the mean time to help get a grip on this let me know.

Regarding the screen blacking out, the first thing to try would be another HDMI cable as the signal in question uses an extremely high data rate and as such can be quite sensitive to any flaws. If you are going through any other devices such as a splitter or AVR then try it directly connected to the TV. As a last resort you can try turning on HPD Lock in the settings.

The cables should be fine, pretty new high speed hdmi cables. The AV however has HDMI 2.0a, which should be able to proces 4k 60 FPS but maybe it hits a limit or something. I’ll try to connect the vero directly to the tv to see if the blacking out of the signal still hapens, if not the AV is the problem… And I probably need a new one :sweat_smile:

Assumptions are a flaw in trying to diagnose a problem. At 18gb/s it could take as little as a kink to degrade a cable permanently.

My rip plays just fine on the Vero 4K +, not a single hiccup in the whole movie. Audio Passthrough and Adjust Display Refresh Rate were enabled.

Not that I think it matters, but my Vero isn’t sitting flat on the shelf (not enough room). Maybe that helps cool it a bit?

CPU usage using the overlay display hovers around 20-40% with occasional peaks at 60%.

“High Speed” is not adequate for 18gbps. I mean, it might work, but it’s not guaranteed to. You need something that is certified as premium high speed.

Do you mind checking what temperature it levels off at after a while? Also, if it’s not sitting flat, how is it sitting? I’m curious if putting mine the same way will help the temperatures. You can check current CPU temperature through SSH with cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp in case you didn’t already know.

What is the output format of cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp?
At rest mine is 53000

I’m more interested in the temperature while the video has been running for quite some time.

I’m not at home but I can start it playing from the office and check via ssh.
More chance of me testing like this than convincing my wife to sit through a cruddy Will Smith action movie :slight_smile:

Does 53000 = 53c ?

Haha, I can relate. Yes, 53000 is 53C. Thanks for taking the time.

Unrelated: How do you start playing something on your box from your office?

I spoke too soon.
I have a control system that I can connect to offsite for the AV side.
I assumed I could connect to Kodi’s webui via VPN to start the movie playing but I can’t for some reason. It keeps losing the websocket connection.

Is there a way to start something playing via SSH?

You can use kodi-send to send json commands
https://kodi.wiki/view/List_of_built-in_functions

It’s ok - Figured out I could “Play On…” from my Emby server