OSMC Release Candidate

Please use this thread for general comments regarding the RC and make a new thread, using [RC] flag in the title, for specific issues.

This should be in its own thread but the simple answer is don’t click on settings, try the right arrow instead then up/down

I installed the RC for the Raspberry Pi (not 2) via the Linux installer and the SD card booted, formatted the disc and began “Installing files.” It gets about 10%, I’d say, and stops. I left it there for a good half hour with no change…

My pi 2 shows version 0.9.9 . By any chance does that mean I did upgrade from alpha 4 to rc1? Just sort if hoping I don’t have to reinstall but I am prepared to if needed.

Thanks for all the hard work!

We can only say so many times that reinstall is required.

No – you may have got some packages but not all that constitute a full upgrade

S

I’m getting the same result. Tried 3 times reflashing with the installer, and twice reflashing from the image itself but always stops at “installing files” at around 10%.

Can you please start a new thread and upload a log?

Sam

Please supply log and try different sd card/power supply in this thread RC install freezes at 10% - #3 by Dilligaf

Great job as always,fresh install went smoothly
Linux osmc 3.18.9-5-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 11 18:59:35 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux.VERSION=“Release Candidate” VERSION_ID=“0.9.9” ID=osmc ID_LIKE=debian

Is support for Hifi Berry still in this release, HifiBerry works a dream on Alpha 4 on RPi 2, and I dont want to upgrade and loose it?

Sam, I gotta say… WELL DONE! Really nice RC you put out there. It is looking absolutely gorgeous and running silky smooth. I can see lot of work done under the hood too. I guess that the waiting has payed off ;)… + I have finally managed to get my WiFi dongle working with OSMC

Thak you, Sam

Sam first thanks for your hard work and this awesome RC release!
The RC runs very smooth on both my PI’s.
Just Hyperion is not running anymore. It seems the /dev/spidev0.0 is not there or can’t been accessed anymore. Anybody has Hyperion running on RPI with RC?
Please help me.

Just to re-iterate some of the comments above, you MUST do a fresh install to RC if you are using any previous version, including the internal testing early March builds that some people have taken it upon themselves to install.

While it might appear that upgrading from a previous version “works” without apparent problems (and even reports the correct release version) some system packages will be out of date and will be unable to update in the future, causing you to have a mixture of old and new packages.

Also, some files which are preloaded in the image (and not part of any package) will not be present and correct. These will both cause you problems down the line, and cause a support burden for us trying to figure out if a particular problem a user is having is due to a genuine bug or because you have tried to upgrade a pre-RC release.

So please everyone, we mean what we say when we insist that you do do a fresh install to RC. If you have invested a lot of time setting up Kodi then it is usually ok (although still not recommended) to backup and restore your kodi folder located at /home/osmc/.kodi/ however if you have not done much configuration starting over is probably best to be on the safe side.

There will be no major changes or restructuring between RC and Final like there was between Alpha 4 and RC, only obvious bug fixes and last minute tweaks, so we will do everything in our power to ensure a smooth upgrade from RC to Final release, and we will be testing that upgrade process carefully before releasing it.

So those of you waiting to set up complicated configurations who might be worried about having to reinstall again can relax - upgrade from RC to Final (and beyond) should be a smooth process with no need to re-install.

We have invested a lot of time and effort to get our packaging system and upgrade process as solid and robust as possible. We think you’ll like the improvement in the upgrade system over Raspbmc. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can I update form Alpha 4, or can I at least keep my library settings from RC4 somehow?

Backup the .kodi folder as explained in the post above yours. That should do it as it also holds the databases from the scraping of your media.

Well done Sam and team :smile:

Great RC. Up and running again on both the PiB and PiB2.

Fresh install of course.

Is it possible to configure two network adapters with following configuration:

• adapter 1: wired connection with IPTV stream without internet
  • adapter 2: wireless connection with internet

If I turn both adapters, wired connection seems to have priority, my IPTV streams work, but there is no internet.
If I turn off wired adapter and only wifi adapter is turned on, internet connection works.

Now that the new release was pushed to NOOBS, do you think we’ll be able to have a multiboot system with it ?
I mean something like OSMC and Raspbian. Reinstalling everything, only to find out that noobs will support multiboot in a few days sounds a bit too much for me :stuck_out_tongue: