No sound and stuttering live tv after july and august update (vnsi client)

After the July update I had the sane problem as described here (Sound does not work on live TV after update. TV and videos freeze) with the vnsi client. (German h.265 codec)
Recordings seem to work.
I reinstalled the version from May and everything was fine again.
I was hoping, that the August update fix things - but I had no luck.
Find the logs here: https://paste.osmc.tv/cepofovugi
I will start reinstalling the May version.
Holger

Some more Information:
The current KODI version works flawlessly under Linux. The VDR-VNSI Version in Linux is 2.6.23

BTW: The installer seems to be broken as well. It downloads 412 Bytes and the tries to unzip…
See the file list:
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 31 20:15 OSMC_TGT_vero3_20170615.img
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 412 Aug 31 20:15 OSMC_TGT_vero3_20170615.img.gz
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 31 20:20 OSMC_TGT_vero3_20170705.img
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 412 Aug 31 20:20 OSMC_TGT_vero3_20170705.img.gz

Downloading the images directly works.

Hi Holger

Does running echo 4 > /sys/module/amvdec_h264/parameters/dec_control before playback help?

Sam

Hi Sam,

sorry for the late answer. But as the Vero is unusable when Live TV is not working I had to restore the May version and currently all this takes too much time…
With the last update things changed somewhat - but first of all: We are talking about H.265 codec - not H.264.
The current state: We seem to have two different framerates here: Some channels send 50 fps and some send 59.940 fps
The framerate 50fps seems to work, the other not.
Changing the /sys/module/amvdec_h264/parameters/dec_control to 4 does not seem to have any impact at all. (BTW: It seems to be the default…)
Any other idea?
Holger

Hello Holger

It’s the default as of September.
Do recordings also have problems?

If they do, please send me a sample and I will look in to it further.

Sam

I have uploaded the logs again to https://paste.osmc.tv/bukocuredo
Will try a recording now…
But let me ask again: You have recognised we are talking about h.265 here?

Holger

Hi Holger,

Can you upload debug logs? That will let me see in more detail what the issue may be. The current logs don’t have debugging enabled.

Yes – the vdec parameter won’t improve H265 performance; and I originally didn’t read that correctly. The fact that older versions work correctly is promising though and we should be able to work out the issue.

Sam

I did that already - as I stated in my last comment. Or did you need something different?

I have recorded a small piece of the non working live tv as well. But it plays without any problem. VDR has converted it into a 50fps format.

Holger

Hi Holger,

The log doesn’t appear to have debugging enabled:

18:40:18.699 T:4107804672  NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.
18:40:18.699 T:4107804672  NOTICE: Log level changed to "LOG_LEVEL_NORMAL"

Is there a way you can get the raw stream before VDR transcodes it? If you can confirm if that’s problematic, and share a sample I can investigate further

Sam

go a little down the log file. I have enabled debug logging later, than start a live channel which does not work correctly and after that startet a channel which works…

19:09:23.121 T:4107804672  NOTICE: Log level changed to "LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG_FREEMEM"
19:09:23.121 T:4107804672  NOTICE: Enabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 2.

Hi Holger,

Thanks for clarifying that.

Kodi seems to think the streams are 50fps:

CRenderManager::Configure - change configuration. 1920x1080. display: 1920x1080. framerate: 50.00. format: AMLCODEC

If they’re not, this is going to cause problems.
A sample of the stream (without transcoding) would be quite useful.

You can also list any affected channels and I will check with some other DVB-T2 users in Germany who may be using TVHeadend and be able to get a raw capture.

Sam

two questions:
Why does that work in the version from may?
Can I capture the stream inside the vero? This would be the best to analyze - I think.

I don’t know. That’s why I need a sample.

You can request the backend to record from most PVR clients. But I don’t think if VDR performs post-processing on the stream as it captures it.

Sam

You can request the backend to record from most PVR clients. But I don’t think if VDR performs post-processing on the stream as it captures it.

Hmm, I do not understand here: The stream which is recieved by the client is the one which is decisive. So a capture inside osmc would be the best - woudn’t it.
One other informaton: The framerate is correctly shown in the onscreen display (when presssing the menu-button), so the information inside the stream seems to be correct.

If I can not capture from within the vero, I don’t know how to do it. But I can give you two examples:
The channels send by ARD works fine (at 50 fps) the channels send by ZDF does not (at 59… fps)

Holger

There’s no ‘capture support’ per se with Kodi.

To look in to the problem I would just want a recorded sample from the backend, that when copied to a USB stick or NAS share doesn’t play properly on OSMC.

I don’t know much about VDR, but I will see if I can get a user to test those channels.

Sam

Hi Holger,

Hopefully the issue is now fixed.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Sam

Thanks for your efforts, Sam.
It does not ssem to be better - but different. Channels which worked before fail now and channels which failed before work now.
I have uploaded another log under https://paste.osmc.tv/gaporeliza
What I did while debug was enabled:

• Power up system
  • Switch to ‘ARD’ (does not work)
  • Switch to ‘ZDF’ (works)
  • Play a record from ARD (some soconds of news wors, after that a mooie starts and the system stops)

Now, after switching off the debug loggoing neither ARD nor ZDF works.
Reboot does not help. So no TV at all…

Holger

I really need a sample to work things out then. I will try from other German users. The reports have been quite positive.

Are all affected channels still HEVC?

Sam

• If anyone has a tip how to capture a sample from the vnsi stream for me, I’m happy to follow.
  • since a few month we have HEVC as the only dvb-t2 standard in germany.
  • As a temporarily solution I installed tv headend server and plugged my hauppage wintv solo hd stick in the vero usb-port… but it’s not recognized. (The vero linux kernel is way to old!) So no luck here as well.

I now bought a proprietary DVB-T2 reciever with PVR functionality. Finally I’m able to watch TV.
It’s so sad. Before everything switched to HEVC, everything worked fine.

Hopefully I can return to Linux/OSMC soon.

Holger

I have updated to kodi version 18 and nearly everything works. There are som sound dropouts the first 30 seconds (with stereo sound - there is no 5.1 sound to test on any channel this morning) and after that, everything is fine.

Holger

Hello Holger,

I’ve been chasing what I assumed to be a regression as you said it worked in July. But I don’t suppose that in July, German TV used H264, and now it’s changed to H265?

I will try and get some recordings from other users.

Sam