OSMC and Hyperion

Here! I’m a User with a current (partly) working Philips Hue Setup on a Vero4k+, running the latest OSMC Update (2019.06-1). But I don’t remember exactly which Hyperion Repo I’ve used (installed it ~April) … I think it was the outdated SJunkies, so GitHub - SJunkies/hyperion.ng: PRE ALPHA - The reworked version (next generation) of Hyperion … But with this older one, you still have some hickups/freezes while watching a Movie, as known before… But still better than no working version at all :slight_smile:
How can I see which Fork I’m using? I have NO preview Picture (black) in the webGUI. But my Philips Hue lights are responding to the Menu/Movies :slight_smile:
As I remember Anthrax Instructions were using the SJunkies build… And yes, SJunkies announced in a german Forum, that he will update his Repo soon completly <3

hmmm well this sucks. Between this not working anymore and the other issues I am having, The vero is really starting to lose me. Might just use Kodi on my xbox. Thank you for your help @hissingshark

Hey everybody,

Before the june patch I had a pretty nice working hyperion.ng setup consisting of 3 hyperion instances.
The first one was using the amlgrabber and driving the 160LEDs behind my TV. This main instance forwarded the image stream to two hyperion instances: one for old hue lamps and another driving 7 Hue Entertainment compatible lamps. It was an amazing setup!
These instances were all running a self compiled version of hyperion.ng from the SJunkies repo (entertainment-api branch).

The only little hitch was the occasional freeze which could be fixed by backskipping a few seconds.

Now after the amazing guys over @hyperion finally fixed the amlgrabber I was able to build the latest master from source using @hissingshark’s installer and now all the freezing/stuttering is gone on the 160LEDs! Very nice!!!

Sadly the main hyperion repo doesn’t have the the hue entertainment integrated yet and SJunkies seems to be working on having his changes merged into the master repo. I also tried to forward the image information from the main repo instance to a second instance running on SJunkies code but they were not compatible anymore (SJunkies version can’t read the new flatbuffer messages, I think)…

So for now I only have Ambilight (rock solid) on the TV and just wait it out.

Some findings:

At first I tried to use the prebuilt binaries from @hissingshark installer but this didn’t work. Then I tried to build from sources but with the cherry picked commit from the installer it just didn’t work for me… After some fiddling and scrolling through the installer script I found that could just tell the installer to use the latest head version by typing:

osmc:~# ./install.sh master

After trying some HD content I was more than happy until I tried some 4K stuff :frowning:
But this was quickly fixed by applying @lancelot’s fix frome here:

@hissingshark: could you please add the platform.sh script to your installer and have the systemd unit changed to this:

[Unit]
Description=Hyperion ambient light systemd service  for user osmc
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c "exec sh /home/osmc/.hyperion/config/platform.sh start"
ExecStart=/usr/bin/hyperiond
ExecStopPost=/bin/sh -c "exec sh /home/osmc/.hyperion/config/platform.sh stop"
WorkingDirectory=/usr/share/hyperion/bin
User=osmc
TimeoutStopSec=5
KillMode=mixed
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=2

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Now we just need to wait for the hue fixes and this will be AWESOME again!

[Update] I forgot to mention that I’m on OSMC stretch-devel main

best regards
Anthrax

Thank you for answering the call!

I don’t think a black preview matters if you’ve got the lights responding as it’s only really there for testing purposes. Lets have a look at:
hyperiond --version
and see if it coughs up the commit for us.

Welcome back!

I’d be interested to know what wasn’t working for you with the prebuilt? I selected that commit as the latest safe/working one. And could you try hyperiond --version as well please, just to clarify where master was up to at the time of your build. If it’s a good one it’ll be worth rolling the installer forward.

With respect to the 4K issues, I don’t have any material to test on, so I was leaving that down to the individual. My main concern is breakage. A few of you have reported using it now. Has there been any regression in other areas using the fix? If not I’d be interested in adding that, by all means.

