OSMC Alpha 1 is here!

Originally published at: http://osmc.tv/2014/12/osmc-alpha-1-is-here/
Hi everyone, After several months of hard work, I’m happy to announce the first alpha build of OSMC. This build is an early test of our build infrastructure and to make sure that everything we’ve implemented so far works as it should. This build ships with a release candidate build of Kodi and should feel…

1 Like

You mentioned “Getting more applications in our app store!” but didn’t specify where we can find the app API documentation :wink:

1 Like

That’s a good question!

As it stands, we haven’t got anything solidly defined. I’m going to allow a mixture of both platform and architecture specific addons as well as generic. So you’ll be free to use any language you like (be it C++ or Python) provided you adhere to GPLv2 or another copyleft license (acceptable licenses TBC)

An app is actually a Debian package with the suffix -app-osmc and prefixed by the platform if it has one. For example, you can install the TVHeadend ‘app’ with:

sudo apt-get install rbp-tvheadend-app-osmc

Once we’ve made some progress on our UI and settings addon, these ‘apps’ will be browsable and installable via the Kodi interface using your remote.

In 2015 I’ll be working on a framework that lets you easily create cross-platform applications for all devices, but that’s a little off for now. It’ll be based on Python and show you:

• How to create an application
  • How to package it for OSMC
  • How to submit it to the app store
  • How to keep it maintained and up to date

What did you want to develop?

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Thanks for the info.
No specific app planned but definitely want to contribute something useful :slight_smile:

Feel free to fork OSMC on GitHub and have a look around!

On Ubuntu 14.04 64bit GUI OSMC Installer does not accept password. I had to start app in terminal using “sudo osmcinstaller”. After setting wifi, installation and putting SD 4GB card to Raspberry B, XBMC started, but unfortunatelly did not recognize my wifi dongle D-Link DWA-140. When tried unplug it, xbmc freezes.

Please read the release notes indicated in the original post. WiFi is not yet supported as we do not parse the preseeding data yet. The freezing could be caused by issues with your power supply.

Unfortunately, for now, I can only recommend people try OSMC If they are using a wired network connection with a dynamic (DHCP) IP address

Thanks

Sam

sorry, I overlooked it.

Downloaded the linux version and installed in 2 RPI B.
Did not work while trying to set static IPs, but both seem to be working OK after allowing my router to assign DHCP addresses.

Installed TVAddons’ Wizard and works OK. Will continue reporting.

Static IP configuration comes under preseeding which we haven’t added support for yet.

Hello i configure nfs mounts on fstab but after reboot they are not come up there are some trick ?

Thank U

Hi,

Can you:

• Upload your /etc/fstab
  • Post the output of running sudo mount -av. Does running this command mount your shares?

Thanks

Sam

Hello my fstab is

osmc@osmc:~$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot    vfat     defaults,noatime    0   0
/dev/sda1  /    ext4      defaults,noatime    0   0
10.10.10.10:/export/Filmes           /media/Filmes     nfs     rsize=8192,udp,cto,noatime,intr,nfsvers=3 0 0
10.10.10.10:/export/Fotos            /media/Fotos      nfs     rsize=8192,udp,cto,noatime,intr,nfsvers=3 0 0
10.10.10.10:/export/Series           /media/Series     nfs     rsize=8192,udp,cto,noatime,intr,nfsvers=3 0 0
10.10.10.10:/export/Musicas          /media/Musicas    nfs     rsize=8192,udp,cto,noatime,intr,nfsvers=3 0 0
osmc@osmc:~$

the output of mount -av is

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo mount -av
/boot                    : already mounted
/                        : ignored
/media/Filmes            : already mounted
mount.nfs: timeout set for Sun Dec 21 22:38:21 2014
mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'rsize=8192,udp,cto,intr,nfsvers=3,addr=10.                                                                             10.10.10'
mount.nfs: prog 100003, trying vers=3, prot=17
mount.nfs: trying 10.10.10.10 prog 100003 vers 3 prot UDP port 2049
mount.nfs: prog 100005, trying vers=3, prot=17
mount.nfs: trying 10.10.10.10 prog 100005 vers 3 prot UDP port 56833
/media/Fotos             : successfully mounted
mount.nfs: timeout set for Sun Dec 21 22:38:22 2014
mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'rsize=8192,udp,cto,intr,nfsvers=3,addr=10.                                                                             10.10.10'
/media/Series            : successfully mounted
mount.nfs: timeout set for Sun Dec 21 22:38:22 2014
/media/Musicas           : successfully mounted
osmc@osmc:~$

and all is fine
thanks

Which means that those of us using shared libraries might be less willing to put Alpha 1 to the test in a real-world environment.

The pre-release version of OSMC with XBMC 13.2 was working great for me and integrated nicely with the rest of my XBMC installations (Mac, Raspbmc and Crystalbuntu).

Integrating Alpha 1 in to that environment probably means upgrading everything else to a release candidate of Kodi. Not sure I want to do that. Still thinking on it.

Will Vero ship with XBMC 13.2 or with Kodi 14.x?

Are you saying you’re not having any issues now?

Vero will ship with Helix (Kodi 14.0). I can understand why you may want to avoid any Alpha testing for now. Just to clarify, OSMC will only ship with 14.x builds

Sam

OK. So when Vero arrives my ATV1 will be out of the shared library loop. Perhaps it becomes a UPnP client instead.

You could just upgrade your Apple TV to Kodi 14.0?

Hi Sam, just installed OSMC. It looks really nice but… my System doesn’t read my nas folder. Nfs privileges are ok, for the Raspberry IP.
What can I do? Thank you.

You’ll need to provide a bit more information than that. I’m not sure how you’ve mounted your NAS (via fstab or in Kodi).

Sam