OSMC on Apple TV. Better than ever

After initially announcing support for the Apple TV, we're now happy to announce that hard disk installations for the Apple TV are now possible. The delays for this were due to dealing with some intricacies with Apple's journaled HFS+ filesystem under Linux. Finally -- after several months of near constant

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2016/01/hard-disk-installations-now-available-for-apple-tv/
2 Likes

You’re the best!

Very nice! I’m going to try this on my spare Apple TV. What are actually the improvements over CrystalBuntu 2? The last one is rocksolid and does everything flawless for many years :slightly_smiling:

• Better performance
  • Better CrystalHD support (more changes to follow)
  • Kernel 4.x, so supports many new tuners and WiFi adapters as well as other hardware
  • NVIDIA driver improvements
  • Kodi 15, and soon, 16
  • OSMC itself (which is a big improvement over CB2)
  • A lot more – just try it out, and you won’t regret it.

Great news! Many thanks to everybody involved! Is this available as update for people already running osmc? There are changes since the initial atv release, except for fixed hd-install?

All OSMC updates are available via My OSMC. I would recommend anyone who did a manual HDD install to reinstall using our official installers

Sam

Why do you recommend doing a reinstall if you installed manually? I’ve had no problems with the updates, is there a reason? Want to make sure it’s good to go before I ship it off to family 4 hours away.

If you’re very confident you’ve done things correctly, then very well. Otherwise I’m just recommending it so users stay on our stable upgrade path until at least 2017.

I would recommend you at least check fstab is correct.

Cheers

Sam

gr8 news, thanx, sam:-)

i installed by pulling the hdd out:

osmc@osmc:~$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1 /boot hfsplus defaults,noatime 0 0
/dev/sda2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 0

and i’ve done the osmc update:

osmc@osmc:~$ uname -a
Linux osmc 4.2.3-6-osmc #1 Mon Nov 2 17:21:18 UTC 2015 i686 GNU/Linux

but playback is still jerky:-(

Well I was pretty confident until you said that, lol. All I did was DD the hard drive image directly to the HDD (SSD actually) and then plugged it into the ATV. It’s even updated a few times since then. Is there any errors in my methodology or effects that I hadn’t considered? In short, was this the correct method?

Hello Sam,
First, thank you so much for all your hard work and patience. Please remember, many more people are using OSMC and most do not take the time to write comments or give appreciation, though most probably do appreciate your efforts.
I would suggest that everyone do a back up of their present settings first. Then, they all should do a fresh install using the new installer you kindly provided. As simple as that. The install only takes minutes and should prevent a lot of issues down the line, no matter how one has originally installed OSMC.
Again, thank you so much for doing all the hard work. We appreciate you and the whole team of developers/contributors.
Cheers.

1 Like

I have ran into a bit of a snag. If I try and use the regular OSMC installer from picking ATV1 and OS X. I get an error about the network?

if i try and use the image file “OSMC_TGT_appletv_20160118-HDD.img” it gives me this error.

thoughts suggestions?

Seems to be going around:

It’s fixed, but I don’t have a Mac at hand to compile the fix.

Should hopefully be resolved soon.

Sam

If I knew how to help you sam with somehow compiling it - i.e. you supply the directions LOL I’m sure any one of use would be happy to help you.

The installer has been updated for OS X and this issue should now be resolved.

Sam

Will this work from the Gen 1 AppleTV? Or does it need a newer version?

You need to download the latest installer from the OSMC web page

Hi Sam and all the OSMC users out there. I just installed the latest hard disk installation for the Apple TV1 and hey presto, it works perfectly :slight_smile: No more USB drive required after installation. Thanks a lot guys and keep up the great work.

Please note that the latest available update (as of Jan. 27, 2016) breaks the ATV1 HDD install. Do not install the latest update. I had to re-install OSMC HDD from a USB twice. Good luck.