OSMC and Hyperion

I’ve put my config on the same webserver. Maybe have a look and compare it with yours. This one works.

Sorry nrosier, I didn’t found the file on your server.

Besides of that, I made it work (ng) and it’s stable for the moment. The only way that makes ng not crash it’s run hyperiond with the verbose option -v. I don’t understand the cause, but it’s ok while it runs :slight_smile:

As I’d been planning my migration from Rpi3 to Vero4k I’ve been following this and related threads on github for a while. Good work everyone!
I’ve successfully compiled both hyperion “classic” and ng.

Ng looks very promising, but is feature incomplete at this early stage. The grabber is working at least.

On classic the only issue is that the grabber only seems to react to the skin menus and any OSD. Nothing else on file playback seems to be detected.

Has anyone got the grabber fully working on classic? I configured with amlogic and framebuffer for both versions. Anything I missed?

I’m afraid not, i’ve never make the classic version grab video playback. The ng on the other hand works almost 95% of time (sometimes the daemon needs to be restarted manually), but must be run with -v option. Once you make it work you also cannot make any further configurations via webserver (at least I cannot do that).

Give ng a try, if need more info on config files or daemon configuration or whatever we’ll stay by here!

Good luck!

Ah well! It’s a work in progress after all. The lack of GPIO when moving to the Vero4k inspired me to get an Arduino Uno R3 as a USB driver (thanks @nrosier), so I learned a few things along the way there too, which is a bonus. In particular I customised the sketch to operate a relay for the LED PSU on command from the Vero.

I’ll stick with ng for now then as it has most function.
Shame the android app is out due the interface change. Will be glad to see that back. For now I’m improvising with scripts and hyperion-remote.

Just need to get my gamma levels up and calibrate the pink out of my whites. I made some manual changes to the config file but it doesn’t seem to be having any affect, even with a restart of the server. I note the calibration is more complicated now, with individual settings for black, white, yellow etc, so I may be doing something wrong. The web GUI is very nice, but doesn’t seem to work for these settings yet? The calibration mode sends a screen of the required colour to the TV, but the changes I make in the interface don’t affect the LEDS.

Double check what config file does the daemon take, systemd script has /etc/hyperion/hyperion.config.json as default, while hyperiond takes whatever you type as argument. I’ve had that mistake myself, so did a soft link in order to unificate config files

I’ve checked as you suggested but I seemed to have been editing the correct file. Will try again.

In the meantime, it looks like the all new ng compatible android app is available as an alpha!!

Already it’s a big help.

Wow! Amazing :smile:

Hi y’all,

just received my Vero 4k and tried to build hyperion.ng. Thanks to your input, I’ve succeeding in building, installing and running it, albeit only picking up kodi menu signals But then, after rebooting and seeing only the sad face, I had to de-install mesa packages to make OSMC run again.

How did you guys manage in the end to get it to run, with video grabbing and without mesa/qt5 packages from debian?

I read something in this thread about a server with builds, but couldn’t find the link to said server.

Also, with hyperion.ng in pre-alpha, will we have to to this build-it-yourself dance everytime, or could osmc offer hyperion.ng in the osmc store?

Remove mesa as stated in this thread

sudo apt-get remove --purge libegl1-mesa

Then reinstall qt5 libs as posted by nrosier on Mar 30 (post #48):

sudo apt-get install libqt5concurrent5 libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5gui5 libqt5network5 libqt5printsupport5 libqt5serialport5 libqt5sql5 libqt5test5 libqt5widgets5 libqt5xml5 qt5-qmake

Should do without qt5-make but include it just in case.

Also in case that it refuses to run, try the -v option when invoke the command (or configure the daemon). That solved all my headaches

1 Like

When App Store is revamped, and Hyperion.ng is in better shape, I’d be happy to add it to the App Store to save people a lot of hassle.

1 Like

thank you, will try

This command still wants to install libmesa:

The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libegl1-mesa libqt5gui5 libqt5printsupport5 libqt5widgets5

Hi I was having a read today trying to work out if this is working properly or not? It sounds like it’s almost there but not fully? So my plan is to buy this AmbiPi.tv Kit – hackerspaceshop and set it up on my pi with a HDMI splitter with a HDMI to av and then an av video grabber like you would if you wanted it to work on a console then a hdmi switch with an ir recover so I can have the Vero in one then my Xbox in the other. Dose anyone have any input for me or see any issues with this plan ? Thanks for all your hard work btw guys nice 1

@LaFigaTaTia was corect, I was able to start hyperiond with the packages installed and osmc is also happy after reboot.

