OSMC Initial Release for ATV1, Installation Help Thread

You can make custom modelines aka “edids” in xorg.conf with the Nvidia binary. No need to load an external edid.bin.

Maybe the first thing to try is to force the hdmi output as rgb limited as some TVs just don’t like RGB full. I think (but I’m not sure) that the driver defaults to rgb full. Since chances are that most people are going to use the ATV towards a HDTV and not computer monitor, this should be the default setting. (meaning default setting of OSMC should be to force rgb limited).

Yup.
Kodi has a setting for limited RGB so I’d try that first. I’m not sure how that setting affects X server but it’s worth a try.

No the setting inside kodi only limits the colorrange, but the output is still full. You need to edit Xorg.conf. (And besides the limited range setting in Kodi is not reliable with the atv gpu and/or nvidia304 driver)

Look here:
Copy the colorrange stuff (you want to use the limited setting, not full)
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Configuring_a_Custom_xorg.conf

1 Like

I decided to try the USB install. It’s gotten as far as the “installing files” section but has been at that screen for 15 minutes with no indication of progress on the bar below. How long should I wait.

Running Windows 10

Has this stick ever worked with Crystalbuntu?

Which image did you pick?

Can you try another USB stick?

Sam

No luck finding it. Im not 21 anymore and I cant remember the what the code was. If I locate it Ill re-post.

I’ve still got the old forum DB. I’ll see if it can be salvaged.

Sam

Keyword search “Nigel” and “Idiot” :joy:

Yes.

I saw 4 choices and couldn’t pick any of them. I thought it always defaulted to USB.

Tried a 2nd USB stick. It worked. Thanks

Not all USB sticks are born equal. I’m glad you’re up and running.

Which USB stick did you have? Was it a SanDisk U3 by any chance?

Sam

Hi @sam_nazarko, I’ve tried 3 USB sticks (last was a Sony) and just tried the new Mac install but after the successful install files screen the ATV reboots, shows the blue OSMC screen and then goes black and the ATV shuts off. Got any ideas? Thanks.

I’ve used three different sticks (and even an USB HDD) to try and install image 2015.10-2, none of them working – getting stuck at the “installing files” screen… the weird thing is that one of the sticks I tried was the one I had used a couple of years ago to install crystalbuntu, so i’m pretty sure that the atv has no problems reading it… :confused:

Same issues here. I used Adata and Trascend USB sticks which all ended up failure. Can those who successfully installed using USB sticks share with us the brands of USB sticks you were using? Thanks a million.

+1 from me too, Sam. I am waiting for the HDD install with bated breath. THANKYOU for all of your efforts!

I am a big fan of Apple products, so I would like to thank Sam for bringing OSMC to Apple TV, I just made a donation. Since there are many discussions about USB-installs I thought I should share my personal experience with this. I have also encountered USB-sticks that did not seem to work, but I have also noticed that a stick that used to work as a boot drive no longer did. After formating the sticks writing zeros to it it usually works again.

I am currently running OSMC on my internal drive and so far it is working very good. To get this up and running I removed the hard drive from the Apple TV, connected it to a USB-IDE adapter and I ran the mac osx installer on it. Then I put the drive back in the Apple TV and powered it up. The OSMC installer did its job and I now have it on the internal drive. I installed some addons and picked a random 1080-movie for streaming and it worked perfectly. I also tried one random locally stored TV-show, and there was no trouble with that. You may want to change the audio settings though (settings/system/audio output). To get all the alternatives available, change to “Expert” at the botton of the menu.

A couple of tips: When the mac osx installer is done it will inform you that the drive is unreadable. Just ignore that, it is normal (mac osx is a different os). I have transfered some TV-shows and movies to the atv. The user-id and password is not the same as it was in Crystalbuntu. I am not sure if I should provide them here in clear text, but I was able to figure it out pretty fast.

7 Likes

Thanks for this Soli. This solved the issue I had with my TV. Much appreciated!

The username and password are both osmc and this is outlined in the Wiki.

Cheers

Sam

It is now possible to install OSMC to a hard disk from the OSMC installer

7 Likes

ATTENTION: A bug has been found that prevents the HDD install from working if the USB is removed.
It is being investigated. Stay tuned for updates.