OSMC Initial Release for ATV1, Installation Help Thread

[quote=“cschmaltz, post:117, topic:10029”]

32GB KingSpec 2.5-inch PATA/IDE SSD Solid State Disk (MLC Flash) SM2236 Controller

32GB SSD Solid State Disk 2.5-inch PATA/IDE standard Read speed up to 105MB/sec Write speed up to 31MB/sec 44-pin IDE interface

$39.93
[/quote]There are cheaper options by using an adapter and a $10 16GB mSATA SSD in the following thread.
The bonus is the mSATA SSD can be reused in newer hardware media players if the ATV1 ever dies.

I tested a verbatim 8gb thumb drive and works.
Of course it’s a little sluggish.
Don’t know the model but it’ s very thin.

Hi,
I am the lucky owner of a ATV with an osmc harddisk install. 1080 movies runs smoothly (for example the scene in the beginning of interstellar with the corn field ) . I attached the internal ATVs HD to the IDE on the motherboard of my desktop pc. I installed the HDD image using the osmc installer to a working usb stick and after that copied the image to the ATV internal disk using dd. I put the HD back in the ATV and install went fine. This did not work with the USB image.
I am very pleased with the result. Very nice work Sam!

Hi @oyvfos. Wouldn’t installing directly tot the HD via the IDE of your motherboard directly work? Is there a need to copy the image from a USB to HD if you can install directly the HDD installer to the Hardisk.

Hi @RenMart, I dont think so. Install directly to HD is not an option in the osmc installer (or did I overlook something ?).

Hi @oyvfos. I was referring to the approach of @mixmax as illustrated above.

Ok @RenMart , I see. I was inspired by this post as well. Only difference is that I did not use an USB adapter, but the IDE connector.

1 Like

I’ve tried two different Sandisk 3.0 drives (Cruzer glide and Ultra), and a PNY 2.0, neither of which worked. All of them get stuck at the end of Installing Files. I’m going to dig tomorrow for an old 8GB drive that I had a USB install of CB1 on.

SanDisk drives are not a good choice unfortunately due to U3 software which is bundled with them which can cause problems.

Mixmax, thank you so much for thinking to do this.

I have just done the install, I did not use the USB at all, I just grabbed the image from the same download page for the OSMC installer.

I have a Windows machine, unzipped the IMG file, used a program called Win32DiskImager, but am sure any image file burner can work. I put the ATV hard disk on an external drive enclosure and sent the image to the drive. BOOM! Plugged the drive back into the ATV and it booted right up after some screens. Then proceeded to hit the manual update and all went thru smoothly.

Am running some more movie tests on this but currently have the “Beast TV” build installed on it and it is sweet!

ATV + OSMC(Sam & developers) + the “Beast TV” = Non-Stop Grinning!

Huge thanks Sam and all involved…

Ah. Makes sense. Any suggestions on brands?
Also, after it got stuck, I had to go into disk management and delete one of the volumes and reformat as exfat. The HP USB formatter didn’t even see it at first.
Now I have 246MB Unallocated that I can’t do anything with. (This is on both the Sandisks and the PNY.)

I´m glad to help, It’s nice to be able to provide a working alternative.

Urgh. Well I tried again today with a Kingston DataTraveler G3, 16GB, 2.0 which previously held a USB install of CB2 that I used whenever I needed component output. Same issue - hangs at the end of Installing Files. I left it alone for over an hour. I think I will just give up and stick to CB2 for now.

Hi guys,
My 2 cents to this conversation.
I had OSMC running on USB and after a month I got message that it can’t update OSMC.
After a few restarts I got the frown face.
I decided to reinstall and I couldn’t get it to install again running the OSMC installer. (stuck on “Installing files”)
I went back to Win32image and the installation went just fine. (USB version)
I will try to install the HD version with Win32image later today.

Thank you for bringing back to life my Apple TV.

Cat

Don’t bother. As has been stated, the HDD install is broken and you usually end up with a read only partition.
Rest assured it’s being worked on.

Thanks for the heads up ! :smiley:

We’d love to get some netcat output from those that run into the system stalling at the end of “installing files”
The cause can be a bunch of things and without netcat there’s no way to see the actual logs since ssh isn’t running at that point.
To use netcat, you need to able to edit the boot configuration on the ext4 partition, have the ATV1 on a wired network connection, and netcat available on another computer

I just wanted to express my thanks to Sam for his super awesome work in offering all ATV1 users a chance to continue to enjoy their aging hardware. I am amazed at how well OSMC is working on the ATV1.
:stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars:
I have a question regarding MPEG2 decoding as I use my ATV1 to view live TV and recordings from my MythTV PVR. I noticed that the ATV1 is dropping many frames on 1080i material, not so much on 720p, and it appears to be using the ff-mpeg2 decoder rather than chd. I toggled deinterlacing on/off which made little to no difference in performance on 1080i material. Also, I noticed that the CPU0 is at a constant 100% on both 720P and 1080i, which could be indicative of the processing required for the software decode of the MPEG2 stream? I am hoping you can comment when you have the time.
I’m happy to use the ATV1 as a streaming device and the PVR functionality is simply an added bonus!

Peace.

The CHD card only decodes H264 in OSMC.

Spinner, thank you for the prompt reply, I had figured the lack of MPEG2 decoding was due to it being removed from KODI. I know there are many threads online regarding MPEG2 decoding on different platforms on KODI. I believe KODI reverted to software acceleration due to specific problems with DVD viewing. It’s very hard to complain about the ATV1, considering that it is almost 9 years old! :open_mouth:
Perhaps I need to consider spending some money on newer hardware that offers superior MPEG2 decoding and deinterlacing support, as my Nexus player performs poorly in this area as well. It’s definitely fun to tinker, as I believe that is how Sam and others like him, are able to breathe new life into old technology.

I hope your home viewing goes back to normal soon, so that you may appreciate merry matrimonial harmony for the holidays!

Peace.

576i/720i/1080i mpeg2 TV broadcasts, can be software decoded and deinterlaced on the ATV1, used it for years now with my compiles of Gotham / Kodi / Crystalbuntu.

Settings in the Video OSD:

Deinterlace video > Auto
Deinterlace Method > Auto select
Video scaling method > Bilinear

Scroll down > Set as default for all videos.

Using - Deinterlace Method > Auto select - actually uses the basic software Bob deinterlacing method.
If you have 1080i h264 TV Broadcasts, just set Deinterlace method > Deinterlace (half)
This setting for 1080i h264 will then be remembered for that particular Channel only.

This will be as good as you can get without running out of CPU processing power.

The best quality deinterlacing I have in my house comes out of an AMLogic S812-H box, that uses Advanced motion adaptive Edge enhancing Hardware deinterlacing. Its excellent, particularily for fast action sports broadcasts :smiley:

So I installed the OSMC onto a USB boots up no problem seems to work well. (havent configured everythign yet…)

The only thing weird is that when I reboot the ATV it doesnt boot into OSMC, instead reboots to defaults ATV os from the HDD, even though the USB is still plugged in.

In order to get back to OSMC I do a hard reboot ( unplug power) and replug the power to get it going.

How would I solve this?

Cheers!