I run cmake with
-- PLATFORM is not defined, evaluated platform: rpi -- PLATFORM: rpi -- ENABLE_AMLOGIC = 1 -- ENABLE_DISPMANX = 0 -- ENABLE_FB = ON -- ENABLE_OSX = OFF -- ENABLE_SPIDEV = ON -- ENABLE_TINKERFORGE = ON -- ENABLE_V4L2 = ON -- ENABLE_WS281XPWM = ON -- ENABLE_USB_HID = ON -- ENABLE_X11 = OFF -- ENABLE_TESTS = OFF -- ENABLE_PROFILER = OFF
Note: There us no change if I define PLATFORM: amlogic or PLATFORM: amlogic64 to what happens.

Now when I want to run hyperion with

sudo hyperiond -v

hyperiond crashes as soon as a video file starts playing.

It seems that it’s taking RPi as platform, so the crashes are normal. Use ON/OFF instead of 1/0, try these parameters at cmake:

cmake -DPLATFORM=amlogic64 -DENABLE_AMLOGIC=ON -DENABLE_DISPMANX=OFF -DENABLE_FB=ON -DENABLE_OSX=OFF -DENABLE_SPIDEV=OFF -DENABLE_TINKERFORGE=OFF -DENABLE_V4L2=ON -DENABLE_WS281XPWM=OFF -DENABLE_X11=OFF -DENABLE_TESTS=ON -DENABLE_PROFILER=OFF -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..

I’ve compiled with V4L2 ON just in case in a near future I’ll use a DVB device. If you don’t plan to use one it’s ok to leave it OFF. Also -DENABLE_TESTS=ON produce some testing commands that I had used to find the issues in order to make it run, so leave ON or OFF as you want.

Best of luck

These are the parameters as cmake printed them out. I will double check the command again to see if I used 1/0 instead of ON/OFF

As I mentioned, the result of crashing hyperiond -v also occurs when defining amlogic64 as target platform.

I will do try with DENABLE_TESTS=ON. Does the hyperion github define which tests can be run? I suspect the crash relates to amlogic, since the crash occurs when kodi starts playing a video.

No idea, I deducted all the parameters by reading what cmake printed out.

I’m thinking that DPLATFORM=amlogic64 is ignored if parameter DENABLE_AMLOGIC is not set in ON. The cmake exit that you pasted indicates that is set in 1 instead of ON.

If you want to save some time, just paste what i wrote two posts ago and check if it runs. You can tune up to your needs starting from it.

Best of luck

About test commands… I’m afraid not, but their names are self-explanatory

Thanks for your assistance so far.
I ran cmake with
cmake -DPLATFORM=amlogic64 -DENABLE_AMLOGIC=ON -DENABLE_DISPMANX=OFF -DENABLE_FB=ON -DENABLE_OSX=OFF -DENABLE_SPIDEV=OFF -DENABLE_TINKERFORGE=OFF -DENABLE_V4L2=ON -DENABLE_WS281XPWM=OFF -DENABLE_X11=OFF -DENABLE_TESTS=ON -DENABLE_PROFILER=OFF -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..

and with
cmake -DPLATFORM=amlogic64 -DENABLE_AMLOGIC=OFF -DENABLE_DISPMANX=OFF -DENABLE_FB=ON -DENABLE_OSX=OFF -DENABLE_SPIDEV=OFF -DENABLE_TINKERFORGE=OFF -DENABLE_V4L2=ON -DENABLE_WS281XPWM=OFF -DENABLE_X11=OFF -DENABLE_TESTS=ON -DENABLE_PROFILER=OFF -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..

The difference is in -DENABLE_AMLOGIC=OFF . With OFF there is no crash, but also no video grab at all. As soon as I build with ON, there is grabbing of the menus in kodi and crash when a video starts playing. hyperion creates no log and the debug flag -d does not hint at the error, but dmesg has something:
http://paste.osmc.io/imoxigubag.vhdl
Loading kernel module for a network device with CAP_SYS_MODULE (deprecated). Use CAP_NET_ADMIN and alias netdev- instead.
hyperiond[3657]: unhandled level 2 translation fault (11) at 0xd2c9c5c4, esr 0x92000006
0 PID: 3657 Comm: hyperiond Tainted: G O 3.14.29-34-osmc #1