Many thanks,

Hi @hissingshark,

it just was constantly crashing but I think this might have been due to the forwarder and flatbuffer issues…
I’m on this version now - and it’s completely stable now (I have the forwarder disabled though):

hyperiond --version
Hyperion Ambilight Deamon (22897)
        Version   : Beta.1.0.0 (master (GitHub-5b275c42/3e55aa48-1562253672) Git Remote: https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion.ng.git)
        Build Time: Jul  5 2019 12:36:03

About the 4K fix, well it’s working beautifully with @lancelot’s script and abolut rubbish without it :wink:
So I guess it would be really nice to have it in the installer - maybe make it optional?

cheers
Anthrax

Ah. I’m on Version 2.0.0 (entertainment-api (SJunkies-f5388a02/d78da907-1543243000), built Apr 27 2019 16:23:21 … So pretty damn old, but as I said, it’s working for me at least, (aswell 4K-Movies!), only the small freezes are a bit annoying. But I can live with that.
I would try your/Anthrax’ instructions for the newest version, but I’m afraid to destroy everything and can’t get it running back, I’m too noobish in these things, lol … so I’ll wait for SJunkies official update ^.^
I just wanted to answer the call for a user with a (working) Philips Hue Setup here.
But keep up your fantastic work on this amazing topic!

Did you update your Vero to anything newer than April (?) yet? Are you on OSMC stable or devel/nightlies?

If you’re just driving LEDs from a single instance the stuff I described above shouldn’t break anything for you. But I would wait it out until hyperion.ng gets officially released (chances are good it will finally happen this year :wink: ). Ok, scratch that, if I wouldn’t be so trigger happy with updates my nerves would be better off sometimes…

good night
Anthrax

Hahaha, I know this! But in some cases I’m praying the “never touch a running system”-rule, like here :smiley:
I’m on latest stable June Update (2019.06-1), and yes only a single instance. But as I said, I’m going to wait for a “proper” release.

gn8 :slight_smile:

@Brakiss
Download my installer again.
Run it with: sudo ./install hue

Select:

1. Hyperion.ng
  2. Build from source

At the build options select:

1. ENABLE_AMLOGIC
  2. ENABLE_FB

This will build the most up-to-date version of the old “api-entertainment” fork that @Vero4kFTW is using. If they’re limping along on it until the new version arrives (SJunkies is demonstrably working on it even today), then hopefully you’ll be able to as well.

1 Like

Thank you both, I will try that this evening and report back.

@Brakiss Did it work?

My apologies I haven’t had time to get to it. Hopefully this afternoon and I will report back. Thank you!

What a lovely coincidence. I’ve just picked up some hue stuff and am keen to get it working with my Vero4+. The instructions you’ve provided are excellent as this is exactly what my setup demands.

I’ll give them a try and report back!

Okay! This is mostly working, I think. I followed the build instructions, configured philipshueentertainment and changed the capturer to amlogic. It works really well for non-4k stuff, but 4k stuff has weird behaviour.

I’ve dug around this thread a bit but has anyone got that part working?

Otherwise absolutely fantastic work!

EDIT: Scratch that, I followed the advice in this post and got that sorted: OSMC and Hyperion - #539 by lancelot

Ah, THAT glitch. Yes, adding that to the installer is on my to-do list. This reinforces the idea!

Delighted you’re getting a good result there. Even mostly ok would have been a win under the circumstances. Hopefully the official support will be in later this year.

@hissingshark Yes it looks like it worked, although my vero is currently useless so need to figure that out. it is changing on menu, IDK about playback yet.

@hissingshark Ok so I did a fresh install on June to see if that would fix my problems, unit is working better, just did Hyperion install via your instructions and It kinda works, is very slow to respond, and doesnt work on 4K, also, had to manually input my settings. Wouldnt keep my settings after I ran the Hue setup.

here is the log.

https://paste.osmc.tv/heyabuniru

Thank you for all your help.

That all sounds very promising for now then.

For the 4K issues have you tried
this advice
from above?

@hissingshark sorry bud, not following. It’s doesn’t seem promising as it was working before really well and now whatever changes have happened in osmc since 18.2 have hurt it. Am I missing something.

At this point I am not going to use it as the delay is frustrating and distracting. I will try the 4k and see if it does anything. The not holding settings is really odd.