Non-European Subtitles

I have been all over the web and I cannot figure this out. I want to have the system be in English but the subtitle for a movie to show up in Thai (it should also work for Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Cambodian, Hindi, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, etc).

I just cannot get a non-european subtitle to be legible. It only shows Boxes where the characters are supposed to be. I do not want to change the whole system to Thai. I only wish for the subtitles to display the text correctly.

I have read all of these links and none of them help.

I read the subtitle manual
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Set_up_subtitle_services

I still cannot get it to work. I have installed the font like suggested here
http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/6397

I read some old messages from 2013 about this
htt p://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=188257
htt p://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=39588

I even read one on this forum that was not helpful

I know that the subtitle files are correct as it shows up properly on my computer…

So can you help. I cannot believe that it has been this hard or that this is not a feature already built into the systems (by now all international fonts should be supported).

So please help me. I am very computer savvy but I have no clue what else I can do.

Thanks

I can’t believe it has taken this long! I managed to find three Thai fonts online at Slice of Thai - Free Thai Fonts

h ttp://slice-of-thai.com/fonts/

Garuda.ttf
ST-TT-Garuda-Regular.ttf
AD-TT-Garuda-Regular.ttf

After trying out 14 different fonts these ended up being the only ones that actually work. How is that possible?? Can someone please upload them someplace safe for others in the future to locate and use?

What Font do people who don’t use Latin characters use if they want to use Kodi??
Is there a reason it is not included in the English version?
Can h ttp://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Set_up_subtitle_services be a updated to list a link to the correct font for each language if it cannot be all inclusive?

We are not Kodi friend. This is the OSMC forum. You’ll have to go to the Kodi forum to make Kodi suggestions.

Isn’t OSMC an offshoot of Kodi for Raspberry Pi?

Info about OSMC

“OSMC is the leading media center in terms of feature set and community and is based on the Kodi project.”
I’m sorry but I’m confused now. Doesn’t the link say the same thing I did?

Does that mean that text for non-latin subtitles shows up correctly :smiley:

For me arial.tft works well with cyrlic(windows) character set,though adding cyrlic fonts and trying to use them were showing empty-squares, I guess arial should work for you too? As far as you change the encoding(or whatever is that called) you shouldn’t have problems.