OSMC Initial Release for ATV1, Installation Help Thread

You’re welcome. Some TVs, espescially older TVs have some quirks, and also the ATV is a little quirky, depending on the driver and or/other things. The forcing to RGB limited should be the default in OSMC to ensure correct videolevels and to be sure that it works with all TVs.

Just used the HDD install and it hangs on “Installing Files”.

I took out the USB and booted the ATV1 and it seemed to have installed the OSMC installer on the HDD but still hangs on the “Installing Files” state.

Any progress on people that have tried the HDD install?

1. Not all USB sticks are compatible with the installer. If you get stuck on the “installing files” screen (say for more than 15 minutes), then you need to try a different USB stick. I only had success on my third stick.

2. At present, HDD installs have problems when rebooting. When rebooting, the system will go back to the “installation” screen. The solution I suppose is to avoid rebooting until a fix is released, or to install to USB.

3. The OS X installer only allows you to select “install to SD card” - this doesn’t matter. When you go to the next page, you need to select the specific device to extract the files to. On this page, you will be able to select your USB stick, regardless of the locked-down “install to SD card” setting.

1 Like

Thanks @vanfog. Will try your recommendations and give feedback later on.

The HD install works a treat, but please remember you must leave your USB flash drive in the USB slot until Sam and the team find a solution to a small bug which stops you taking out the flash drive.
I’ve got quite used to the blue OSMC skin with its clean uncluttered look, I’ve tried most of the skins in Kodi but have returned to the OSMC version, it seems to have a calming affect on me.
Well done Sam and team, this looks like the best work off you guys to date, keep up with the good work.

1 Like

2 Likes

I was wondering if there will be an update that can be installed through the autupdate section of “my OSMC” that will address the issue of not taking out the usb drive. I do not presently have the tools that mixmax mentioned. I guess if nothing is coming via the auto updates then I will have to attempt the above mentioned re-installation.

From what I understand of the auto updates, they are simple apt packages and don’t have the functionality of fixing the HDD boot partition problem. (I’m not a dev, just a willing lab test rat)

You don’t need to remove the HDD to do a full manual HDD install. (though it’s not simple by any means)
You can do it with a USB hub and 2 USB sticks.

Depending on if we have any luck today with the HDD installer, I’ll likely do an unofficial tutorial on that method.

2 Likes

Oh so you guys are still looking at the installer as an option. I would much rather wait for that. :smile:

Finally got mine to work using a different USB (Class 10). Thanks @vanfog. Just a question, on creating the USB Install, I chose the HDD version. Once booted, I fail to see the internal HDD mounted. Is that normal? I am quite tempted to do @mixmax way of using an IDE adapter for the internal drive.

RenMart,

I give them a few days or so before taking that option. It is only a little inconvenience to have the USB stick remain in. I appears that a fix is being worked on.

1 Like

Yes, the Sandisk

For those who have a WORKING USB please post your installation details.
Exact stick/card+adapter used, Audio+video configuration, Hub, etc.
This will help others when choosing which hardware to use.

Thanks Everyone !

So the installer is a no go?

Sam is still working on it. :smile:

Unfortunately it’s a small dev team and Sam is the dev working on the ATV installer, besides all his other work.
Rest assured once it’s working we’ll let you know.
One thing for sure, my wife will be happy once it’s working. Our ATV has been repeatedly wiped/installed in the process of testing. hehe

1 Like

That’s good to hear… I may try the other method… But I am still learning about this stuff and making baby steps… Lol
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I may have already asked this, but since there is a “work-around” for the use of the internal HD, as mentioned earlier. How much improvement would be seen from boot time, installing add-ons, cache, loading of video streams etc. ( i forgot to mention about heat and power consumption). with an internal SSD compared to the traditional HDD 4200rpm drive? I already read the BW throughput talk about 33/mb compared to the theoretical 100mb. I figured a cheap SSD from amazon would work. I did get the USB install to work with a Generic micro center 2gb usb 2.0 drive. the SD Cards I had with USB adapter did not work.

any thoughts?

I have that drive installed in three ATV Gen1’s. It boots a little quicker from what I can tell (seconds, not overly noticeable). The main advantage for me is the fan does not turn on or is at least so low its silent, and the device itself is cool to the touch. To me, it has helped keep the device alive and functioning until 4K becomes mainstream.

Managed a functioning USB in the second attempt. 8GB (no idea of the speed) probably USB 2, rather than a 4GB USB2, which stalled at a nice, rose-coloured screen adter installing a bunch of stuff (took ages).

Reaction time of the install on 8GB USB stick is very slow compaired to the KODI 13.1 install on the aTV1 internal harddrive. And KODI freezes every time I try to manipulated the sound via the volume amplification.

It cannot play 1080p like before. Max is MQ, and even that is not so certain.

Crossing my fingers for a hard drive install. Or an SSH install I can understand. That is how I got the 13.1 in there some years ago.

Thanks for all of your work, Sam. You are a very patient and persevering person. Admirable.

I installed to a cheap 8GB Sandisk stick (cruzer blade), worked on first try. Navigating Kodi with OSMC seemed snappier than CB2 upgraded to Isengard. First few attempts at video playback gave some hickups, but after a few start/stops, playback seemed quite nice also. One 1080p .mp4-file gave some more trouble, and needed several attempts before playing fluently.