OSMC Freezing Missing Banners Thumbnails unresponsive UI current + Krypton versions RPi1 2 3

Yes, krypton build fails the same way. Difficult to remember whether it was harder as the time it takes for these issues to show up does vary somewhat. However it did exhibit the same issues. Freezing, thumbnails/banners/no sound when the issue occurs etc.

Cheers
Spart

Is Pi1 the easiest device to provoke it on, or does it not make much difference?

I don’t have a pi2 any more to test on as we re-used it for a marine project, but it behaved similarly. I have a Pi3 running latest Krypton nightlies and that is working just fine.

We do have 5 Pi1’s though, this test one and 4 that I have put back to the working build and disabled updating until we have a stable new build.

Cheers
Spart

Can you confirm if Pi3 also works well with official Jarvis OSMC build?

It will be tomorrow before I can do that.

Cheers
Spart

This build is working so far!

Will keep testing and update.

Cheers
Spart

And this occurs with a clean install and default settings?
Are you using the OSMC skin? Playing videos from TV library (rather than files menu)?

I’d like to set up a script to automate this and ideally crash in a short amount of time (minutes would be ideal).
My previous attempt ran happily for days (playing a short audio file on repeat with key presses to scroll around movies library).
I imagine that the failure occurs on start/stop or video or decoding the artwork, so you probably don’t have to watch the video - I’d imagine playing the video for a couple of seconds and stopping will catch the hang faster (but I’m speculating here).

it does not seem to work that way. It fails after a seemingly random amount of time. The build started off clean new install of the known good build, then it has had mediacenter deb replaced many times during this testing. If I replace mediacenter deb with the one from earlier in this thread all is well.

Having said that the build below that I am currently testing seems to work fine and does not cause the issues.[quote=“sparticle, post:106, topic:16828”]
If the second bisected build does not yield anything useful, then let’s try this build without vsync:wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/raniuq94f9980hl/rbp1-novsync.deb?dl=1 -O mediacenter.debsudo dpkg -i mediacenter.debrm mediacenter.deb
[/quote]

Cheers
Spart

When you are happy the build is working well, please try the following build and confirm whether this is good or bad.

wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9j45q7w82hnfim/bisect3.deb?dl=1 -O mediacenter.deb
sudo dpkg -i mediacenter.deb
rm mediacenter.deb

Again, thanks for your continued testing.

Ill leave this one playing through a playlist until the morning. Just checked again and it is fine. No symptoms at all.

Cheers
Spart

This build worked fine and exhibited none of the issues.

Trying the next one now.

Cheers
Spart

This build also worked fine and exhibited none of the issues.

Cheers
Spart

Thanks. There will be one final build to complete the bisection, (which is expected to be another good one).

Assuming that behaves as expected, we’ll go with the something like the “nosync” build for the next stable build, at least for Pi1. Would be useful to know if you see the problem with Pi3 on latest stable Jarvis build.

Ok I’ll look out for it.

Apologies I didn’t have time to re flash the Pi3 yet.

Cheers
Spart

Final bisect

wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/surqlnb27cyji7s/bisect4.deb?dl=1 -O mediacenter.deb
sudo dpkg -i mediacenter.deb
rm mediacenter.deb

I was trying out OSMC on my rpi pie 2 yesterday and I ran into this exact issue.

The easiest way to replicate it for me is to play a music album, it usually freezes up before the end of it.
My media is shared via nfs on a computer inside my lan. Ive also tried mounting the NFS folder directly, but it made no difference.

I would love to try out the bisects but they are for the rpi1. Are there any available for the pi2? Or should I just be patient? As a work around i’m currently using openelec but OSMC is far better imho.

This build is testing now.

Cheers
Spart

This one appears to work as well. I will leave it testing overnight.

Cheers
Spart

This build also works fine and exhibits none of the issues.

Cheers
Spart

Many thanks sparticle - your testing has been very helpful.
Based on your reports the next stable update will be based on the “novsync” build.

I’d still be interested in the results of the May Jarvis release on Pi3 - it’s not clear if that will be good or bad and that would be useful to know.