Not booting after December update

Mine looks to be the same as grey’s, the 16GB

That’s good news. I’m curious to see what magic Transcend have used in their cards.

2 Likes

I had the same symptoms and tried to use the provided mmc-overlay.
Everything is fine now, thanks a lot!
Keep up the awesome work :smiley:

P.S.
I have a Transcend premium 32Gb card.

@I_m_fury @pmithrandir:

Can you both confirm whether or not the dtoverlay fix worked for your cards ?

Also a full model number would be helpful - this is the long string of letters and numbers on the back. (You might need a magnifying glass to read it or take a photo of it to blow up!)

Looks like everybody is using those Transcend Premium ones :grin:

Yes, here is the summary of what I’ve gathered from the thread so far:

• Mandragore: Transcend TS16GUSDHC10E (Amazon.fr) - fixed by mmc
  • grey: 16Gb Transcend Premium 300x (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/907914-REG/Transcend_ts16gusdu1_16GB_Micro_SDHC_UHS_1_Card.html) - fixed by mmc
  • I_m_fury: “Samsung SD card” - unknown if mmc helps
  • pmithrandir: “goodram 32GB” - unknown if mmc helps
  • Fling: “Transcend Premium 16GB MicroSDHC Premium 300X (Class 10) purchased 17-07-2015.” - fixed by mmc
  • Peter_Bergman: “Transcend 32GB microsd premium 300x. I purchased the SD-card 2015-12-26” - fixed by mmc
  • zatarra77: 8Gb Lexar C10 - not fixed by mmc

So, what brand of sdcard that works with the new drivers you suggest?

Fix worked for me on Lexar 16gb

no, not only Trascend as I understand (trascend is perhaps only a very common vendor).
I see messages from many people using cards from different manufacturers (samsun, lexar. trascend… perhaps kingston)

I’ve been through this whole thread and don’t see any mentions of issues with Kingston at all, so I don’t know where you’re seeing that.

And the only mention of Samsung has not yet been confirmed to be the same issue, nor confirmed to be fixed by reverting to the mmc driver, and one mention of Lexar being fixed by using mmc was posted one minute before your post.

Transcend is not a particularly common SD card brand so as far as I can see the vast majority of people having this issue do in fact have a transcend card, which is out of proportion to the number of transcend cards out there in use.

Keep in mind that some chip manufacturers OEM their chips to other manufacturers as well - so it could well be that the Lexar card uses a chipset also used by or made by transcend.

It did fix the issue. The exact model is SAMSUNG m27te512hmhp-000l2. I also tried with a Duracell Pro 64GB. It worked without the driver change to mmc

1 Like

I restored my backup and tried to apply this workaround BEFORE launching the update and it worked.
Lexar Card

you see the guy here? SAMSUNG m27te512hmhp-000l2 :grinning:
It’s not easy this time to say “your card is crap, it’s your fault” :grinning:
p.s.: it could be true that the same chip is shared on many cards (is it a trascend chip, or samsung chip or lexar chip? Do we know it?).

I fail to see what the point of your posts are ? You have made multiple unfounded claims before any confirmations were posted and have made ridiculous comments like this:

It genuinely seems that you are trying to troll and are not doing anything to help the situation. We know what the issue is now, know that a small percentage of people using mostly transcend cards are affected and we have provided users a workaround until a more permanent solution is found.

So please refrain from the hyperbole.

you’re misunderstanding me and accusing me of trolling.
People using a couple of different cards (samsung, lexar and trascend) are facing the same issue.
Do this card share the same chip?
It’s possible.
Who made this chip? Trascend? Do we know it for sure?
Is this a statement that we can believe? I don’t believe so. I believe you are trolling,

No you sir are trolling. I’m part of the team that is working to analyse and solve this issue while you sit and complain about it and make up facts and figures.

Have a nice day.

I don’t really mind who you are. I came here because my device was not booting, and not to waste my time with you.
I made a wrong assumption that all devices were affected, but 3 different devices are affected.
Is the chip made by XXX the issue, or is a specific technology coming along with these cards?
I don’t know… are you a kernel driver hacker? I am a devops engineer, and I don’t have these specific knowledge.

@Massimiliano_Adamo

I have explained that while SDHost is a work in progress, the current impact of the transition to this driver is limited and extremely limited to a subset of cards. Further to this, we have provided a workaround which seems to be working and staying with this workaround will persist across OSMC updates.

Earlier today, you made the assumption that no devices were booting post update, and now you are quick to denounce this as a widespread issue. I assure you it is not.

Nonetheless, we take these issues seriously, and we are currently building kernels that remove the external download step of the mmc overlay to make this an easier process, should users experience this issue.

If you wish to do so, my offer for returning an SD card to us still stands, and it will certainly help the Raspberry Pi foundation work out what the issue is.

Best

Sam

1 Like

I completely agree … and I especially agree the fact that I made a wrong assumption… maybe I was fooled by the fact the this thread had a lot of messages :relieved:
And I never said that you, team. didn’t take care of the issue. You fixed it, it was not your fault (we understand that you cannot test it over dozens of cards), and you can’t work over night, as we can quite understand that you’re not google or facebook :smile:
I am happy with you so far.

I don’t like your attitude. Ain’t no one got time for your crap here.

If you continue to insult devs and spread FUD you will be banned. Consider that your only warning.

1 Like