OSMC Installer Linux - New Release

Hi Linux Users,

I’ve been trying to bring back the Linux OSMC Installer and I’ve tested across various Distros and I’m happy with the results. I’d like to expand the testing pool to pick up any bugs I may have missed. I would appreciate it, if fellow Linux users would please test the below releases:

Update 25/10/2022

New release details and downloads can be found here:

Thanks

Update 19/10/2022

New release, includes Appimage. More details can be found here:

Update 24/06/2022

Display issues reported on resolutions above 1080p. I’ve created a test release for Debian and its derivatives, (can sort out an RPM if there is any interest).

I would appreciate tests on resolutions greater than 1080p (won’t display correctly on 1080p or below), screen shots would be good as well.

Original Release

Debian. This release should work on Buster and Bullseye and current versions of ubuntu and Mint. Also other Debian derivatives.

Redhat. Should work on on 7 & 8 and Centos 7 & 8. Also Rocky and Almalinux. Also other Redhat derivatives and should also work on Suse as well.

Any issues please reply to this post or raise an issue on my Github.

Positive feedback will be greatly received as well.

Thanks Tom.

@Tom_Doyle great work.
Tried on Linux Mint 20.2 to install for Pi3 SD Card worked quite well.
Haven’t tried the NFS install for a long time is that still supported?

1 Like

Hi,

Great!

Not sure about this, I’ll compile a build with this enabled and test.

Thanks Tom.

Edit @fzinken,

Currently having issues putting the latest image on a verk4k, not a plus (Older images working fine). Probably will test on a verok4+ tomorrow. In the mean time I’ve created a beta with nfs enabled, it can be found here. If you wanted to test it.

That’s just for debian, if any one wants try on rpm distro; please let me know and I’ll build a package for that.

Sorry missread your post. Should work on pi3 with the current release. Got a spare one here. Will test tomorrow.

Edit 9/1 - @fzinken, nfs install on pi3 installed ok, but permissions issues resulted in frown face. I suspect this is down to the export on my NAS. I suspect it should work correctly, for anyway one who knows how to correctly set up the nfs share on their server.

Regards Tom.

Do you think this release will work on a minimal install of Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS Bionic?

The server functions mainly as a NAS, but I keep an updated Kodi on it just in case.

If so, when I get some time I can purge the current install and give this a go.

This does not install Kodi on a Linux system. This is for using a Linux system write an OSMC install to an SD card that is intended to run on a raspberry pi or a Vero device.

1 Like

Ah… I misread your post.

1 Like

Hi LInux Users,

I would appreciate it if the AppImage of the OSMC Linux Installer could please be tested, it can be found here:

https://github.com/tomdoyle87/osmc-linux-installer/releases/download/v128.4/osmcinstaller-linux-128.4-x86_64.AppImage

Please issue chmod a+x ./osmcinstaller-linux-128.4-x86_64.AppImage before running the installer. ubuntu22.04 may require libfuse2 to be installed.

Any issues please reply to this post or raise an issue on my Github .

Positive feedback will be greatly received as well.

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Happy to confirm this works well on Mint 21 /Ubuntu 22.04
Many thanks for your efforts.

Hi Richard_Luke_C_Hobda,

Thanks for testing and confirming.

Small update since my last post. @sam_nazarko has made a judgement call (probably of a leap of faith as well :slight_smile: ), and made the AppImage installer officially available on the OSMC download page.

The deb and rpm versions are still available via my github (links above). We’ve had a small internal discussion as to weather the deb & rpm packages should be made available officially in some compacity on the OSMC site/wiki. I’m in 2 minds as to whether the AppImage is sufficient (main factors being the larger download size for the appimage and the pros and cons of containers), So was hoping on some feedback from my fellow Linux users:

• Just the AppImage
  • Or the deb or rpm packages should also be available officially in some compacity.

0 voters

This is not about maintaining the package versions, I plan to make the 3 versions available via my github for the life of the current osmc-installer. Its more about aesthetics, do we need to add more to official site and wiki (and possible add bloat) if less will meet the users needs.

Regards Tom.

The AppImage is fine except for having to set the exec bit. If the objective is to make it easy for users with little Linux knowledge to run the installer then is there some way that manual step can be avoided? Otherwise you just get

This isn’t addressed on the OSMC download page (yet).

Otherwise - it works! :smiley:

Ironically, if I download it under Windows, the exec bits are automatically set when accessed from Linux.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m aware of this, I’ll look in to this. I know when I download most AppImages they have advise setting the exec bit.

edit: Yeah doesn’t look like this can be changed:

Yeah I they end up as 777, which isn’t good from a security point of view.

Thanks Tom.

This isn’t possible for security reasons.

Hi Sam,

I’ve created a wiki entry as discussed, also covers making the AppImage executable. I’ve not listed the post as couple links will currently not work. Its here:

If you are happy with it, please upload the current rpm and deb packages (links in first post) to.
Also will need the version numbering removed to match the appimage download naming scheme.

Also I suggest adding text to the download page below the appimage link:
More info and alternative installers can found here

Thanks Tom.

Just confirmed working fine on Fedora36 … With the file manager, make executable and then double click to run … like a charm :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming

1 Like