OSMC Installer on Fedora 22

As per Broken Osmc-installer RPM packages for Fedora / CentOS, I cannot run the OSMC installer on my Fedora 22 box. It simply comes up with a blank window.

How do I install from the image file? I have a 32Gb flash card and woulrd like to use the whole thing for OSMC. Thanks.

Hi

I read that disabling QT_X11_NO_MITSHM=1 fixes this issue on recent versions of Fedora. If this does indeed fix the issue, it would be good to know as it would benefit other users. I’m not familiar with RPM packaging at all. The OSMC installer works on CentOS but alas Fedora seems problematic. If you check out osmc/installer/host at master · osmc/osmc · GitHub, and can help that will be great.

Sam

An alternative to manually install the Image is just boot Ubuntu from a USB Stick or CD and run the installer there. May take 10 minutes to boot and download installer but it’s the most straightforward solution.
Or if you have Virtualbox installed just do it in a VM

A export QT_X11_NO_MITSHM=1 prior to running the OSMC installer worked wonders. Thanks.

A Google search of the string showed that it’s a problem that plagues KDE. Maybe that’s why CentOS appears fixed, because it runs Gnome out of the box.

Regarding the source code, I’m afraid that writing QT apps is a bit more than I can wrastle right now, but I appreciate the sentiment. As I get more into OSMC I will look at ways I can contribute.

Thanks again!

You can probably fix the shell script – I’ll take a look at this shortly myself. There is no need to re-compile the OSMC installer. Thanks for testing, and reporting back. This will benefit many users in the future I am sure.

I thought Fedora used Gnome as well.

Sam

Yes, sorry, it does use Gnome. KDE is my thing… and I will guess that this issue may be restricted to KDE. Like I say, Google searches show that KDE is the problem child.

Helps to know. I suspect setting this globally won’t cause any regression, so I’ll push it out. Thanks for testing.

Sam

BTW, I looked and could not find the file that generates the osmcinstaller script. Could you tell me which is the source to the script?

Hi,

If you’re curious, this is where I made the change. Would be good if you could test:

Sam

See my followup comment on your commit. I hadn’t actually started the app from the menu… so I tested that, too, and discovered an issue.

Hi

I followed up on that – GitHub should have sent you an email

Sam