OSMC failed updates since 2017.03-1

I would appreciate if someone can help.

Whenever system try to update after version 2017.03-1 I get a prompt saying that update failed and to report it on OSMC forum. When I go to run on my add-on program “My OSMC” and try to update manually I get add-on error with the prompt to upload log. Upload log also fails and it is instead copied on my card.

Thanks

Sounds like a connectivity problem.
Can you connect via command line?
Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

Then run
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

if that fails let us know what it reports and then also try to upload logs with grab-logs -A (should give you a URL). If even that fails we look further.

Thank you for fast reply.

It seemed to work but it is very slow. Now i got stuck at 42% in last 20 minutes without moving (Unpacking Webmin 1.850 over 1.831). Should I restart and try again or wait?

Edit: Sorry for my impatience It started moving again now at 55%.

No I suggest you wait. But if unpacking (and not downloading) is so slow than I think you have an issue on your system

You might have a lot of packages or a slow SD card

:slight_smile:

OK. It finished (at one point I had to restart because it froze) I am now at 2017-06-1. It was very slow but successful.

Another question I have (I apologize if this is not the proper thread to ask) but last month or so every now and then system would freeze and I have to restart. I checked my SD card space and it reads:

Filesystem

/DEV/MMVBLK0P2 used 5.4G available 1.3G Use % 82%
/DEV/MMVBLK0P1 used 41M available 199M Use % 17%

Should I get a bigger SD card? After all I have more than 18,000 TV episodes and 3,000 movies.

Thank you so much for your help. I am always amazed how you guys are so helpful, knowledgeable and fast to help. Kudos to all of you.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Dpkg-split error while updating

Hi,

Freezes could be a sign of issues with your current SD and as you’ve pointed out your running low on space; so I would recommend replacing. Whats the size is the current SD card? I only asked as I believe the max recommend size is 32gb.

Thanks Tom.

Recommended by who, Tom? Is this a technical limitation or just ‘you won’t want to keep more than that on a device which can die suddenly’?

Hi,

This appears to the technical recommendation, over at Raspberry Stack.

Although there are reports of success over 32gb, I just think its a bit of hit & miss beyond the limit.

Thanks Tom.

Thanks for the heads-up. I’ve been soaking up info on SD cards this week to see if the installer needs tweaking.

1 Like

Got the same problem.
On the other hand, updating from the ssh console works like a charm.

ssh update not so successful in my version of this problem. no updates since march get following message in console when i try to update.

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-updates/non-free/binary-armhf/Packages Something wicked happened resolving ‘ftp.debian.org:http’ (-5 - No address associated with hostname)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Well first view indicates a DNS issue. But for better troubleshooting I suggest to upload full logs with grab-logs -A

https://paste.osmc.tv/ixaminafuw

I guess it could be a problem with my VPN configuration maybe.

Looking at your log file I just wanted to say that. Suggest to just shutdown openvpn for the time of the update.