No signal from device after playing 60fps content

I watched about 10 minutes of Gemini Man just now, and it seemed to be levelling off at around 90 degrees C, but I can’t say for sure that it wouldn’t have climbed higher. That seems a little high to me.

Had to stop it at the 1hr 25min mark as my wife desperately needed to catch up on Hollyoaks but here’s the temps:

At rest - 53c
10 minutes in - 81c
25 minutes in - 88c
35 minutes in - 92c
45 minutes in - 93c
55 minutes in - 94c
65 minutes in - 97c
75 minutes in - 97c
85 minutes in - 97c

Dropped to 70c a couple of minutes after I stopped playback.

That is definitely much better than mine. Thanks for the test, Moody. I’ll see if I can get my hands on another 60fps video and to test further.

Where is yours located? What is your Vero temp “at rest”?
Mine is sitting on a shelf in an AV cabinet with plenty of room round it.

Mine is also on a shelf in a cabinet below the TV with an idle temperature around 60-62C. I did however try and place it “out in the open” in the living room but with the same temperature results when playing that 60fps video.

The Vero is behind a closed fabric door in an Unnu cabinet with an open back.

Idle temperature is 59°C.

10 minutes: 83°C
15 minutes: 86°C
35 minutes: 90°C
40 minutes: 93°C
50 minutes > end: 93±4°C

I never saw it go past 97°C.

Just tried again with Gemini Man and Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk. This is with the Estuary skin, with audio passthrough enabled and with the display settings in the post earlier in this thread. CPU usage of kodi.bin (via top) was around 90-150% and no other process had much cpu usage. This was done with the Vero box “out in the open” - see image below.

Gemini Man:

0 min: 64C
5 min: 92C
10 min: 101C
15 min: 109C
Crash shortly after

Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk:

0 min: 71C
5 min: 101C
10 min: 107C
15 min: 114C
Crash shortly after.

It’s possible that the Vero 4K+ may do better than the original Vero 4K here. I seem to remember it has a bigger or better heatsink on the CPU.

@stefannh Do you have a gigabit USB adaptor for your 4k?

The S905D is a larger package so dissipates heat more effectively.

@CaptainMoody Not sure what that is. All I have connected is a HDMI cable, an ethernet cable, usb keyboard and the usb remote control. It’s a 4K+ by the way.

OK. Assumed you had a standard 4k

Its the cables supplied by osmc, so i reccon the are good enough for 4k UHD 60 FPS.

So I finally got around to testing the HDMI cables. I have 2 running from the vero to the AV, and from the AV the TV. I used them both and connected the vero directly to the TV bypassing the AV. Wachted the first 10 minutes of the movie and not a single hick-up, no frame skips or sounds skipping/ticks. Also no issues where the signal drops and the screen turns black for a second.

So its pretty clear the cables are fine and the AV is the issue.

I had to replace the OSMC-supplied cable with a better one to get 4K working.

My experience is only with NVidia Shield Pro (2017) with MrMC 3.9.4 and no issues at all in playback.
Not tried yet on my Vero 4K+.

It’s not at all clear.

Imagine you’re talking to someone over a crackly phone line, and they talk quietly. You can’t make out the words over the crackles. Someone else takes over, speaking much louder. Now you can understand every word.

The fact that you can understand one person and not the other might be because the person you can’t understand speaks too quietly; but it could also be because the line is faulty and it just happens that the other person speaks loud enough to compensate. Unless you try listening to the quiet person on a phone line you know isn’t faulty, you can’t be sure.

It can actually get a bit more complicated than that. You test told you that your cables individually can pass that bandwidth good enough. This then leaves the question of what your AVR is doing with the signal. If your AVR is doing “something” to the signal then the limitation might be the AVR itself. It also may be that the AVR has to be set in a non-default mode to allow the signal to pass (such as switch to passthrough). If the AVR is just using straight passthrough then your connecting is actually the degradation picked up by both cables combined plus the interconnects, because it is not getting boosted by the AVR. At these speeds doubling the length of your cable is significant. Sometimes using a better cable/s allows a longer run to be successful.

Do you still need a sample of Gemini Man, Sam? If you post an upload link I can post an extract.

The film seems to play back OK according to several users. Are you playing back an official 1:1 copy of the disk? There might be a problematic version on the internet out there…

Would anyone that does not have any issues playing 60 fps content mind uploading a sample of say, 10 minutes, for me to try out. Seems like I’m one of the few who have issues.