No SPDIF sound and squeezed video after September update

I’ve tried that - didn’t work

cat /var/log/hdmi-trace.log | paste-log

http://paste.osmc.io/ilihuwoqar

osmc@osmc:~$ printf "$(echo \0$(find /sys -name edid -exec cat {} +|sed 's/\0x/\\x/g') | sed 's/\ //g' | sed 's/\0//' )" |tr -d ' ' | paste-log
find: `/sys/kernel/debug': Permission denied

http://paste.osmc.io/qomozogari

I wasn’t clear. Run sudo -s which will make you root and let you run this command

Sam

root@osmc:/home/osmc# printf “$(echo \0$(find /sys -name edid -exec cat {} +|sed ‘s/\0x/\x/g’) | sed ‘s/\ //g’ | sed ‘s/\0//’ )” |tr -d ’ ’ | paste-log
http://paste.osmc.io/yogilobivu

Hi

That should be enough now for me to take a further look at the issue

Sam

Sam, thank you for your help, I forgot to mention that I’m using SPDIF to RCA convertor which is powered by USB cable straight from Vero in case it matters

Sam, any updates ?

Apologies – was ill for a couple of days but looking in to it.

it seems the EDID Isn’t parseable, can you re-try with:

find /sys -name edid -exec cat {} + | paste-log

You don’t need to be on the broken version for this – the EDID is independent of any version of OSMC and is sent by the TV / receiver.

Sam

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo find /sys -name edid -exec cat {} + | paste-log
http://paste.osmc.io/picorivafo

Sam, video issue is annoying however I can get around it via changing ratio, but lack of the sound make the system completely unusable, any advice on that ? I’m ready to downgrade to any usable build, can I do it before you guys fix the problems?

Hi

@mk01 took a look at this. The video issue should be resolved in the next update:

Still looking at audio issue. The projector does not advertise any supported audio modes (which makes sense, as it is a projector).

Sam

Can you upload the output of speaker-test -c2 -Ddefault:imxspdif

if that command is not found, try sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install alsa-utils

Can you try plug the Vero in to another TV and see if SPDIF works? Is the SPDIF light illuminating when you try and play audio? Is it off when you’re not? The light should be on for three seconds or so at boot, then go off until you try and play something.

Sam

osmc@osmc:~$ speaker-test -c2 -Ddefault:imxspdif

speaker-test 1.0.28

Playback device is default:imxspdif
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 128 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 4096
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 5.632905
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
^CTime per period = 4.2660

I connected to TV and everything works perfect via HDMI, also I’ve noticed that not only video image is squeezed same issue with program icons, previews and even animated loading icons which looks like an ellipse rotated 45 degree not a circle

Sam, I’ve tried all images from here Download - OSMC.

Only June version works great for me - no sound and video issues at all

I’ll stick with it for a while, if you need any log files let me know, I understand that not a lot of people using SPDIF output on Vero and you don’t have a lot of complains about that problem

Hi

I am still keen to get this issue fixed. We have a few people using SPDIF, and they don’t have an issue (I think @chris_vero uses a projector and SPDIF just like you).

The video issue is taken care of, but SPDIF may take a bit of time. I am trying to wrap up the issue which affects booting on Vero at the moment, so this is taking a bit of my time as it is very high priority.

Sam

Hi, Sam, I’ve updated to the latest build and again same issues with sound and video ? Do you stop supporting Vero 1st generation at all? I guess I need to downgrade to June version again

When we announced the Vero 1 we said we would offer three years of support (features and performance improvements) and five years of security updates. This is still the case.

I would need to see a log and EDID if the options persist after this time. We are not aware of it persisting.

Sam

@sam_nazarko
my bad, just updated to April version and video looks good, but there still no sound by SPDIF, what log files do you need ?

I’m hearing a bunch of weird digital noises when executing this command

osmc@osmc:~$ speaker-test -c2 -Ddefault:imxspdif

speaker-test 1.0.28

Playback device is default:imxspdif
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 128 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 4096
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 5.709887
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 6.053235
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 6.053168
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 6.052855
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 6.052842
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 6.052958
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
^CTime per period = 5.620584

@sam_nazarko what else can I submit to your to resolve that issue ?

@sam_nazarko I need an update?

If the speaker test is working, then this may suggest a Kodi issue with parsing the audio capabilities from EDID. I will double check with @mk01 again as it seems this issue has persisted for you, but I haven’t seen any other reports.

If you can SCP an audio file (WAV) and run aplay -Ddefault:imxspdif filename.wav and let me know if that plays back OK that would be good to know.

Sam